Any Florida SS'ers? Need advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Any Florida SS'ers? Need advice

Trying to get some input from some fellow Floridians (or anyone with flatter land experience). I just purchased my 1st single speed from a friend who built it himself (he runs a LSB). The components are very impressive,however he used a gear which is very short, 27 front and 15 rear, I already swapped the rear with a 13 which came with the bike, but I want something a little more "urban" friendly while still being able to enjoy the off road stuff. I'm wearing myself out when I try to keep up with friends on the street. What is a good all around gear, I have Profile Racing cranks and hubs and want to stick with their parts. I've tried searching but its pretty confusing. Thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    How much off road versus how much on road?

On my 29er I am presently running a 32x16 in FL. 99% of that is off road, but for the little bit of concrete riding I do with the bike it seems to feel okay.
    Signature

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about the gearing- you didn't say what size wheels you were running. Either way (26or 29) that would be a monster gear for off road in these parts, but then again we have hills here.!

Try a geared bike and find what gear works best and then figure how many gear inches that is and transfer it to your SS. I would recommend using a larger chainring and rear cog regardless (you can still get the same gear) because it will be more efficient, longer wearing, and you will have fewer dropped chain issues.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm riding a 29'er, about 50/50 on and off road

mtbr lurker
    You'd probably be miserable off road with such a high gear, its hard to make a SS do two different things well. I use a 32 - 18 on my 29er off road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Where I live it's pretty flat. I have a 29er and run 32/18. For the trails here it is great 99% of the time. I have a hard time when my friends are flying on the flats trying to keep up. If I went to a smaller cog in the back I could keep up on the flats but then some of the hills would be a problem. Some of the guys ride SS with a 32/17 or 16 and some go as high as 20. With any bike there are always compromises.

A lot of it is individual to your specific needs. I think even if you spoke to local riders you'd find a wide range of gearing. Add to that the many variables of geometry, fitness level, etc. and it becomes a hard question to answer.

Get some cheap cogs and experiment until you find what works for you.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It looks like a 32 is a good starting spot in the front, I have a 15 rear, maybe I'll start with that and get a rear 18 cog and see how it feels from there. Anybody else, feel free to chime in!!

mtbr member
    Where in FL are you from?

I ran 32x18 for the longest time and it got pretty bad on the flatter offroad trails. For the last year I have been using a 32x17 everywhere (Boyette, Alafia, Santos, etc) and it has been pretty good with the exception of some of the longer flat parts of the trail. Recently I threw a 16t on the back for a ride up at Santos. Felt really good on the trail. Didn't get a chance to try it out in the reds yet. I think it will be a little tough for some of the short steep climbs.
    Signature

Spandex Ninja
    For central and south Florida, somewhere around 32-16 is good for a 29er. For some of the steeper, hillier trails around Ocala, on the ridges, or in the Panhandle, I would recommend 32-18. Give or take a tooth depending on your strength/skills.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I'm in Orlado area, so far I've taken to Chuck Lennon and Soldiers Creek in Longwood (both of which were excellent on this bike), I plan on taking it to Santos some day. Mostly anything else I will take my Stumpjumper geared bike.

mtbr member
    As suggested before experiment with your geared bike on which combos feel best to you. Cheaper than buying a bunch of cogs to figure it out...although you can usually get cheap stamped steel combo packs with a variety of cogs for pretty cheap.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for all the suggestions, I will probably go home and ride my other bike and pay attention to the different gears and go from there, thanks everyone!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0