Any ISIS worth it??- Mtbr.com
    Category Winner

Any ISIS worth it??

I am tired. I have been looking for info too long. Are there any ISIS BB's that don't suck? People really haven't been posting as much in the reviews as they used to.
    I am thinking about a crank for the future, but here's my issues:
    Square taper: Reliable, but flexy
    ISIS: Bearings go to shitake
    Octalink: I get one year, tops. Limited crank options.
    External: Bearing life so-so, not as bad as ISIS, not too thrilled with the bearing preload on most models, looks clunky (yeah, aesthetics)

So why ISIS? I figure that maybe there is one decent ISIS BB in the world, maybe.

I think it would be easier to time travel to the future and see what they are running in 2021AD.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Space for rent...
    I came to the same conclusion when I was doing my homework for my new SS. I read all the reviews and talked to a bunch of people, and came to the same conclusion...ISIS sucks. I ended up getting a killer deal on a bunch of Truvativ take-offs, with the idea of replacing them every year. Guess what? The little booger is still going strong after ~2,500+ km's this year.
    It's only pain......

i don't give a shift
    My RF Signature Ti has been holding up for half a decade now. I'd suggest SKF or Crank Brothers, although I haven't tried them myself. With a 5 year warranty for the Crank Brothers BB they better be sure the bearings will last. I also read good reviews from roadies about Token's ceramic ISIS - maybe worth a try.

Retro Grouch

How about a 5 year guarantee?

I'm still waiting for delivery but for $80 Crank Bros has an ISIS BB with the above guarantee. So far I'm using a Bontrager/Truvativ and it has been flawless for 2 weeks.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Cromo+Bb.aspx

1G1G, Brad

The Dog.
    I crushed my Truvativ Gigapipe to sand after one super wet race. My Race Face Platinum Pro has been going strong through major abuse for over a year.

If I were you, I'd look for an SKF. If they can make bearings for cars that last for hundreds of thousands of miles, I think they know how to make a pretty good sealing system and some darn strong bearings. All the reviews of the SKF bb's seem to verify these facts.

At least I was impressed when SKF had a picture of them taking a pressure washer to a BB.

Combat Wombat
    I plan to try an SKF when my FSA Platinum Pro dies. Hopefully by then, the skinny will be out on if they really do live up to their claims. Go to JensonUSA.com and compare the price of SKF's ISIS BB with a chromoly axle to some of the less than steller BBs on the market, they seem like a great deal.

Brian

mtbr member
    i had a truvative gigapipe that lasted for a couple of thousand miles on my geared bike. i replaced it with another when the time came. now i primarily ss on a set of 952's so the giga will probably last a giga years.

mtbr member
    There are some Token scandium ones on ebay.. look good, light weight, but how will they last??

I got some 180mm middleburns from CRC and an ISIS FSA Platinum Megaquad. Seems OK for the first 2 weeks, time will tell

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    There are some Token scandium ones on ebay.. look good, light weight, but how will they last??
    You won't have to worry about the bearings

Scandium is a decent frame and rim material, but it ain't a spindle material.

mtbr member
    WTF?? How long did u have that? Do you jump etc?? I ride XC and keep to the ground as much as possible!

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    WTF?? How long did u have that? Do you jump etc?? I ride XC and keep to the ground as much as possible!
    It's not mine. I doubt it saw any jumps as it was used on a road bike.

Keep on Rockin...

Skf...

I've been beating my SKF ISIS all season and so far so good.

Mike

Category Winner
    Thanks for all the info. I am really thinking about the Middleburn crank for my next build, but I got to press down on a square taper this weekend. It seemed like a whole lotta flex was coming from down there.
    I think I might wait till the Crank Bros get theirs out. That 5 year warranty smacks of confidence.
    All I want is a $50 per year BB.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

mtbr member
    I think they might have worked out some of the issues w/ ISIS, however when I first started riding I went through 3 BB in a years time. I'm sure the extreme muddy conditions didn't help but still that's a lot. I think the raceface stuff is probably a little better than the truvativ but not many people are running them anymore.

what's wrong with the external style bearings besides looks? (gosh if you're basing this on looks I don't know what to say really). The xtype hold up so much better. I have yet to replace them after two years of riding... a lot lighter too.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by plume

what's wrong with the external style bearings besides looks? (gosh if you're basing this on looks I don't know what to say really). The xtype hold up so much better. I have yet to replace them after two years of riding... a lot lighter too.
    Not just looks. I've gone through X-BB's a little too fast, and I had problems with the crank interface which resulted in $200 down the toilet. Yes, they were properly set-up and torqued. I have a RF Deus right now and the BB feels crunchy after three months. X-Types also have more drag than any other system.
    They were a lot lighter, though I still feel burned.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

*Hotter than Hell*
    Aug 2005

New question here. SKF warranty?

http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...191009&lang=en
    In combination with a long life lubricant, these seals enable the bottom bracket units to work perfectly for a minimum of 10 years under normal conditions.
    Any one know the actual warranty of the SKF BB?
    PROFESSIONAL THREAD KILLER!

Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    Maybe I will just start hanging out in the "Recycle Bin" forum.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

american classic isis bb rock...

super light weight, nice and stiff and they have replacable bearings. the replacable bearings are the sh!t. they take like 10 minutes to replace and it feels like a new bb. i hate having to through the entire bb away because the bearings go bad, seems like such a waste. now all i through away are the old bearings. the bearings last a couple months usually. i live in wet and wild wv and have put about 5000 on my bb this summer and replaced the bearings 3 times.

Had an FSA P-Pro ISIS that was problem free for around a year. Just got rid of it. I don't notice flex on either Shimano or Phil squares, but I'm not riding with the same power as TD, I imagine.

I've had nothing but problems with external bearings, for me reliability and low maintenance is more important.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ive got a skf. working great so far

Rusting Steel
    Truvative GXP is the only BB that's been reliable for me. I seized 2 Race Face Isis bb's both with less than 50 miles on them. FSA Platinum Pro ISIS was ok, but felt like it had sand in the bearings.

My GXP has lasted all year through mud, rain, and even a flood in Moab. I find it super stiff on my SS (1994 Ocoee Ti) and pretty much error free. Replacement cups cost 30 bucks, which isn't bad. I've read that they have 8 seals, so maybe that's why I've not had issues with contaminants. I put 200 miles or so a week on it training, commuting, and riding. It's held up well, whereas I couldn't find an isis BB that would last for me.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My only experience with ISIS is on the road, and I've got a couple of years on an FSA. Some wet riding, and commuting in there too.

Members who have read this thread: 0