Any nice steel 29er SS with EBB or Slider ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Any nice steel 29er SS with EBB or Slider ?

Im shopping for a 29er rigid SS after my bikes direct cheapie fell apart after 2 rides. (another story...)
    One thing I learned from that experience is that I HATE track ends, so Im looking for either sliding dropouts or EBB. From all the reading Ive done they both have strengths and weaknesses so Ill go as far as to say I have no preference (unless a particular model has a bad reputation)

Haro Mary SS is pretty high on my list, and Kona Unit is up there too, but I wouldnt mind paying a little more for a nicer specced bike with better steel such as reynolds or true temper, and Id still like to keep it under $1500 for a built bike. Id really rather not build the bike up from a frame.

Salsa El Mariachi would have been great, but the 2010s have moved to cromo and the 08/09s are hard to come by recently.

diSSent FE is super nice, but out of my budget. Same with niner sir9

Im _really_ close to just buying a Mary SS (on sale locally for 600) and throwing some upgrades on it, but I wanted to make sure that Im not missing any other good bikes.

thanks
    Last edited by Evan55; 05-03-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am in the same boat. I just put money down on the Unit. It's on backorder and won't be in until end of May. I looked hard at the Mary and a couple of other bikes. The Unit actually has better specs and costs less. I'll let you know how the Unit rides once I get it.

Apr 2007
    Gunnar Ruffian. Redline Monocog Flight (Sanko tubing).

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0