Another Gearing questioin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Another Gearing questioin

A little help. I'm a flatlander heading to Durango in a few weeks to do some riding. Here in Ks I ride a 29"x2.3 tired monocog geared 32x17. I can ride it all day long. The only other cog I have is the stock 20t. Will that be enough, I'm reasonably fit.

I'll primarily stick to the Purgatory resort area. Any locals with knowledge or who are familiar?

Wanna ride bikes?
    it's tough to gauge one's ability or ideal gear without exact knowledge of terrain and fitness etc. and if you put 10 riders on the same trail, there would probably be 3-4 different "ideal" gear ratio's depending on those unknown factors.

that said, i would throw the 20t on there and call it good. that's a pretty substantial jump from the 17t. it will probably be a little lower gear than you need, but I'd just go with it.

are you going for a week or just one ride? if your staying for a while i would look up a few local bike shops online before hand, give them a call and see if anyone carries freewheels/cogs in stock. worst case scenario you can make an adjustment after the first ride.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

The Original Suspect
    I agree, drop the 20t on and bring the other. If you do something like Kennebec pass, you may want the lower gear. I would suggest heading out to Cortez and hitting Phil's World, only about 45 min away and well worth the drive.

Let's ride
    Depending on how long your rides in CO will be, you may want something even lower than the 20T.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My rides will probably only be 2hrs or so a day. It's a family vacation afterall. I'm just a little worried about climbing since I refuse to take the chairlift. I've heard about phil's world, And would like to give it a shot. We'll have to see how the week goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm from Kansas as well and have spent a good deal of time riding in Durango. I have a rigid SS 29er geared 32x16 which works well for my fitness on most fast and smooth trails. But 32x18 is my go-to for the rocky tech stuff and punchy climbs up here around KC. A lot of our trails are actually really good training for Durango, just have to factor in the altitude and more sustained climbs. I bet the 20T will be a sweet ratio for most trails you encounter although I am not familiar with trails that are actually part of Purgayory resort. I did go up there to access the Hermosa Creek trail however (highly recommended). I say go for it. Worst case is you end up walking here and there and soaking up the amazing scenery. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I don't have huge local hills but nothing is flat so it's always climb or coast and usually ride 32x20 happily. I change to 32x22 for going to the mountains and riding long rides. Again nothing flat there so still climb or coast but longer and steeper climbs makes the lower gearing nice and spinning out on flats isn't an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the response guys. I am nervous but anxious to get up there. Last year I rode a fs cross country bike, and it was fun, but I've really enjoyed riding this cheap ss.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    I'd post in the Colorado forum and ask if SS'ers who ride in the Durango area can chime in what what they and others typically run on those same trails?