any one ride just ss?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

any one ride just ss?

just wondering if i want to upgrade my ss or build a new geared carbon mtn bike.
    any one have just a singlespeed or stable of ss?
    Ride & Smile

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    For off-road only SS, a Monocog for winter beater and a One 9 for summer racer.

mtbr member
    I had a SS mountain bike and a fixie commuter... sold the fixie so my SS is now my only bike.

I'm also building a SS pugsley.

I will be building up a geared bike to race on next season though.

mtbr member
    Yup just ride a SS and haven't ridden geared for about 4 years now. Gears just feel wrong to me now, tried going back to a 1x9 setup a couple of years back and didn't really gel with it.

Prior to that I was riding a bunch of FS bikes but SS put heed to that and now I ride fully rigid too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I only have 2 bikes... and both are SS. My MTB is a 07 Monocog Flight, and my road bike is a Sun Uno...

The need for singlespeed
    *raises hand*

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Only ss here.

A Gentleman and a MTBR'
    Mar 2007
    Bikes come to me in various configurations, they always end up SS...

banned
    I have only one, gear that is.

Life is Go0d!
    My wife and I have only ss... 2 Monocawg Flights Rigid.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    just one old beat up gt singlespeed here ...

thinking of going 29er will be SS or maybe 1x9

I have 2 geared bikes that i never ride ....
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Have a Santa Cruz Super Light I was racing x-c with until I picked up a Gary Fisher Rig 10 months ago ... been on my SC 3x's since. Now, My SS is the only mtb I ride and race. There's just something sweet about being on the SS!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    only do SS mtb. I keep the gears for pavement. is unicycling count as SS? add that in there

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeti AS-R frame sitting unloved in spare room. Now my only ride is my 26in Inbred SS.

mtbr member
    only one bike here, and its SS

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Uno and single for two years now. I don't think I could do gears. After I built and started riding my Misfit I sold my geared bike.
    OB1 Kielbasa

One is good!

mtbr member
    Fixie for commuting and SS for the mountain here as well.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Just parted out my Jamis Exile 26er SS, and I am building Karate Monkey 29er. No gea rs for me.

Ken
    Ye Olde Phartt
    Currently...yes.

One bike, one speed, one brake.

mtbr member
    I have a Trek 930 that was my first MTB that is still a multi.I guess the only reason I still have it is because I am a bit of a pack rat and I cannot bring myself to get rid of it.
    No compromise.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ride exclusive SS/Fixed
    Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Gary Fisher Tassajara converted to SS
    Lotus Challanger fixed gear road
    Raleigh Tour bike fixed gear road
    Lemond Fillmore fixed road
    I'll ride geared when I'm old.

bike rider
    This is an old pic now so I need new ones but only my DH rig is geared and since I'm old and not a competitive DHer anymore I could take off the cassette and just use one ring. I also made my first bike (a 1992 Raleigh Chill) into a SS, I difinitely need new pics. I'm also one frame and fork away from having a Niner Air 9 Carbon SS. I'll post build pics of that one when the frame comes in.

My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    Have only ridden singlespeed bikes for at least 5 years. Since 1995 or so I've only rarely ridden a gearie. I sometimes have put one together but after several rides I found I wasn't riding it anymore so I'd take it apart. I enjoy riding SS much more, it's as simple as that.
    bruce b.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Like many who've posted so far, I ride exclusively SS; SS on the trails, fixed on the road.

However, my knees and hips no longer appreciate my lifestyle, so my future might see some (gear-)change (and rear suspension ).

Sweep the leg!
    I have a GF Ferrous and a Flyte Celcius 29. The Ferrous remains a single speed all the time. The Flyte gets monkeyed with. SS most months, SS with drop bars for cyclocross season and 1x9 for vacations on trails I don't know. It's easy to change the set-up on the Flyte. The bars, brakes and gears come off in less than 5 minutes with 2 faceplate bolts, deraileur bolt and zip ties for the hydro housing. I remove the master link from the 9 speed chain and swap chains to a PC-1. then I swap the cassette for a Surly cog, set the EBB tension and install the SS bars and remount the hydro calipers. The drop bars have Avid BB7's and the Space Bars have XT hydros. If I rush I can do the swap in 15 minutes. Most times I drink a beer and take my time.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

old part timer
    I just have the SS for the mtn bike. I have a track bike and a couple of geared road bikes though. But for the dirt, SS is my choice and my passion.

Kiss my Grits!

Two bikes no gears

Both my bikes are single speed. A Trek 69'er is my main ride, but I also recently took the gears off my GF Cake to make that a single speed as well.

I live in Folsom, CA and the trails around here are not very long or steep, so one gear is plenty.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    aye.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    both my bikes i ride on a regular basis are single speeds, one is a GT peace 9r the other an SE stout for commuting. I am building a new Single Speed, Jabberwocky. and i have a geared K2 hidden at my moms that hasn't seen a trail in 2 years...
    stumpjumper 29 evo
    Jabberwocky
    Gt peace 9'r
    SE Lager

V-Shaped Rut
    I have a 29er and 26er. No other bikes and no real reason to have any.

I suppose if I decided to try my hand at downhill I'd get a geared FS, but I'm just fine for now.

mtbr member

Solo Ss Here!!!!

I converted to SS 3 years ago, and I'm not looking back. I have a Raleigh XXIX for the mountains, and a Bianchi San Jose for the road. I love the simplicity and freedom of one gear. It's a matter of personal preference.

Apr 2007
    Sold my last geared bike a couple of months ago (Trek 5.5, full CF, Dura-Ace). Not only riding a Surly Steamroller (fixed), Redline Monocog 29er and building up a Monocog Flight 29er.

mtbr member
    i have ridden bmx (freestyle) for 15 years and just got a mtb a year ago. since i am so used to a chromoly, rigid, single-speed bike, i bought a SS mtb. i have no use for a geared, bouncy bike.

mtbr member
    My bike SS, Gf bike SS, daughters bike SS, son has a SS and a geared MTB on but will be turned in to an SS by spring time

mtbr member
    One full custom S&M BMX bike
    One full custom Fuji fixed gear
    One Gary Fisher Rig SS signed by the Fish himself

So far.....
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Purchased a SS in April. Couldn't ever seem to get off of it.

Two days ago I rode my geared bike b/c of the weather. Hated it.

I had kept the geared bike around as a "just in case." No just in case needed.

Geared bike about to be someone else' geared bike.

mtbr member
    There are a huge number of workers who commute regularly to their factory jobs via SS. I don't think they call is a lifestyle though. No tattoos regarding it- no threads about what cranks are best. It's called China.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member

Right here

one speed is all i need

don't try this at home
    for now my only mtb is ss. road/cx are a mix of geared and singlespeeds. been doing the ss-mtb thing since about 1989, so i think i'm ready for a geared mtb. should be ready in the spring. looking forward to something a little "different". it'll be my first double squish ever too.
    will you rep me?

mtbr member
    surly 1x1 off-road
    beater commuter fixie (i keep up well enough with roadies too.)
    that's it.

You know my steez...

is it that serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Van-Go

Two days ago I rode my geared bike b/c of the weather. Hated it.
    I keep reading posts of how people "hate" their geared bikes after riding SS for a while.

I have a beautiful Ibis Mojo that I cant imagine hating, but I'm going to build a SS anyway to see what all the hype is about.

Why did you hate your geared bike the last time you rode it?

I currently have only two bikes, both geared; a CF road bike, and the Mojo. Obviously they are completely different animals, and I love them both for different reasons. I cant see any bike coming along to make me "hate" either of the bikes I have now.

Cant you like your geared bike and your SS?

Am I going to "hate" my beloved Mojo after I build a singlespeed????
    I'm unique, just like everyone else....

mtbr member
    Had a road bike that started out as a 12spd, turned into a single speed, than a 6spd, now its a fixed gear on a borrowed rear wheel.

Had a SS mountain bike that evolved into a more hardcore SS machine, parts moved onto a new frame, and now the old frame is being built up as a 1x9.

I dont get the exclusivity of riding a SS, its fun as hell on the trails on on any sort of paved trail or road its boring with such a low top speed. My dream stable will have a geared MTB, an SS mtb, a geared road bike, and a SS/fixed road bike. The geared bikes for when I need to recuperate my bad knees, and the SSs for when I want a purer riding experience/dont want to think about shifting.

Saying that you'll only ride SS makes you just as bad as the PBR swilling, tight jean wearing hipsters around my town that say they'll only ever ride fixed gears with no brakes, and anything else just sucks. Yeah, the same ones that wouldnt have touched a bike 3 years ago but have now sold their cars in the name of the SS image.

Daryl
    May 2007
    29er SS, 26 inch SS, Cross SS ridden mostly on the road, custom frame geared road bike gets ridden maybe 5 times a year, Litespeed Unicoi 26" mtb - given to my stepson who rides infrequently.

General industry guy
    Sep 2009
    Exclusively SS29er off road; on my commuter/tourer I run an Alfine 8-speed internal hub. Hard to climb mountains carrying 80 lbs of gear (or groceries) with just one gear.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    SS HT only

mtbr member
    SS 29er the last 4 years.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    2 bikes 1 gear...each!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnV
    I keep reading posts of how people "hate" their geared bikes after riding SS for a while.

I have a beautiful Ibis Mojo that I cant imagine hating, but I'm going to build a SS anyway to see what all the hype is about.

I currently have only two bikes, both geared; a CF road bike, and the Mojo. Obviously they are completely different animals, and I love them both for different reasons. I cant see any bike coming along to make me "hate" either of the bikes I have now.

Suppose you can and have read of a lot of people who go back and forth. I ride with a guy who uses his SS only to train for races and closer to the race uses his geared bike and then races with his geared bike. He loves both.

I just hated the noise, the shifting, and the handling. Truth be known - my SS is a 29er and my geared is a 26 and I've learned to love 29" wheels. So, not a fair comparison and my geared bike is not as nice as yours. For me, I didn't enjoy it and I'm now contemplating letting the geared go - to either pay for another SS or for upgrades on my current SS (can always upgrade)......

For me, when I'm standing in my garage loading up the car to drive to the TH, I have to make a decision of SS or geared and since April I've grabbed the SS. Back of my mind thinking, "I'll take you (geared) next time." Next time comes and I don't. It's almost as if somewhere in me I'm thinking, - this could be the last time I ride - better just have fun.

mtbr member

i am sure you won't hate your mojo or cf. i love bikes no matter how they come. in general i choose simple things. i choose simple furniture, simple clothing, i choose to commute by bike instead of car. that is why i like singlespeeds. i can't afford to spend the money that is required to put into a geared rig. i can get a lot more in a singlespeed for a thousand dollars than i could in a geared bike. the first nice bike i ever had was a singlespeed. i love singlespeeds for the same reason that a lot of people do. i can wax philosophically with the best of them about the silence and simplicity of ssing, but the point is that it works for me. i recommend biking for everyone for different reasons. some people i recommend ssing to and some i don't. everyone is different. if you build or buy a singlespeed you'll probably love it for a different reason you love your geared rigs. the point is that you are riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob
    Saying that you'll only ride SS makes you just as bad as the PBR swilling, tight jean wearing hipsters around my town that say they'll only ever ride fixed gears with no brakes, and anything else just sucks. Yeah, the same ones that wouldnt have touched a bike 3 years ago but have now sold their cars in the name of the SS image.
    don't let tight jean wearing hipsters ruin the name of fixie. while they are hanging out in the park doing barspins and trackstands, I RIDE, so i blow them out of the water the one time a month they bike any sorta distance. plus the money i save from not buying tight jeans i spend on good beer like fat tire.

You know my steez...

jumping on the bandwagon

Quote Originally Posted by jwcart10
    if you build or buy a singlespeed you'll probably love it for a different reason
    Not "if"... I'm in the process right now

I have everything to finish except the fork, seatpost and pedals. Two of the three are in the mail...

Thanks for the thoughts jwcart10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails any one ride just ss?-moto-frame.jpg  

any one ride just ss?-cog.jpg  

any one ride just ss?-stylo.jpg  

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    Three bikes. 2 one speeds, and a crosser I have ridden literally twice in two years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

No clicking noises here!

Spec Singlecross
    Spec Stump 29 SS, Black and Tan
    Spec London Langster
    Spec '03 S-Works Enduro, converted to SS (stolen last year) awesome ride!
    Spec '96 S-Works M2 converted to SS (Gave it to the Ponytail Man last year)

Race them all. I'm enjoying SS road racing, even though I'm the only one in the pack.

(And please don't start another "Singlespeed road racing is stupid" thread; I do it for fun)

C Cow
    Moo!

Ovaries on the Outside
    I'm only mostly there on the fat tire idea, but you like beer and that is enough for me. I started riding SS because I couldn't afford great gear for shifting and it ended up being a detriment to my rides. I realized I had been touring and commuting fixed for a bit and was loving it, so I stripped the bike and haven't had a geared bike for trails since. I road a geared 29er in AZ over Thanksgiving and it was rough; the big wheels were hard for me to keep on a good line, suspension messed with my approaches and I never thought of shifting until it was way too late. I think SS stands for "Simply Stupid." I'm too dumb to have gears.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcart10
    plus the money i save from not buying tight jeans i spend on good beer like fat tire.

mtbr member
    Me too!

Vassago Jabberwocky currently 32x17.

Diamondback Outlook converted to SS 32x20 magic gear for riding to the store and park with my boys. Have raced it once when I was in between bikes.

Wheeler Road Bike converted to 44x16 with tensioner. Commuter and recovery rides.

Wife has an old GT road bike converted to SS with an old XTR derailleur.

and my boys proudly riding their 12" and 16" SS kids bikes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    1 geared, 1 SS here. I've only been ridding the SS for half a year now. I just don't want to touch the geared bike. I don't think it's inferior in anyway. It's just not for me at the moment.

mtbr member
    4 bikes all SS:

09 Monocog Flight 29er
    08 POS road/trainer
    06 Cannondale 1fg
    95 Trek 930

Only need One
    All SS here.........

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I have 3 working bikes and 1 in need of love and inspiration. The 3 include a SS 29er, fixed gear all terrain/commuter, and a geared road bike. The 29er will also be fixed within the next two weeks or so. I'd like to ride SS on the road but I could see it being too limiting. None the less, I still think about doing it to my Serotta. I also have an early 90's rockhopper that has been a 3x7, 1x7 and SS. The ghetto SS conversion didn't work out very well but was really fun while it lasted. I've considered selling it but might keep it around and do a proper SS conversion so I could have 1 fixed and one SS MTB.

SS takes over the mind.

mtbr member
    Offroad yes. Just my KM, full rigid, 32x19, works great. On road I keep looking at singlespeeds, haven't acted yet though.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Schipperkes are cool.
    i find it is really hard to ride @ a single speed. I ride a single ratio at different speeds though.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.
    I ride so slow, your Garmin will shut off.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    i find it is really hard to ride @ a single speed. I ride a single ratio at different speeds though.
    ha.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Now I need to figure out do I revamp my current SS or build a new one.
    Ride & Smile

bicycle rider
    I only ride SS mountain bike in the winter / spring (wet months) here in NorCal. In the summer I'll bring the geared bike to Downieville, the Sierras, mostly because it has the right suspension. That may change when I get a Lenz Milk Money. I do some racing on a geared bike too. I ride 6-7 days a week, and most of it is commuting on a (geared) road bike. There's a minimum of 1200' climbing on my way home from work. Mtn biking is 1-3 days a week.

Morgan

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just a monocog for off road use. I have Kona Jake the snake for cx and gravel riding.

I know a guy who had 4 SS bikes. he showed up at a race one day on a bike with gears. I warned him that it was a bad idea and he laughed. laughed I tell you. midway through the race he flatted. split the sidewall open beyond repair. the moral of this story is don't mess with the single speed Gods.

Jason
    Everything in my stable is slowly making its way to SS. Also, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a full rigid SS 29er some time in the next few days. I'm still comparison shopping for that one.
    Jason

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ride whatever makes you the happiest or you have the most fun on. SS only here (geared roadie though).
    __ o
    _< \_
    (_)>(_) .

nothing to see here
    Social rides, training rides, shop rides, and races all on the one bike (my only working bike ) Kona Unit 29er SS full rigid.

This is what I'm in for on Saturday. I think it's something like 3000m climbing over 100km.

Wish me luck.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

You know my steez...
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    Social rides, training rides, shop rides, and races all on the one bike (my only working bike ) Kona Unit 29er SS full rigid.

This is what I'm in for on Saturday. I think it's something like 3000m climbing over 100km.

Wish me luck.
    Wow! Good luck with that!

Fixed and single.
    Sissy/fixed and rigid for the last decade.
    "Those are some good humans."

nothing to see here
    Wow! Good luck with that!
    Thanks
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    No gears, No shocks, No Worries..... riding is not complicated.
    Ride, Race or just polish it.... Do it till you smile!

mtbr member
    Me. Still young but Im set on a SS. Though im considering attaching a 12T cog at the back for road trips

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I have a geared Jamis that i don't ride as much since I got my IRO.
    My dad rides a Scott converted to single speed because he kept breaking it.
    any one ride just ss?-cimg3444.jpg
    any one ride just ss?-cimg3464.jpg
    The seat and seatpost on the scott is older than me

mtbr member
    I have to say that every time I got on my Rush, I would hate the gears jumping and just the whole non-involvement of the ride. Then after a couple good crashes from hopping back and forth from my Monocog Flight 29 and the Rush, I built a steel HT with 1x9 drivetrain.

I used a shortcage deraileur and grip shift. It's actually quite a good balance. No ghost shifting or slop in the drivetrain. No chain slap.

I built the new bike to help me work on seated climbs. I was getting very strong at out of the saddle mashing up hills. However, I plan to do some more road riding this season and a mountain climbing event so a good balance of seated and standing climbing is going to be needed.

I also find my new bike is a more social bike. I don't "dust" everyone and have to wait for them. I can gear down and casually cruise and enjoy playing cat and mouse on the trials or even having a conversation.
    Just get out and ride!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    broke my geared bike's frame back in 06, and never replaced it, so i've been SS only ever since. I did build up a geared bike recently with a crappy old K2 frame and my old geared bike parts, but it's just for commuting to the post office when i'm really late (faster than driving), and a loaner bike for friends wanting to try mountainbiking. I'd have it as an SS as well if it wasnt a loaner bike as well.

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    For about 9 months I did, and I'm proud to have done so. I've found that i LOVE combining SS rigid with long travel gears. Frankly, I just live/love bicycles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    single, 29inches and rigid...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the5ifty
    single, 29inches and rigid...
    be careful where you say that, in the wrong part of san francisco you might be abducted.
    Ride & Smile

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Been riding SS on the trails since 2004. Fixed road bike since 2005. Still have a Geared road bike for the group rides with the local club. Just can't keep up with them on the fixed, especially down hill.

Members who have read this thread: 0