Any Vulture Cyclocross frame owners out there??- Mtbr.com
    Not because I'm fast.....

Any Vulture Cyclocross frame owners out there??

If so, how do you like the frame and please post pictures if you have them?

Thanks!

Frequent Crasher
    I have a Vulture 29'er that I love. I am considering getting Wade to build me a freeride type hardtail, complete with gussets for a DC fork Wade does a great job.
    SB

mtbr member
    There arent a whole slew of Vulture cross frames out there, and thinking of most of the folks who have them, I doubt they would post here. I built myself one this summer and even tried a couple cross races. They were super fun but I got totally whupped. Next week the website should have some cross bike pics.
    cheers, Wade

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Hey Wade, you're building a freeride hardtail eh? I've been toying around the idea of a freeride 29er! As long as the frame can handle it, why not some 36 hole tandem rims and not yet available longer travel fork? Can it be done?

gentle like

padre, how come a freeride 29er?

i'm not meaning to dump on the concept at all, i'm just interested as to what would draw you to the idea - besides perhaps that it hasn't been done yet.

to elaborate, i just ordered my play hardtail (planet x from unreal - should arrive friday!) on which i don't plan to go all that big and still i was debating between 24" and 26" tires. wouldn't 29ers be fragile, and too slow in the 'flickable' -type moves, just as i was warned the 26ers might be?

as for the fork, you could always go rigid ... ouch. maybe not.

share your dream for we intrigued parties.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    wouldn't 29ers be fragile, and too slow in the 'flickable' -type moves, just as i was warned the 26ers might be? share your dream for we intrigued parties.
    At my size/height, flickable is the last thing on my mind...I'm interested in going downhill FAST and being able to drop stuff and clear stuff. I'm not an x-games kinda guy. No flips, whips, kicks, or x-ups for me. I assumed that a tandem 36 spoke type wheel could handle the duty. No way on the rigid, that sucks in EVERY department. I'm interested in a upside down type fork. It might now be possible... but it's worth a look. As hard as I'm riding my current 29er Vulture...I'm pretty sure the 29er freeride is within reason. So what if I'm 2 inches higher? On my Bullit with a 7" Jr. T, I'm sitting just as high...

Frequent Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Hey Wade, you're building a freeride hardtail eh? I've been toying around the idea of a freeride 29er! As long as the frame can handle it, why not some 36 hole tandem rims and not yet available longer travel fork? Can it be done?
    Well I was going to ask him if he would build me a freeride HT. I don't know if he has thought about it or not. I love the fit of my 29'er, but I wouldn't trust the current crop of rims to any medium sized drop or larger (4 ft and up). Something with short chainstays, big tire clearance, and a stout head tube, possibly a 1.5 headtube.
    Just a thought that crossed my mind.
    SB

Frequent Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    to elaborate, i just ordered my play hardtail (planet x from unreal - should arrive friday!) on which i don't plan to go all that big and still i was debating between 24" and 26" tires. .
    Which Planet X? I have a Ridgeback I just built up 1x9 with a dura-ace 12-27 cassette. I love the horizontal dropouts, but I always have room for 1 more... don't we all.
    SB

gentle like

a new jack flash ...

i was looking for something that could handle the medium size drops (4-5 ft), that i could ride with my friends in their local "north-shore-esque" play spots, and that i could also try my hand with at some urban/trials action - it just looks so damn cool. these are not necessarily such complimentary genres, i know.

ben from unreal cycles got good press in my research, and was a great help in my choosing (sorry, in the supergo era i feel i gotta plug the independents). it's built up with the heavy planet x parts (clydesdale), fsa x-drives, sherman flick, and - i must admit i'm excited to see this - a 1x9 setup with the new sram x7 stuff. not sure off the top of my head what that cassette runs, but a couple teeth here or there doesn't really concern me. 32t chainring. oh, and that badass black/orange dragon paint. had i not seriously wanted to try my hand at trials, i would have waited and gone with the new armadillo.

i had dreamed of a custom freeride hardtail myself, but really the cost-vs-use issue quelled that for me - i mean, i do plan to freeride it, after all. plus despite my odd proportions i fit stock frames of all genres just fine. so as much as i'd love custom xc and freeride hardtails, i got my both my new (in the last year) xc and freeride bikes for about what just one of those in custom would cost. as it was i had to go through some 'contract negotiations' with my wife in order to secure the planet x; there will be no more bikes for me until i turn 30 - so, about 3 years. and it means i have a rocky mountain hardtail to get rid of - don't worry, i will pay and post in the classifieds once the weather turns a little more springlike.

still, it is too bad as those vulture frames look awesome. that black frame someone posted/was selling a few weeks back ... with the amazing chainstay-to-bb job ... wow. with a 1/5 and beefed up ... that would be something sweet.

Frequent Crasher
    Well I know we jacked this thread, but Wade @ Vulture makes some AWESOME bikes. I paid like $550 for my custom 29'er. I could not be happier with it. I got a screaming deal on the Ridgeback with a Fox Vanilla 125R. I am running an E.13 SRS with a 38T front. I am using an XTR RD from my old GT XC bike.
    SB

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by 2farfwd
    If so, how do you like the frame and please post pictures if you have them?

Thanks!

Yo Chris!

vulture crosser? sounds like a fun project. Wade is a true freak of nature and an all-around good guy.

hows life? colo treating you good? hey- my dad's finally retiring...on april fools day. think that'll make an impact?

email me- lets chat:
    e2cflyr at msn dot com.
    Last edited by SlowSSer; 02-17-2004 at 02:48 PM.

gentle like

jacking is always a risk

when you fly the friendly skies. that's an excellent price on the frame: i'll keep vulture in mind when next i am looking around ... there was a "stolen or broken" clause in the bike negotiations. and i have yet to not bust up an aluminium frame ... though they've all still been under warranty.