Is anybody using a DMR SS Conversion Kit?- Mtbr.com
    bikes are people too

Is anybody using a DMR SS Conversion Kit?

And is there any place here in the states that we can pick them up at a reasonable price? Seems like the DMR SIS Tensioner is getting some good reviews from you guys, was wondering if everything else in the kit works just as well?

And if anybody has any other suggestions about what they feel is a better SS conversion kit, please post that as well. Trying to get all my ducks in a line here before I go back upstate and grab my extra frame.
    Last edited by dip n ride; 11-03-2006 at 06:56 AM.
    2009 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    1973 Schwinn World Sport (Fixed)

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    Not exactly, but I do have the DMR spacers and sprocket for my rear hub, and run a DMR “Tension Seeker”. I broke the fixed spring on the tensioner pretty early on, but that was my own / my shops fault. DMR ended up sending me a Mk 2 kit free of charge, and I ended up modifying the tensioner with a MRP roller to quieten things down a little. Since then it’s been a bombproof setup.

I would imagine if my tensioner had been installed correctly to start with I wouldn’t have had any dramas. Even so, next time around I think I would go for a fixed tensioner like the “Simple Tension Seeker”, which is basically a Rennen clone. I think this is the tensioner that’s included in the kit anyway. Confused yet?

I don’t think you can go too wrong with the DMR stuff.

Dave.

bikes are people too
    Quote Originally Posted by Low_Rider
    Not exactly, but I do have the DMR spacers and sprocket for my rear hub, and run a DMR “Tension Seeker”. I broke the fixed spring on the tensioner pretty early on, but that was my own / my shops fault. DMR ended up sending me a Mk 2 kit free of charge, and I ended up modifying the tensioner with a MRP roller to quieten things down a little. Since then it’s been a bombproof setup.

I would imagine if my tensioner had been installed correctly to start with I wouldn’t have had any dramas. Even so, next time around I think I would go for a fixed tensioner like the “Simple Tension Seeker”, which is basically a Rennen clone. I think this is the tensioner that’s included in the kit anyway. Confused yet?
    haha.. well, we'll just see how big of a hole I can dig myself when i actually start building this thing. I've heard a lot about Rennen, and designs that are similar to Rennen.. they seem to get better feedback on the whole.

If I did end up with a fixed tensioner like that STS, would you recommend I get my LBS to do the installation or is this something that most bikers (capable of doing basic repairs/modifications) could just do at home?
    2009 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 4
    1973 Schwinn World Sport (Fixed)

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    It’s easy to do at home. I was lucky enough to use a (now) local bike shops workshop to work on my bike when I was away from home without tools, but one of the young apprentices decided to put my tensioner on for me one day while I wasn't about. He broke off one of the plates that holds the fixed spring, and just sandwiched the spring against the dropout instead, bending the spring around until it held tension.

It lasted a while before it lost tension and I found out what had happened. I managed to get a Mk2 upgrade kit from DMR with a new bushing and spring. It’s worked flawlessly ever since.

Sorry for the long story! To answer your question, yes, it’s a simple home job!

Dave.

mtbr member
    I got the Rennen tensioner and just as good, the spacer kit! Awesome, cause it has two adjustment spacers that spin to make the perfect allignment. There is no excuse for not getting the chain line perfect, may take a little time, but absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0