another midge bar thread.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

another midge bar thread.

hi.

let me start off by making it clear that i love my midge bars. lots.

recently, however, i've noticed some hand fatigue happening after long rides on twisty stuff, where my fingers are poised over the lever a lot. no numbness, just a tightness/fatigue in my fingers.

it goes away quickly and is never too severe, though. anyone else experiencing anything like this? handlebar and seat height are pretty much even.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    While in the drops?
    How "tight" are your brakes?
    I keep mine loose enough so I can have one finger on the lever and pull it in slightly without dragging the brakes. Totally comfortable and secure grip with little fatigue.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    yes, in the drops.

i have enough rim clearance that i can pull the levers in slightly without engaging. i suppose i could lower the spring tension a little, but it isn't set very high.

Quote Originally Posted by ink1373
    yes, in the drops.

i have enough rim clearance that i can pull the levers in slightly without engaging. i suppose i could lower the spring tension a little, but it isn't set very high.
    But is there enough play for your finger to be comfortably curled?

How low are the levers mounted on the bar? I run mine so ~10mm of lever is below a straightedge placed on the bottom of the drop. Reduces the reach to the lever.

I remove the return springs in the levers.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    There is (enough curl) but you've got me thinking about the spring tension. I'll try setting the tension up real low, and possibly even removing the return springs (a silly feature anyway) if i feel ambitious tomorrow.

I think that I have my levers set a good deal lower than yours even, I have about an inch or so below a straight edge on the hooks. I did some experimenting with lever placement, and anything higher feels weird, anything lower and I can't use the hoods comfortably when cruising on pavement.

Have you ever tried using the 287v levers with cantis? I wonder if it would allow for good actuation while leaving more clearance between the pads and rims, or if it would just make it sloppy. I suspect the latter.

...Have you ever tried using the 287v levers with cantis? I wonder if it would allow for good actuation while leaving more clearance between the pads and rims, or if it would just make it sloppy. I suspect the latter.
    Makes the brakes weaker / requires more hand effort.
    mtbtires.com

Glad to Be Alive
    roll slower and use the brakes less
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    roll slower
    if you saw the pace that i typically keep, you wouldn't suggest that. generally good advice though.

hi.

let me start off by making it clear that i love my midge bars. lots.

recently, however, i've noticed some hand fatigue happening after long rides on twisty stuff, where my fingers are poised over the lever a lot. no numbness, just a tightness/fatigue in my fingers.

it goes away quickly and is never too severe, though. anyone else experiencing anything like this? handlebar and seat height are pretty much even.
    Me too, on all counts. I loosened the brakes a bit (Tektro levers, Avid road mechs), which helped a lot. I also think it's been getting used to a new hand position, especially given that my bike is rigid. On a dirt century last week, my left hand was hurting quite a bit, but lately I've been making more of a point to relax my hands, and that helps a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0