mtbr member
    Feb 2005

any ss weight weenie cranksets?

are there any ss specific light weight cranksets available or do I have to modify a non-ss crankset to get something as light as possible?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    White Industries ENO that's pretty light & SS specific....

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Not SS specific...

...but dead sexy and SUPER light:

Run an FSA compact crank with the included 34t on the outside position. You might have to use shorter chainring bolts. Whole setup weighs 420-430g, which is about 100g lighter than the Eno and a bit stiffer to boot. Ten year warranty for those who don't think carbon cranks will last... I have never had a single problem and I have used and abused more than a few sets in my day.

Drawbacks: Price (at $330, the FSA is almost twice the $180 for the Eno), and 175mm is the longest arm you can get on the FSA compact. The Eno is a nice crankset and for the price you can't beat it, but if weight is a concern and you ride 175mm, you will be happy with this FSA setup.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybaby
    are there any ss specific light weight cranksets available or do I have to modify a non-ss crankset to get something as light as possible?
    Attached Images Attached Images

J_T
    Pale-ale-ontologist

Not SS specific either but...

One monkey to another - You might have an XTR laying around. Finding a spiderless chainring might be somewhat harder. Pretty darn light though. Those carbon fiber cranks look awesome but I'm a bit untrusting of their durability for a big guy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

checked out FSA crank at lbs today

looks real nice! also see that the 32T can be ordered if wanted. since my weight is not an issue with the carbon cranks this will most likely be the way I go unless I find something lighter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Hollowtech II XT

unless you have a problem riding Shimano. The whole thing including bottom bracket and a single ring is about 700 grams.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

I really like that XTR setup

I have been looking for a pair of XTR arms to run with a dedicated chainring/spider like the Jericho. They look really good IMO. It is tough to find them used even in 175 if you don't want the massive shoe rub, though. Anyone out there want to dump some 180s in mint condition? =) Yours are in good shape compared to what I have seen out there. Nice.

Adding 180-200g for a BB to the FSA still comes in at approximately 80-100g lighter than Shimano, which to weight weenies is pretty significant.

I just like carbon cranks because when you hit them together they sound like those wooden music sticks you played with in Kindergarten.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    unless you have a problem riding Shimano. The whole thing including bottom bracket and a single ring is about 700 grams.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    They look really good IMO. It is tough to find them used even in 175 if you don't want the massive shoe rub, though.
    I've done this to a few 950 version XTR cranks that were hammered. Looks better than one section rubbed off from heel scrape in my opinion.
    "Do not touch the trim"

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    ...but dead sexy and SUPER light:

Run an FSA compact crank with the included 34t on the outside position. You might have to use shorter chainring bolts. Whole setup weighs 420-430g, which is about 100g lighter than the Eno and a bit stiffer to boot. Ten year warranty for those who don't think carbon cranks will last... I have never had a single problem and I have used and abused more than a few sets in my day.

Drawbacks: Price (at $330, the FSA is almost twice the $180 for the Eno), and 175mm is the longest arm you can get on the FSA compact. The Eno is a nice crankset and for the price you can't beat it, but if weight is a concern and you ride 175mm, you will be happy with this FSA setup.

JMH
    You could go for this.I'm very happy with this set up.FSA bmx carbon crank.The crank is $199.00 and the ring is $100.00
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if Boone makes a ring with the fancy machining (like savious machine is running), in 34 or 36, but in standard size not XTR-type spline? Seems it's only the outer rings with a bigger teeth count, and the XTR-type one, that have the lovely wavy machining. I guess there might not be room for it with the bolt holes in the way.

blame me for missed rides
    middleburn RS8 with uno ring.

On your left!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvain
    Does anyone know if Boone makes a ring with the fancy machining (like savious machine is running), in 34 or 36, but in standard size not XTR-type spline? Seems it's only the outer rings with a bigger teeth count, and the XTR-type one, that have the lovely wavy machining. I guess there might not be room for it with the bolt holes in the way.
    the wavy comes in the spiderless only.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!

Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.