Another tuggnut question.- Mtbr.com
    Combat Wombat

Another tuggnut question.

Building up my SS Fort frame and received my Redline tensioners in the mail today. Very pleased, look nice and you sure can not beat the price for a pair. What I am wondering is.....the brass washers on my Paul hub only go into the tensioners, not all the way into the drop outs. Basically the tensioners are supporting the wheel, not just preventing the wheel from sliding forward. I would think this would be the same situation for all tuggnuts, when using a Paul hub. Anyone have any problems with this?

Brian

mtbr member

its fine

Brian,

I have a Spot frame and run the Surly tuggnut with Paul WORD hubs. I removed the brass washer and just use the bolt from the hub with the tuggnut. I've had zero issues with this setup.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    Building up my SS Fort frame and received my Redline tensioners in the mail today. Very pleased, look nice and you sure can not beat the price for a pair. What I am wondering is.....the brass washers on my Paul hub only go into the tensioners, not all the way into the drop outs. Basically the tensioners are supporting the wheel, not just preventing the wheel from sliding forward. I would think this would be the same situation for all tuggnuts, when using a Paul hub. Anyone have any problems with this?

Brian

Combat Wombat

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by MellowCat
    Brian,

I have a Spot frame and run the Surly tuggnut with Paul WORD hubs. I removed the brass washer and just use the bolt from the hub with the tuggnut. I've had zero issues with this setup.

MC
    Wasn't too worried about it, but thought I would see what others thought.

Brian

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Redline tensioners....

Quote Originally Posted by BrianU

Brian
    My local Redline dealer called his dist and the guy told him the tensioners came with the wheelsets on the complete monocog bike and they did not have any to sell with just a frame......whats with that. Who did you get the tensioners from?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    My local Redline dealer called his dist and the guy told him the tensioners came with the wheelsets on the complete monocog bike and they did not have any to sell with just a frame......whats with that. Who did you get the tensioners from?
    Thanks,
    Dave
    Strange. The Redline tensioners are usually readily available from SBS. May just be a temporary stocking issue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Thanks Shiggy

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Strange. The Redline tensioners are usually readily available from SBS. May just be a temporary stocking issue.
    I will call the shop and suggest SBS......I'm new to this area and this is my first dealing with this shop so I don't realy know whats up.
    Dave

Am I getting too bulky?
    Danscomp has them listed for $9.99 a pair. Get 'em while they're hot! They don't always have them listed, I do know that.

I thought the whole point of getting hubs with a system like Paul's or Phil's is that they don't need a tugnut to keep them in place. I always wondered why it made a difference that they use a bolt rather than a nut, but people kept assuring me that it does. I guess this indicates that it doesn't after all? Hmm. Just my own uneducated mechanical genius mind at work here, but it seems to me that you'd be better off making a spacer out of some brass tubing to increase the diameter inside the track end, basically extending the washer, rather than using the bolt without the washer, particularly if you're using a disk brake. Having that bolt able to move around in the track end, even with a tug nut, seems like asking for trouble. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with some tubing of the right diameter.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

mtbr member

I will be using a qr hub.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bikehigh
    Danscomp has them listed for $9.99 a pair. Get 'em while they're hot! They don't always have them listed, I do know that.

I thought the whole point of getting hubs with a system like Paul's or Phil's is that they don't need a tugnut to keep them in place. I always wondered why it made a difference that they use a bolt rather than a nut, but people kept assuring me that it does. I guess this indicates that it doesn't after all? Hmm. Just my own uneducated mechanical genius mind at work here, but it seems to me that you'd be better off making a spacer out of some brass tubing to increase the diameter inside the track end, basically extending the washer, rather than using the bolt without the washer, particularly if you're using a disk brake. Having that bolt able to move around in the track end, even with a tug nut, seems like asking for trouble. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with some tubing of the right diameter.
    I will use my AC ultralite wheelset. I figured tugnuts would help keep the r wheel from moving with the use of a qr. I've never done ss before so I'm guessing a bit.
    Thanks,
    Dave

I will use my AC ultralite wheelset. I figured tugnuts would help keep the r wheel from moving with the use of a qr. I've never done ss before so I'm guessing a bit.
    Thanks,
    Dave
    The Surly Tugnut is the only chain adjuster that works well off the shelf with QR skewers.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Good job! mmmmmmmm..good info

The Surly Tugnut is the only chain adjuster that works well off the shelf with QR skewers.
    Thanks Shiggy. I guess the next step is to find out if the Surly one will work with the Monocog.
    dave

Thanks Shiggy. I guess the next step is to find out if the Surly one will work with the Monocog.
    dave
    Yes, it will. It will fit the dropouts and it will work with a bolt-on axle or a QR. It uses an insert with a smaller hole for the QR skewer.

I have modified the Redline tensioners (chain tugs, adjusters) to work with QRs though it would cost less to get a Surly.
    mtbtires.com

Combat Wombat

I got mine from Danscomp.

Yes, it will. It will fit the dropouts and it will work with a bolt-on axle or a QR. It uses an insert with a smaller hole for the QR skewer.

I have modified the Redline tensioners (chain tugs, adjusters) to work with QRs though it would cost less to get a Surly.
    Ordered them on a Monday and they arrived at my door here in Oklahoma on Wednesday. I went with tugnuts for two reasons, I want to make absolutely sure that slippage is not going to be a problem. No hubs are supposed to slip, but I do not know if it was the hills I am always mashing on or what, but I had problems with my other bike. Not much, but I still had to re-adjust the rear about every three rides. And enough tension was not a problem. I bought a very long allen wrench for the specific purpose of being able to really crank down on the bolts. I am honestly surprised I did not break something. Even after that, it still slipped. Not as much, but it did.
    Also, I think it will make it easier when I remove the wheel, to put it back to the same location in the dropouts.

Brian

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Tugnut it is...

I'll just use tugnuts........
    Thanks a bunch!
    Dave

Members who have read this thread: 0