Another way to tighten the chain- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Another way to tighten the chain

I had no tensioner, no Magic Ratio, but I had an old DH chain guide...
    It works great
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another way to tighten the chain-img_2189-medium-.jpg  

Another way to tighten the chain-img_2181-medium-.jpg  

Another way to tighten the chain-img_2184_web.jpg  

Another way to tighten the chain-img_2196-medium-.jpg  

Another way to tighten the chain-img_2197-medium-.jpg  

Another way to tighten the chain-img_2211-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    awesomeness

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Why would you have that much slack in your chain?

I'm all for inventiveness but I don't think I'd want to run that full time. Why the strap? I hope you're not running it loose enough that the roller guide will swivel between the shell and BB..

If you were going that route however, why not forgo the strap, run a little less slack in the chain, angle the roller a little more downwards and use the adjustable roller to take up the slack then tighten?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post

I'm all for inventiveness but I don't think I'd want to run that full time. Why the strap? I hope you're not running it loose enough that the roller guide will swivel between the shell and BB..

If you were going that route however, why not forgo the strap, run a little less slack in the chain, angle the roller a little more downwards and use the adjustable roller to take up the slack then tighten?
    You are making too much sense to be posting in this thread. Shhhh. He seems to think this is and your going to get a bad rep. lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fryed_1 View Post

He probably chose what gearing he wanted to run and worked around that. It looks like a half-link might help him out though.

Out spokin'
    Looks great to me, tho I might use an industrial strength ziptie instead of the toe strap.
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Well if it isn't mother****ing Sparty! I thought you'd found better things to do. Slumming?

mtbr member
    From appearances, I'm thinking it may create some striking issues while riding over obstacles if it was mounted lower.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Well if it isn't mother****ing Sparty! I thought you'd found better things to do. Slumming?
    Hey Bro, I got a new Kona Honzo & set it up SS... so thot I'd check in wit y'all.

In case you're not familiar with the Honzo, check it out on Kona's site. It rides like a 29" BMX bike. I know that sounds like a paradox (lower case "p") but OMG it's fun! 67 HA + 140mm fork + 16.5" chainstays make for some rawkus good times. Look me up whenever you get to the Pacific NorthWET... let's go ridin'!
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Members who have read this thread: 0