Any fixie riders using a ThudBuster?- Mtbr.com
    Needed Less ~ Did More

Any fixie riders using a ThudBuster?

I am planning on racing in an 8day endurance race in India next year. Due to the remoteness of the area (Spiti in the Himachal Pradesh region) I want to keep the bike ultra-simple. I will beusing a rigid 29er with a big front tyre but I am thinking of a sus-post for those long down hills where you want to un-clip and let the pedals do the egg-whisk thing while you take a rest.

Having done this in the past I know your a55 takes a battering with all the weight through it. I am thinking that a Thudbuster (ST or LT?) might take the sting out of my ring on the 25km downhill sections (yes, its that hilly!)

So do any fixie riders use a CC Thudbuster post? Does it affect the saddle - pedal relationship enough to notice?

I am also toying with some minimal pegs on the front axle to prop my feet on but thats another thread in its self! Wonder if Phil Wood would make me some to match the hub?

Thanks,

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use an USE Shoxpost. Works fine, when your hammering there is no weight on your butt anyway and when you are cruising around it provides some cush.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Thudbuster is a parallelogram so the saddle crank distance remains the same.

@adelorenzo
    Check out Dicky's blog, he used one for an all-day race fixed.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    Check out Dicky's blog, he used one for an all-day race fixed.

Damn.

I was gonna link you to me, but anthony beat me to me.

I love my Thuddy, and fixed is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more pleasant with it.

skuuuuuuuuh-wish.

No doubt worth the coin if you're thinking multi-day fixed.

Last edited by teamdicky; 12-11-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Thanks for the replies. I have read Dicky's blog but I am several orders of bad-a55 lower than him so though I would ask regular non-Viking riders for input.

Sounds like a Thuddy ST will be in my future along with a dingle setup of 34/20 and 36/18.

All I need now is to find a way to train my sea-level lungs for 14,000ft+ passes!

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Thanks for the replies. I have read Dicky's blog but I am several orders of bad-a55 lower than him so though I would ask regular non-Viking riders for input.

SSP

All the more you should run it. It was actually someone else's idea (Hodge from Addictive Cycles in GA) that clued me in on the secret.

Like anything of the squishy nature it is a crutch, but there are times when you gotta do what you gotta do. So much easier on the "high speed spinning death while still clipped in" descents, and when you're "feet up" you won't wince when you see a small bump coming up at 27MPH.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Done dirt cheap
    Aug 2008
    I have an ST with two rides on it. If you're interested, PM me.

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Like anything of the squishy nature it is a crutch, but there are times when you gotta do what you gotta do...
    Crutches are good, I got 3rd place in the MTB Himachal in 2007 (racing with some guy called John Nobile...who ever he is ) and they only have cash prizes for 1st and 2nd so I need to step up the pace if I want some of the $$$.

Pretty amazing trip though, lots of time to do some sightseeing and a great bunch of people

SSP
    -

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlespeedpunk
    Crutches are good, I got 3rd place in the MTB Himachal in 2007 (racing with some guy called John Nobile...who ever he is ) and they only have cash prizes for 1st and 2nd so I need to step up the pace if I want some of the $$$.

Pretty amazing trip though, lots of time to do some sightseeing and a great bunch of people

SSP

Dunno how you pull that kinda time off.
    I've looked into some of those longer races on the other side of the pond, but if I did just ONE it would be the only thing I did all year. Time is a bigger problem than money for me (all though the gap is closing).
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Dunno how you pull that kinda time off.
    I've looked into some of those longer races on the other side of the pond, but if I did just ONE it would be the only thing I did all year. Time is a bigger problem than money for me (all though the gap is closing).
    24 days statutory holiday each year helps. Money is an issues as managing a bike shop pays peanuts on this side of the pond

This will be the only race I do this year except play pit-b!tch to my wife in her first 24hr race. I guess if you are only doing one, make it a biggie!

Alex
    -

Members who have read this thread: 0