Any "Road Only"or "Road Mostly" SSer's?....- Mtbr.com
    Seaside stand up!

Any "Road Only"or "Road Mostly" SSer's?....

Looking for advice/ideas, I'm considering building a nice steel road frame I have into a SS.Whats the average gearing you guys/gals are runnning? I live on the Monterey Penisula, not alot of killer hills, but not flat either. Any trouble on group rides or local crits? I will mostly ride alone on it until I feel that I'm on equal footing with the groups I ride with. The bike could see alot of use (I love my SS MTB), I just want to make sure its a viable option on group/training rides. It's cool to pass a geared MTB on a hill, but can you drop the hammer on a SS road bike????? Thanks in advance.
    antonio

mtbr member

I have one

Quote Originally Posted by djkellycx
    . . . . I just want to make sure its a viable option on group/training rides. It's cool to pass a geared MTB on a hill, but can you drop the hammer on a SS road bike????? Thanks in advance.
    I have a SS MTB and a SS road bike. 42/17 on the road bike is perfect (IMHO) for the Texas hill country where I live. I ride with a gearie buddy and I smoke him on the climbs (I have no choice), then he kills me on the descents. Pretty much evens out. On the flats we maintain about the same speed.

I really thought it was going to be tougher than it turned out to be, but it has been an absoute blast. Give it a try. If you're already familiar with SS'ing on the dirt then I'll bet you'll take to it right away.

Have fun!

mtbr member

if yer gonna ditch the gears on the road bike...

...then you might as well ditch the coasting, too - make it a fixie, already! i actually built my fixie before i converted to mtb ss'ing. it makes road riding LOADS of fun, believe me. i go 42:16, and i find it's good for somewhat hilly providence, but if it's flattter where you live, you may want a bigger gear.

a few weeks ago i took the fixie on a group ride on the local bike path at night. a few guys decided they wanted to be hard-ons and try and leave the rest of the group behind. i rolled up behind them with my one geared bike that doesn't coast, we exchanged drafts for a few minutes, and then they gave up. so yeah, after a few weeks or so of fixie riding, you should definitely be able to keep up with the "locals" :-)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Check out what I'm doing this summer:

bikeandbuild.org
    My profile

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

not mostly roadie, but....

when i am on my roadie, other than going for long mountain road rides, i'm on my fixie. 46x18. same size freewheel cog on the flip side, which i've not yet had to use.

easiest way is to just get a few cog/generic ring sizes and play around with them until you get what gearing you like. they run fairly cheap. ~20 for cogs, and you can get whatever cheap ring you want. once you find the size you like, use it until it dies, then replace with a nicer ring/brand if you want. 42x16 is a good place to start, and go up or down from there.

yes, you can hammer on it. i lose time on descents locally, but make it up fairly well on the rolling climbs. for the loooooong/steep mountain roads, i still take the geared bike. 'cause i'm a wuss.

go for it!
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

KgB
    SNGLSPD

go fixie or go geared

singlespeed and road bikes do not mix.
    I've been inside too long.

Cracker-magnon

definitely fixie

I had a freewheel on mine for about a week or so...felt completely pointless. I am trying to commute every day lately on the fixie and I feel much more satisfied in working the whole 11-12 miles each way, than coasting on the descents. When you start back pedaling on the downhills it will open you up to a whole new muscle pain for a while.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

second on going fixed gear

SS on the road is just boring. Ride a fixed gear and get in touch with the Hard Men of the Road who rode bikes like that in the early Euro stage races. Forced spinning builds strong bodies 12 ways. Also builds character.

Retro Grouch

Yes and no..

I come from a roadie background and after converting to MTB SS, I figured I'd do the same on my road bike. It's not the same but still a hoot. First you loose any real speed advantage on a SS unless all you do is climb. After riding a freewheel road bike (SS roadie) for about 6 months and doing a Century, I bought a fixed gear and really never went back. I like to ride hills and Santa Cruz is full of them. My SS roadie is 42:16 and my fixed gear is 47:18 (that's the way it came). Anyway they are just about the same gear inches and I did the same Century (Solvang) the following year on my fixed gear. The only time I plan to take out the SS roadie is when I ride Eureka Cyn; 20 miles up (1000 ft climb) and 20 miles down. On my fixie the down hill is down right dangerous.

1G1G, Brad

Medium?

Unfortunately lately

I haven't been riding as much dirt as I'd like, but I've been on the fixie almost every day. Mine is geared 53:19. The biggest hill I have to tackle is an overpass, but there are a couple of downhills for which I'd like a bigger gear. It's pretty hairy spinning 120rpm with a heavy backpack on, in traffic, at night.

It's a b<b>i</b>tch pedaling this gear for 30 miles into a headwind.

Members who have read this thread: 0