Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?- Mtbr.com
    Snail. A fast one.

New question here. Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?

Hi guys!
    I'm going to build a 26 ss hardtail for this summer, got everything except frame and brakes in my parts bin. But I have no idea what frame to choose. The requirements are:

- 590-600 ETT
    - 68deg or less head angle with 120mm fork
    - 71-73deg seat angle
    - 17-19" seat tube
    - 420mm (16.5") chainstays or less
    - singlespeedable without special chain tensioners

The only frame I can think of is Santa Cruz Chameleon 2013 and older. (Can't find any appropriate deals on it where I live + don't really like the sizing)
    Maybe there can be better ideas on it?
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Production Privee Shan with the single speed dropouts?

Snail. A fast one.
    Yeah, Shan is a hot toy! I wonder if you've had personal experience of riding one? If yes, could you tell a few words about how it rolls?
    I actually didn't realize the fact it has different dropouts options. By the way, as I've just learnt from the manufacturer's site, they no longer produce frames for 26", but you can buy converting dropout kit to adapt your 27,5" frame for 26 inches.
    The thing is it is realy rare and I won't probably find a good deal on used one. Buying a new one means buying new "better" parts for it, including bigger wheels and at least 140mm fork. My 120mm will somehow spoil Shan's geometry.
    Thanks for the idea anyway!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    On-one has a few slack hardtail frame options. Getting harder to find 26er frames new nowadays.

26er

Good way to use your old parts. I built a Voodoo Bokor 26" SS with leftover parts and love it.

mtbr member
    No, I've not ridden the Shan - I just considered it when I was looking for a frame to build up a long travel geared hardtail. I ended up buying a used Genesis Alpitude frame (well, actually I bought two but that's another story) and built that up with the same sort of components I'd have used on any slack hardtail.

Re. Slugsmashers link - the only SS- able frame there is the Inbred though - which isn't especially slack (if that's what you're looking for?).
    It's a great pity that Dialled Bikes don't make an EBB version of the Alpine.Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-myalpine_zps84fcb697.jpg

Well, they made one or two prototype versions, but that's all. You could always use a ISCG mounted bottom roller as a tensioner - I did consider that on the Alpitude

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would have suggested the Surly 1x1, but it doesn't appear to match your very specific geometry. Good luck with your project.

mtbr member
    Get an On One 456 Evo2 and put a BB-mounted chain tensioner on the ISCG tabs. I know you wanted to ride without a special tensioner, but the BB-mounted tensioner would be very functional and keeps the CS length at the same point at all times. the CS is only 5mm longer than what you were going for and it might change with a shorter fork on it. the HA is listed at 65.7 degrees but that is measured with a 150mm fork. I am sure it would be a lot steeper for XC use with a shorter fork.

mtbr member
    One that I overlooked - Evil Sovereign.

Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-704859d1340113021-evil-sovereign-stoke-evil-1.jpg

Not that slack a head angle (68 degrees with 150mm fork) - you could run a Works Components headset though if you wanted to knock another degree off that.

Snail. A fast one.
    Dialled Alpine is a superb-looking frame. I would probably buy one no matter for geared or ss build. But that Evil is far less tasty to me. And not slack, sorry...
    Andy R - could you post photos of your Alpitude? (or both)

The reason I don't want to buy a frame with vertical dropouts (or without ebb) is that I already have geared NS Eccentric which has verticall dropouts and ISCG. I can easily convert it to ss, and the aim of that next build is to get a dedicated ss with clean look and without added drag in transmission. But if I will find nothing close to what I seek, 456 is a good candidate. Plus it is not difficult to find one used.

To say honestly 1x1 and Inbred frames were the first two options that came to my mind - they are great singlespeeds, but they are more of XC style. I already have inbred 29er ss and Singular Gryphon ss which fully cover my demands on XC riding.

I stopped riding 26" wheels some time ago, but I now and then long for something I have started with - a 26" hardtail. And after years passed I want it to be closer to my Eccentric in terms of handling and have some advantages of my other ss bikes. Plus I have two 26" wheels and retro-style 26/27.5 fork laying around. So why not to try?

Thanks everyone for suggestions!
    P.S. More ideas greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Can you use a dual suspension frame on a ss drive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlegear6950 View Post
    Can you use a dual suspension frame on a ss drive
    Yes, if it's a single pivot concentric with the BB spindle, or you use a tensioner that can cope with the chain growth if it's any other type of rear suspension (single pivot, four bar, whatever).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brisk Snail View Post
    Dialled Alpine is a superb-looking frame. I would probably buy one no matter for geared or ss build.
    Andy R - could you post photos of your Alpitude? (or both)
    Well, apologies for posting this on a SS forum, but I was asked so....

This is a 2009 Alpitude frame (Reynolds 853) with 2006 marzocchi Z1 150mm forks. It also has a Works Components -1 degree headset fitted.Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-alpitude-2.jpg

Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-alpitude-platsa-1.jpg

Anyway - this one I use in Greece - the other one, which I'll look for a photo of later, I have here on the Isle of Man.

The one in the photos was built last year for a pretty specific purpose - to be a good machine for the sort of riding that I do in Greece - lots of steep, very technical downhills that are always rocky and often with tight switchbacks.
    Most of these are only rideable downwards and the climbing has to be mostly done on fireroads and jeep tracks so anything that will winch me back up fits the bill.

So a single speed version would have been just as good a lot of the time - you'll notice it's set up 1x10 anyway, which some people think is madness in the mountains, but it works for me.

I always build a bike around a set of forks and I like Marzocchis - the other Alpitude has 170mm 2013 Marzocchi 55's with an Avalanche damper conversion.
    It's nothing short of superb for what I use it for.

Snail. A fast one.
    Wow,this Alpitude looks awesome! Very stylish black and white frame.
    A bit long chainstays for technical descends to my taste, but for higher speed downhills they should be just right. What can you say due to you descending experience on it?

Singlespeed FS is more than a viable idea - I had Kona FS converted to ss. It had 130mm of travel and that was a maximum my chain tensioner could cope with. No photos, unfortunatelly, I've sold the frame this summer.

Continuing the main thread, I've also been considering NS Surge 2014 frame, there are plenty of good deals on it around. It's got sliding dropouts, but in case of using 120mm fork, the seattube will be extrimely steep, which is bad for effective pedalling. Or if you adjust your position for better pedalling, which means lowering the handle bar a big deal, you will be literally seating on your front wheel, which is awful in terms of downhill handling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Ill be riding dirt and street to and from work. 28x7 is my gearing. Should i upgrade to a 11 speed out back? Ill post pics tomorrow.

Snail. A fast one.
    Quote Originally Posted by singlegear6950 View Post
    Ill be riding dirt and street to and from work. 28x7 is my gearing. Should i upgrade to a 11 speed out back? Ill post pics tomorrow.
    Sorry, it doesn't clear... You have 7 gears in the back and one 28 teeth chainring in front? Or it's just 28t chainring and 7t driver (I've never heard of such)? It's a non-ridable combination.
    Or you wanted to say you use 28x17 singlespeed gearing?

Sorry, man, you are off the topic. Please, start another thread and we'll participate there.

mtbr member
    Just for you, Brisk Snail - here's the other Alpitude. This is a 2011 frame with 2013 Marzocchi RC3 Ti Evo2 170mm forks. Photo is pre the Avalanche damper conversion but they don't look different externally anyway, except the compression adjuster if you look closely.

Regarding your comment on chainstay length - it's 425mm or 16.7", which is 5mm more than than the Privee Shan. The frame is Reynolds 853 DZB, which is their ultimate mtb tubeset.
    The frame is supposedly designed to run 160mm maximum but I run the 'zokes with no air preload, so they sit into their travel that bit further anyway. They're taper steerer and so I had to find a frame with a 44mm headtube.

Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-alpitude-2-3.jpg

So, to run one of these single speed, I'd be either use an ISCG tensioner (like an E13 or something) or find a Forward Components EBB converter.

Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-alpitude-2-1.jpg

There- that's all the geared stuff over with!

mtbr member
    Run aggressive wide rims and tires on a Kona Explosif 27.5 frame

mtbr member
    Or if it would fit you I have a Regular sized Evil DOC that you could consider. 23.15" Effective Top tube. It has room for 26" and Single speed and would be fine with the fork length you want to run.

Snail. A fast one.
    Thanks very much for your photos, Andy R! You bikes look awesome - they are actually among the best looking bikes that I've seen. I would probably build these bikes a bit differently, but frames are absolutely fantastic!
    Forward Components EBB converter? After googling it I realized that it's exactly what I need. I can buy any frame I like and use THIS. If I will manage to find one. Very nice.

Kona Explosif has relatively short chainstays and is slack enough for my needs. So it is a very nice option. I think I should consider it thoroughly. The only downside in case of using it with 26" wheels is very low BB. Basically I love low BBs, but I would like this bike to be more bunnyhop-able.

Thanks everyone for advices! I believe I'm now much more aware of what and where I should look for.

mtbr member
    Just in case you guys think that I've gone soft, what with gears and lush Marzocchis, this is what I actually ride for the majority of my trail riding -

Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-hummingbird-agneash.jpg

Probably my all-time favourite bike and if I could only have one bike then this would be it.
    When I'm away in Greece for months at a time I actually find myself pining for it.......

local trails rider
    2soulscycles (Germany) has been producing the 41.5EVO , designed to work with 650b and 26". It is not cheap, and I think only the larger size is in stock right now.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Hairshirt Rider
    On One carbon 456 Evo ticks most of those boxes

Snail. A fast one.
    Hello again!
    Andy R, your Singular is great. Looks like it's a 69er. Is it? I love Singular bikes, I have been in love even more after I had bought myself a Gryphon. You can see it below.
    Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-gryphon.jpg
    (The spec-s are different now)

Googled 2souls - it is just beautiful. Unfortunately, it's ment to be ridden with longer forks and it's very rare second-hand.
    456 carbon is a good option. if I find a good deal on it.

Just bumped into a photo of an old DMR Trailstar frame. Tempting.
    Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-p4pb96773091.jpg
    Photo's not mine

mtbr member
    Yes, it's a Singular Hummingbird, so is designed to run either with rigid forks (same as the Gryphon forks, 445mm a/c, 55mm offset) or with up to 130mm suspension forks and a 26" front wheel.

I have two, this singlespeed one, and one built up with an 8 speed Alfine hub and Maverick SC32 forks. The singlespeed, with the rigid forks, is probably the best handling bike that I've owned - stable and responsive at speed and yet poised and nimble in technical stuff. It's a combination of the head angle and the short trail that seems to do it.

Here's a better photograph, although it was taken a year or so ago and it changes all the time - now it has a Gravity Dropper seatpost, Hope Mini brakes instead of the Magura Martas and a shorter stem.

Any ideas on 26" trail-friendly ss frame ?-tholt-y-will-2.jpg

It looks better on a sunny day, too.