Are any of you singlespeeders having problems with you paragon sliding dropout?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Are any of you singlespeeders having problems with you paragon sliding dropout?

I posted something in tool time as well but think this might be a more appropriate place. I noticed some really rough braking right off the bat with my 2009 kona unit (warranty exchange). At first I thought it was the avid juicy 7's so cleaned and inspected everything really good. After that I tested them out in my living room while keeping an eye on the rear brake caliper, only to see the dropout pivot just slightly, almost an 1/8". Has anyone else had problems with this? I might think the dropout is worn but literally from day one it did this, any insight would be great.

holding back the darkness
    pictures would make this easier....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I don't know that a picture would help, not sure how to put it up anyway. Let me explain a bit deeper. Only when the brakes are compressed all the way, the non-drive side dropout (brake side) pivots under braking pressure. So where the dropout slides into the frame no mater how tight the bolts are, their is play which allows the brake caliper to rock back and forth while braking, causing very unusual and awkward braking.

mtbr member
    Do you mean that the whole aluminium plate (which is the dropout and caliper mount) is tilting forward under braking forces?

Too much clearance where it slides possibly - when you tighten the two bolts make sure that all play is taken up in the forward direction.

These aren't Paragons BTW - just sliding vertical dropouts (like Paragons but without such quality fit and finish .

aka baycat
    not paragons. check
    Last edited by Ryan G.; 02-25-2010 at 11:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks andy R.... everything is forward and tight, maybe I just need the real deal. (thanks for clarifying paragon vs. non paragon!) I'll double check the forward lean, pretty sure under normal braking it would automatically move forward which I think is the problem, only it move back too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    As stated, they're not Paragons on Konas, but close enough for this conversation.

It's hard to tell from your description if you're just having the dropout slide forward slightly, or if it's canting vertically or if it's canting horizontally under braking force.

So, first of all, do you have washers under the bolts? This will help if it's sliding forward, and really should be done for all sliding dropouts.

Second, if it's rocking vertically, then it sounds like the aluminum sliding drop is not fit properly to the frame, either from wear or the slot could be too large, allowing it to move under braking force.

Finally, if it's moving horizontally, outwards, then it sounds like the mount is misaligned, but I find this unlikely as the bolts on the slider should close down any gap that could be here.

Try taking the dropout off, clean everything up and see if it's a loose fit in the slider. You may need a new one, which you can get from Kona or your LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikeak
    I'll double check the forward lean, pretty sure under normal braking it would automatically move forward which I think is the problem, only it move back too.
    Well, surely if you make sure that any slack is taken up in the forward direction before you tighten down the fixing bolts then that will be as far forward as the dropout/brake mount can go?

Unless you ever do any braking while reversing (like rolling back to make a tight switchback, for example) there's never going to be much reverse torque applied.

Members who have read this thread: 0