Any specific issues to adjust EBB?- Mtbr.com
    Peace & Love

Any specific issues to adjust EBB?

Is there anything specific to adjusting the EBB position that this dumb blond should be aware of before I start messing with it?

It looks like a little more chain tension would be a good idea.

Is it as simple as

* loosening the set screws
    * moving the EBB position / How do you move it....can you just push the cranks to move its position?
    * and then tightening the set screws?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 06-15-2005 at 07:16 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    That is pretty much it. You may need to use an allen wrench in a hole in the EBB and lever it against the spindle to move it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

As Mr. Shiggy said

Just make shure to put a little padding, I use an old tube, between the allen wrench and your crank arm if you do it that way.
    I marked up my old Truvativ's with a wrench and I'm not screwing up the ENO's or the Phil spindle.
    I Love your Kiss-Off BTW, I always love looking at the blue hubs that webcyclery has in thier case

Shiggy, sorry I haven't shown up in your neck of the woods, been busy with work and stuff.
    Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

Peace & Love
    thanks guys....it sounds like it really is pretty simple. cant wait to take it out for a ride!

Category Winner

2 things

If you use a Park Y-wrench (at least the model I have) the allen keys are coated in Park blue plastic so it won't scratch your crank. You also have all the tools you need to do the job in one hand.
    The other thing;
    I assume you have the way cool EBB from PW. The biggest hole has a small hole cut all the way through the shell. Good thing is a 5mm fits tight in the hole and if you mar the finish you can't see it. Bad thing is that water, grime, and muck find their way into your BB shell very easily. I just took mine out last night and there was a lot of nasty in there. I may plug the holes and start using the smallest hole and a 4mm to adjust the EBB.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    If you use a Park Y-wrench (at least the model I have) the allen keys are coated in Park blue plastic so it won't scratch your crank. You also have all the tools you need to do the job in one hand.
    The other thing;
    I assume you have the way cool EBB from PW. The biggest hole has a small hole cut all the way through the shell. Good thing is a 5mm fits tight in the hole and if you mar the finish you can't see it. Bad thing is that water, grime, and muck find their way into your BB shell very easily. I just took mine out last night and there was a lot of nasty in there. I may plug the holes and start using the smallest hole and a 4mm to adjust the EBB.
    turns out I did not really need tools to move it. pushed and tugged on the crank arms and it moved. could it be that it is because it is new and well greased which made it easy to move?

mtbr member

chain tension???

Can you tighten the chain on with an EBB too tight? My chain is tight as heck, and I was wondering if there is any downside to that much tension. Thanks, CK

I hope I am not infringing on this post by asking a slightly off topic question...
    Truffle Shuffle

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla
    Can you tighten the chain on with an EBB too tight? My chain is tight as heck, and I was wondering if there is any downside to that much tension. Thanks, CK

I hope I am not infringing on this post by asking a slightly off topic question...
    Yes. Same as any other method to adjust the chain.

Too tight increases wear and can trash bearings in short order.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by cavitykilla

great question...thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Yes. Same as any other method to adjust the chain.

Too tight increases wear and can trash bearings in short order.
    But what is too tight? I'd think that as long as the cranks don't bind there shouldn't be a problem. At least that's been my approach to no ill effect so far. Maybe some slack should be left to accomodate frame flex?
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Out spokin'

Heck yes

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    great question...thanks for asking. I was wondering the same thing.
    The chain is too tight if the cranks don't spin freely when you kick them backward. There should be far less drivetrain drag on a properly tensioned singlespeed than that caused by typical derailleur spring tension on a geared drivetrain. If chain tension (as opposed to freewheel/freehub friction) causes the crank to stop spinning when you kick it into motion, the chain is too tight.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    The chain is too tight if the cranks don't spin freely when you kick them backward. There should be far less drivetrain drag on a properly tensioned singlespeed than that caused by typical derailleur spring tension on a geared drivetrain. If chain tension (as opposed to freewheel/freehub friction) causes the crank to stop spinning when you kick it into motion, the chain is too tight.

--Sparty
    thanks for that clarification. However, the freewheel drag from the ENO is definitely contributing so I will have to try to sort out the friction from one over the other but that was helpful.

cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    thanks for that clarification. However, the freewheel drag from the ENO is definitely contributing so I will have to try to sort out the friction from one over the other but that was helpful.

cheers
    Watch out for chain stretch too. I usually tighten my EBB so the new chain is slightly too tight After the first ride it needs just a bit of adjustment. It will continue to stretch a lot for a few rides but it may not require much further adjustment after that.