any thought on nashbar singlespeed kit- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

any thought on nashbar singlespeed kit

The price seems pretty good, but are they crap, or would they work. I am also open to other ideas.

thanks.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=14063e

mtbr member

I looked at it, but...

The main reason I did not buy it was the chain tensioner. I really wanted something I knew would work and so I ended up buying a Surley Singleator. Jenson had thenm for $37The other deal from me was I needed more than a 16 t cog. I ended getting the singleator and a set of spacers from Jenson and a 20t cog from my LBS for about $5.00. Ended up costing more but I am glad I did the Singleator works very well and is well made.

not that the kit from NAshbar would not work. just my 2cents... Actually for that price alone if all you used was the spacers and bought another chain tensioner the cogs and extra tensioner would be close to being free!

Jenson has other kit options also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Check out http://http://www.misfitpsycles.com/...0c854665972c7f
    they know what they are doing
    Raw power's got a healing hand
    Raw power can destroy a man
    Raw power is so more than soul
    Got a son called rock and roll

98 % of all teens do drugs or have tried drugs if you are in the 98 % range copy and paste this in to your Signature

mtbr member
    I bought it, installed it and rode it. Works great, the tensioner works like a champ. Bye bye.
    "Hot nasty American Speed"

Happy trails

Ditto...

works great for me also.
    Aaron

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    I recommend the singleator instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I went ahead and ordered it

It seem like for the price of the spacers and cogs, it was worth it alone. If the tensioner works great, if not the price was reasonable for the other parts and I can still get another tensioner (although it would be much pricier).

My single speed is almost there. I am just waiting for the tensioner now.

Just hit it with speed
    Hey guys I got a quick question. I bought the Nashbar kit and installed it. The spacers and rear cogs all seem to be of decent quality and the ratio with my stock front chainwheel is perfect (about the same as what my 32x18 on my 29" feels like). The tensioner works well in its current pushing down position but under load the chain skips which really takes the wind out of your sails on decent uphills. I think that is the best way to describe it but I am sure you guys know what I mean.

My question is does anyone know if this tensioner (Nashbar) can be used in the push up position and/or have any ideas how I can prevent this? Removing links seems like the best idea(assuming the tensioner won't push up) since that would effectively create more contact on the rear cog by being tight. (It already was pretty tough closing the links though). Thanks guys.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

mtbr member

skipping chain

a skipping chain on an uphill does not sound like a problem at all with the tensioner. I also have the nashbar tensioner kit on a Gary Fisher. works like a champ--seems loud.

I would think (I am not a bike mechanic, nor an electrician, or an M.D. or an attorney) that chain skipping would have more to do with wasted chain rings and/or worn teeth.

just my $.02
    Don't get stuck on stupid!

you go ahead
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GFisher2001
    Hey guys I got a quick question. I bought the Nashbar kit and installed it. The spacers and rear cogs all seem to be of decent quality and the ratio with my stock front chainwheel is perfect (about the same as what my 32x18 on my 29" feels like). The tensioner works well in its current pushing down position but under load the chain skips which really takes the wind out of your sails on decent uphills. I think that is the best way to describe it but I am sure you guys know what I mean.

My question is does anyone know if this tensioner (Nashbar) can be used in the push up position and/or have any ideas how I can prevent this? Removing links seems like the best idea(assuming the tensioner won't push up) since that would effectively create more contact on the rear cog by being tight. (It already was pretty tough closing the links though). Thanks guys.
    Here's an idea.... To run it in push up mode, attack it to your chainstay with rubber bands without using the spring.

Just hit it with speed
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBearings
    Here's an idea.... To run it in push up mode, attack it to your chainstay with rubber bands without using the spring.
    I appreciate the suggestion but i find it hard to believe that would work. I have heard about the zip-tie maneuver but I am skeptical as this would not allow any motion.
    Don't hate on the minivan!!!!!!!

Space for rent...
    I appreciate the suggestion but i find it hard to believe that would work. I have heard about the zip-tie maneuver but I am skeptical as this would not allow any motion.
    By pushing up, you get more wrap on the rear teeth. More wrap will result in less chance of slipping.

Why do you need motion? The "best" tensioner, would be one that does not move, but give a constant tension to the chain. The tension itself is mostly irrelevant, all you are trying to do is transmit motion, without slipping. You can have a relative "loose: chain, and as long as it doesn't slip, it will do the job.

The thing to remember about those "kits", for the most part, they are an inexpensive way of trying-out singlespeeding. Certainly not a long-term solution, if you intend to do a lot of riding. Having said that, they are more than adequate for the intended purpose. I say go for it!
    It's only pain......

on my 3rd wind...

Had the same tensioner. Pyramid brand. Same exact issue as you described. It happens to some when some are using a combination of gear on a certain length chainstay. You must be unlucky as I. Tried every thing I can think of and all the suggestions from mtbr ss'ders. And trust me it was not due to a worn drivetrain parts. Only thing worked was zip tie method. Worked well but got tired of clipping the zip tie on and off constantly for various reasons. So I bought the Gusset (Rennen style) chain tensioner; in push up mode. It works fantastic and looks great!
    sth

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have the Nashbar kit, but didn't like the tensioner, so i got a halflink and got rid of the tensioner.
    pUt Da LiMe In Da CoKe YoU nUt

Steamroller

Exactly

You are not shifting gears, so why would you want any motion? I'm not a fan of chain tensioners but I understand why people need them for some conversions. I always recommend the rennen.....rollenager, I think it's called. I like it because it locks in the tension, like a dedicated SS bike would except with the use of a third cog or wheel which is tightened at proper tension. The only reason some spring tension that allows for adjustment seems like it would be nice is if you have a very out of round ring.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Does this kit work with 9-speed chains?

Members who have read this thread: 0