Any good SS trails in Seattle?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

New question here. Any good SS trails in Seattle?

Hello all. I might relocate to Seattle and I was wondering if the trails in the area are suitable for a single speed?

Thanks

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by onegearmorebeer
    Hello all. I might relocate to Seattle and I was wondering if the trails in the area are suitable for a single speed?
    ummm........Yes!

Adjust you gearing appropriately (hillier than Ohio, but not nearly as bad as the ups in SoCal where I was SSing), and invest in some fenders for spring/fall riding, if you don't like mud baths.

Oh and be prepared for both Harmonic Convergance, and the twins of Barbie Camp...
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

In Seattle proper

the only "real" trail I know of is Tiger Mountain, and it closes, but I lived in Olympia so Seattle trails knowledge is limited. A lot of good trails in the area, try doing a search on Capitol Forest, there should be a web site. There is great riding in the mountains, rode and, of course, walked a little of almost it with a 34x18 on my 26" wheeled bike. 34x19 on my 29" when I was back on vacation. Just remeber in the winter most of the epic trails end up under feet of snow and the lower trails are covered in mud, but in the summer, all two weeks of it, the riding is some of the best I have ever done. As for the fenders, my front never came off, even for 24hr races and the CCP, and always had a rear in the car or truck, it can alway rain and if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride. Have fun, but fwiw I won't ever live there again, too much rain. Ed

JRA
    mtbr member
    I haven't met a trail yet in the Seattle area that didn't make a suitable singlespeed trail. I run 34x18 and while I do have to walk some sections, it isn't much. Been riding here for a couple years now ... all on a singlespeed.

Chubutiger
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by scarkinsmel
    the only "real" trail I know of is Tiger Mountain, and it closes, but I lived in Olympia so Seattle trails knowledge is limited. A lot of good trails in the area, try doing a search on Capitol Forest, there should be a web site. There is great riding in the mountains, rode and, of course, walked a little of almost it with a 34x18 on my 26" wheeled bike. 34x19 on my 29" when I was back on vacation. Just remeber in the winter most of the epic trails end up under feet of snow and the lower trails are covered in mud, but in the summer, all two weeks of it, the riding is some of the best I have ever done. As for the fenders, my front never came off, even for 24hr races and the CCP, and always had a rear in the car or truck, it can alway rain and if you don't ride in the rain you don't ride. Have fun, but fwiw I won't ever live there again, too much rain. Ed
    Yeah, I thought of Capital as well. Kinda far from Seattle - 1.5 hrs or so down I-5 - but the trails are pretty open and smooth. Another place to consider is Belfair. Lots of rolling forest trails and no serious climbing.

It's been a few years since I've been to either place so you should check in with the WA board.

Just turned 29er
    When I lived in Seattle I used to go ride at St. Edwards State Park...it's between Seattle and Kirkland and would be good for SS...rolling terrain and no long hills.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Check into the lake sawyer trails in Black Diamond outside Seattle. I rode a good bit of them on my SS last year and they were perfect! Check BDbikes.com for info