Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    121

    any ss weight weenie cranksets?

    are there any ss specific light weight cranksets available or do I have to modify a non-ss crankset to get something as light as possible?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    373
    White Industries ENO that's pretty light & SS specific....

  3. #3
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,660

    Not SS specific...

    ...but dead sexy and SUPER light:

    Run an FSA compact crank with the included 34t on the outside position. You might have to use shorter chainring bolts. Whole setup weighs 420-430g, which is about 100g lighter than the Eno and a bit stiffer to boot. Ten year warranty for those who don't think carbon cranks will last... I have never had a single problem and I have used and abused more than a few sets in my day.

    Drawbacks: Price (at $330, the FSA is almost twice the $180 for the Eno), and 175mm is the longest arm you can get on the FSA compact. The Eno is a nice crankset and for the price you can't beat it, but if weight is a concern and you ride 175mm, you will be happy with this FSA setup.

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by monkeybaby
    are there any ss specific light weight cranksets available or do I have to modify a non-ss crankset to get something as light as possible?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    J_T
    J_T is offline
    Pale-ale-ontologist
    Reputation: J_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    130

    Not SS specific either but...

    One monkey to another - You might have an XTR laying around. Finding a spiderless chainring might be somewhat harder. Pretty darn light though. Those carbon fiber cranks look awesome but I'm a bit untrusting of their durability for a big guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    121

    checked out FSA crank at lbs today

    looks real nice! also see that the 32T can be ordered if wanted. since my weight is not an issue with the carbon cranks this will most likely be the way I go unless I find something lighter.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,438

    New Hollowtech II XT

    unless you have a problem riding Shimano. The whole thing including bottom bracket and a single ring is about 700 grams.

  7. #7
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,660

    I really like that XTR setup

    I have been looking for a pair of XTR arms to run with a dedicated chainring/spider like the Jericho. They look really good IMO. It is tough to find them used even in 175 if you don't want the massive shoe rub, though. Anyone out there want to dump some 180s in mint condition? =) Yours are in good shape compared to what I have seen out there. Nice.

    Adding 180-200g for a BB to the FSA still comes in at approximately 80-100g lighter than Shimano, which to weight weenies is pretty significant.

    I just like carbon cranks because when you hit them together they sound like those wooden music sticks you played with in Kindergarten.

    JMH

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger___
    unless you have a problem riding Shimano. The whole thing including bottom bracket and a single ring is about 700 grams.

  8. #8
    Don't be a sheep
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    They look really good IMO. It is tough to find them used even in 175 if you don't want the massive shoe rub, though.
    I've done this to a few 950 version XTR cranks that were hammered. Looks better than one section rubbed off from heel scrape in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Do not touch the trim"

  9. #9
    On your left!!!!!
    Reputation: saviour machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    ...but dead sexy and SUPER light:

    Run an FSA compact crank with the included 34t on the outside position. You might have to use shorter chainring bolts. Whole setup weighs 420-430g, which is about 100g lighter than the Eno and a bit stiffer to boot. Ten year warranty for those who don't think carbon cranks will last... I have never had a single problem and I have used and abused more than a few sets in my day.

    Drawbacks: Price (at $330, the FSA is almost twice the $180 for the Eno), and 175mm is the longest arm you can get on the FSA compact. The Eno is a nice crankset and for the price you can't beat it, but if weight is a concern and you ride 175mm, you will be happy with this FSA setup.

    JMH
    You could go for this.I'm very happy with this set up.FSA bmx carbon crank.The crank is $199.00 and the ring is $100.00
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!




    Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sylvain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    126
    Does anyone know if Boone makes a ring with the fancy machining (like savious machine is running), in 34 or 36, but in standard size not XTR-type spline? Seems it's only the outer rings with a bigger teeth count, and the XTR-type one, that have the lovely wavy machining. I guess there might not be room for it with the bolt holes in the way.

  11. #11
    blame me for missed rides
    Reputation: weather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    789
    middleburn RS8 with uno ring.

  12. #12
    On your left!!!!!
    Reputation: saviour machine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvain
    Does anyone know if Boone makes a ring with the fancy machining (like savious machine is running), in 34 or 36, but in standard size not XTR-type spline? Seems it's only the outer rings with a bigger teeth count, and the XTR-type one, that have the lovely wavy machining. I guess there might not be room for it with the bolt holes in the way.
    the wavy comes in the spiderless only.
    I'm poor, broke,busted,disgusted and can't be trusted!




    Every man belieives in something and I believe I'll have one more beer.

Similar Threads

  1. SS frame for weight weenies
    By mgsuarez in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-20-2005, 06:15 AM
  2. Are integrated cranksets for weight weenies?
    By Patchito in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-31-2005, 10:22 AM
  3. 1518gram $110 budget weight weenie wheelset
    By ashwinearl in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-29-2004, 11:14 AM
  4. Budget weight weenie front wheel
    By ashwinearl in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 09:30 PM
  5. The Official Weight Weenies F.A.Q
    By Trevor! in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 01:31 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.