Any reviews on the White Industries Eccentric hub?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any reviews on the White Industries Eccentric hub?

I am looking to get back into MTB a little. I went to pure road two years ago, but having moved recently to Albuquerque, am looking to hit some of the trails at the base of the mountain. The trails are pretty rolling and open in parts, and I think a SS would be the way to have fun without tempting the full on MTB racing scene I left behind a few years ago. One gear should keep me level headed.

Anyways...I have two frames to choose from in my attic. One is a Kestrel CSX with 130mm spacing. It is first year production from Kestrel. I rescued it from a buddy who was getting divorced and was going to give it away on ebay for quick cash. Might be fun, but leary of BB flex under low cadence pedaling

Next frame choice is Litespeed unicoi I was racing when I quit. I am not sure the rear shock will be a hassle for out of the saddle climbing again. I guess I will try to find the lesser of two evils.

My question is this, I don't like the looks of chain tensioners, and the new White Industries hubs claim you don't need one. I have used their hubs in the past for cross country wheels and am familiar with durability and quirks, but I am curious about the SS aspect of the chain tension. Haven't found much about these on the net, and hope you guys can help. Taking votes on which frame to build as the SS ride too.

mtbr member
    I built up a SS with a white industries eno eccentric hub. Works great and its easy to adjust the chain. Only problem is getting the freewheel off. The standard four prong freewheel remover will not fit unless you take off the eccentric spacer. At which point you do not have a way of securing the freewheel remover to the freewheel for removal. Sound confusing....... call white industries and ask them how to take it off. If you like their solution then buy it.

Not looking forward to replacing the freewheel

Quote Originally Posted by spookyload
    I am looking to get back into MTB a little. I went to pure road two years ago, but having moved recently to Albuquerque, am looking to hit some of the trails at the base of the mountain. The trails are pretty rolling and open in parts, and I think a SS would be the way to have fun without tempting the full on MTB racing scene I left behind a few years ago. One gear should keep me level headed.

Anyways...I have two frames to choose from in my attic. One is a Kestrel CSX with 130mm spacing. It is first year production from Kestrel. I rescued it from a buddy who was getting divorced and was going to give it away on ebay for quick cash. Might be fun, but leary of BB flex under low cadence pedaling

Next frame choice is Litespeed unicoi I was racing when I quit. I am not sure the rear shock will be a hassle for out of the saddle climbing again. I guess I will try to find the lesser of two evils.

My question is this, I don't like the looks of chain tensioners, and the new White Industries hubs claim you don't need one. I have used their hubs in the past for cross country wheels and am familiar with durability and quirks, but I am curious about the SS aspect of the chain tension. Haven't found much about these on the net, and hope you guys can help. Taking votes on which frame to build as the SS ride too.

Witty McWitterson
    Go for it. The WI hub is a ture work of art, one of those doh! why didn't I... things. As far as quirks go...I don't think there really are any save for the freewheel removal thing, and its really not that hard to do.

The bike I'd do up would be the Unicoi, hell, you can play with the sticker so it says UNI, so I think that's a dead give away there! I'd also investigate using the Kestrel too as it'd probably be fun. I'm betting that you can find a gera that'll be veeery close w/o a tensioner, or using a half link.
    Just a regular guy.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I've been using the ENO on my fixed gear commuter since last summer. Zero problems, zero issues and I'm calling White today to order another one to convert my old Salsa into a single speed commuter.

Mike

No relation

So far it's working perfectly.

Taking votes on which frame to build as the SS ride too.
    I did a conversion a couple of weeks ago, and the hub works like a charm. One thing I was worried about was that my gear combination ended up with the eccentric pointing at about 11 o'clock, but I cranked down on the bolts and there's been no movement. This is on a titanium dropout, which I think has the reputation for being hardest to hold onto. I may get a half link so I can set it at the more desirable 2 o'clock position.

Plus the hub is very aesthetically pleasing.

I'd convert the Unicoi first, and then the Kestrel.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the inputs. I was sort of leaning toward the Unicoi due to its 135mm spacing, where the Kestrel has 130mm. That way I can always use the rear hub on any frame I choose. I might get another for the kestrel anyways if they make it in 130mm. If not I know Chris King does and I will have to live with the tensioner.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the inputs. I was sort of leaning toward the Unicoi due to its 135mm spacing, where the Kestrel has 130mm. That way I can always use the rear hub on any frame I choose. I might get another for the kestrel anyways if they make it in 130mm. If not I know Chris King does and I will have to live with the tensioner.
    Check it out: "The hub can be ordered in 28h, 32h or 36h for frame spacings of 126mm, 130mm or 135mm"

So yes, we have what you need. Just call the office to order at 707-769-5600
    http://www.whiteind.com/eno.htm
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 03-30-2004 at 03:13 PM. Reason: .

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

aesthetically pleasing

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod
    Plus the hub is very aesthetically pleasing.
    "in other words, fly."

name that tune: artist & title.