Answer BMX square taper Bottom Bracket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Answer BMX square taper Bottom Bracket

Has anyone used one of these bottom brackets on a SS MTB? All of the places I've seen them for sale say that they are for 68mm shells, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on a 73mm or wider shell as long as the spindle was the right length.

https://www.answerbmx.com/SliderBottomBracket.html

Out spokin'
    Never seen that BB before... looks pretty nifty.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    That's what I thought. The ability to fine tune the chainline without pulling the cranks is inspired.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Are you going to buy it and let us know how it works? I fall in the curious, but just picked up a new un-54, sooooo

mtbr member
    I may buy one. I have an old un72 that may work for my new build, but I may need a longer spindle. If that ends up being the case the Answer BB could be in my future.

I just wanted to know if anyone had used one before committing.

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    I have/no longer use one. The set screws in the system did not have enough clamping force to prevent the adjustable pieces from walking away from the bb cups after a while. This was on my Potts SS that I beat the piss out of. The bb might work very well on a geared bike or for a smaller rider, but it wasn't up to me at 190lb-ish and hammering climbs.

In it's defense, it was light, spun very well indeed, and was easy to adjust. I just had to adjust it about every 2-3 weeks.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benwitt11
    I have/no longer use one. The set screws in the system did not have enough clamping force to prevent the adjustable pieces from walking away from the bb cups after a while. This was on my Potts SS that I beat the piss out of. The bb might work very well on a geared bike or for a smaller rider, but it wasn't up to me at 190lb-ish and hammering climbs.

In it's defense, it was light, spun very well indeed, and was easy to adjust. I just had to adjust it about every 2-3 weeks.
    That's what I was concerned about. I don't know if I want to put down the cash for something that's going to need that much fiddling. I like that my SS is low maintenance, this seems to go a bit agains the grain.

I am lighter than you, and I'm not the most powerful rider, so it may be workable, but it still sounds a little sketchy. You don't still have it in your parts bin do you? I might be interested in trying it out if it was cheap enough.

mtbr member
    I'm interested in seeing if anyone else has used this BB, and what the impressions are about it. From the post by benwitt11 it sounds like I might be o.k. on it. I am a bit lighter, and although I do crank up some steep rocky stuff I push a pretty light gear and spin a lot. I'm almost certain that this BB would solve my chainline problems.

I called Answer to get... answers to a couple of questions, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Does anyone know how wide the flats are on the part of the cups that extend past the shell? This would help me figure out what size spindle to order. Also, is the bearing a standard size that I could pick up at an industrial supply place, or is it a special part?

Members who have read this thread: 0