Any reason a fixie couldn't be Left Hand Drive?- Mtbr.com
    Medium?

Any reason a fixie couldn't be Left Hand Drive?

Its too warm here....

Nope.

In fact, it is the perfect application for a left side drive. Very cool with those bling cranks.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick." T.R. Roosevelt

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

chainstay clearance

some frames may have insufficient clearance for the crank arm on the "left" side. surely you've seen some "right" side chainstays that were either manipulated or even crimped. iwth the right bb spindle length and rear hub spacing you could probably make it work. you'd definitely blow some people's minds with that.

ali'i hua
    doesnt sheldon brown have a left hand drive SS (or fixie?) on his site?

thought I saw one over there- maybe the pic is reversed????

semi-evolved simian
    Sweet.... you could have a chainring on <b>both</b> sides... uhh... with two freewheels in the back. Yeah. If you had one smaller than the other then you could like go slower backward than forwards. Yeah, that's it. That would be super cool. I think

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Fixie or freewheel. Just gotta get the left hand threaded hub and ACS Southpaw left side freewheel. Some BMX bikes have left side drive right outta the box.

singlespeed smash brother
    Some guy here did it on his mtb. His pedals fell off.

I saw a guy at the ss wc last year with a dual drive. Chain, chainring and freewheels on both sides. Said it was a bmx set up for when you want to grind on either side.

"Mr. Britannica"

yes

I've thought about this... you CAN do it, but not with clipless pedals. I think it is possible with old-school road pedals; all you need to do is remove the cages and swap them. The more expensive option is to use a tandem (captain/front) crank which has no problems with pedal threading being reversed. Would definitely have to use a lockring for the cog.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    I've thought about this... you CAN do it, but not with clipless pedals. I think it is possible with old-school road pedals; all you need to do is remove the cages and swap them. The more expensive option is to use a tandem (captain/front) crank which has no problems with pedal threading being reversed. Would definitely have to use a lockring for the cog.
    Y'all are missing the specs for the cranks in question in Fast Eddy's original post. They are the timing cranks and have left side pedal threads. These arms would work perfectly for a left side drive bike without any pedal modifications. All you need for a single left side drive bike would be the captain's right side arm. Then you'd have the perfect left side drive bike.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    I remember reading a story in a bike mag a bunch of years ago about a 1 legged bike courier in New York that had a left hand drive bike.

The story told about how his bike was stolen one time, and the thief took it to a shop and the guys there recognized the bike immediately. Called the cops, etc.

Anyone else remember the article?

mtbr member

Smile

You should be able to run clipless pedals on left hand drive setup. So long as the retaining nut is right hand thread on the spindle then just swap the axles over and bolt them straight up. The other extreme option is to run your cleats back to front. I am not sure how well this would work but there is nothing to stop from trying it out. Would spin alot of people out.
    'When he's not in action, he's in traction.'

mtbr member

here is an example

Here is a well worm link showing a left side fixie. http://www.absss.org/id66.htm

I vaguely remember seeing a fixed gear hub that uses splines with a simple locking to secure the track cog. Similar to the Chris King SS rear hub, but fixed. This would help to prevent unthreading the lock ring and hub since the splines prevent rotation rather than threads and lock ring.

I run a converted fixed freewheel and have never unthreaded the lock ring securing my cog so this may bit be too much of an issue if you run brakes.

Cheers Eric

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Eggbeaters?

They look like they would work with your shoes backward.

Quote Originally Posted by devlin
    You should be able to run clipless pedals on left hand drive setup. So long as the retaining nut is right hand thread on the spindle then just swap the axles over and bolt them straight up. The other extreme option is to run your cleats back to front. I am not sure how well this would work but there is nothing to stop from trying it out. Would spin alot of people out.

Needed Less ~ Did More

Search back through here.....Found it!

I posted a picture of my green powder coated LHD Speccy Stumpjumper.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=4082

I used Sugino tandem cranks, and other than that, regular kit. Just make sure that the lock-ring is engaging enough threads to keep the cog in place!

Later

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

Appalachian Singletrack'n

Sheldon Brown has one......

Check out Sheldon Brown's Gunnar "Street Dog"

http://sheldonbrown.org/gunnar/index.html

He used a tandem crank.

"Mr. Britannica"

holy f#cking stem extension!!!

What in the world is going on there???

Expert Pushing SSer

More of a passive...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    What in the world is going on there???
    suspension approach

Mike
    Tuff Schist

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Why?

To piggyback onto this topic... why go left side drive on a fixie or single speed? Just to be different? I've actually ridden a left side drive 20", and I loved being able to grind freely on my right hand side, but I just don't get it otherwise. Given the wierdness, with having to find somewhat specialized parts, it seems counter productive to me. Please educate me if there's a better reason...

Sean

ballbuster

Heck, go for broke, BOTH SIDE DRIVE!

Imagine how stiff that drivetrain would be!

Medium?

Click the link in the original post

You can get a nice tandem crank with the spider on the left for cheap.

From the land Down Under
    [QUOTE=shwinboy]Some guy here did it on his mtb. His pedals fell off. [QUOTE]

Hey shwinboy that was me!
    It was a good idea at the time. I bought a dual drive BMX hub & ACS southpaw freewheel. I have bullseye cranks that will install OK as left side drive. I just forgot about the pedal issue. I used blue loctite on the pedal threads & it worked OK for a few months. The SPD engagement never felt right though. I changed back to right drive just after one pedal unscrewed itself during a dirt crit.

Unfit Norwegian

Great idea!

[QUOTE=Velophile][QUOTE=shwinboy]Some guy here did it on his mtb. His pedals fell off.

Hey shwinboy that was me!
    It was a good idea at the time. I bought a dual drive BMX hub & ACS southpaw freewheel. I have bullseye cranks that will install OK as left side drive. I just forgot about the pedal issue. I used blue loctite on the pedal threads & it worked OK for a few months. The SPD engagement never felt right though. I changed back to right drive just after one pedal unscrewed itself during a dirt crit.
    But it would have worked fine with a tandem captain's crankset, right?

Sounds like a cool idea... I'll start looking for such a crank, a "southpaw" freewheel and a "southpaw" 135mm, 32 holed BMX hub (do they exist? 36 hole?) right away...

That SS would propably make some people wonder.

Stein

From the land Down Under
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazed
    But it would have worked fine with a tandem captain's crankset, right?

Sounds like a cool idea... I'll start looking for such a crank, a "southpaw" freewheel and a "southpaw" 135mm, 32 holed BMX hub (do they exist? 36 hole?) right away...

That SS would propably make some people wonder.

Stein
    The tandem crankset will work & is a neat idea. I used a DK Dual Drive hub (36 hole) from DansComp, http://www.danscomp.com/ however I could only get it with a 14mm axel. Solved that problem with custom dropouts.
    I've seen a BMX crankset that does both left or right drive, cheaper & more common than tandem cranks in 180mm.

Members who have read this thread: 0