another first ride post- Mtbr.com
    brother on a mission

another first ride post

I finally did it. I built up a spare parts single speed and took it out on the trail. I was largely inspired by the posts on this site, my local bike shop owner and wrench (who rides a custom full rigid KHS solo-one), and the Troy Michaud who beat everyone at the vermont 50 this year on a single speed (I believe he was pushing 36:16 or something similarly superhuman)

My Bike: a parts bin build
    Scott 4130 chromoly with horizontal drops and rigid fork ('92)
    cheapo 7speed wheelset (quick release skewers)
    32:20 (both ramped for shifting, more on this later)
    stx right crank arm, deore left crank
    junk 7 speed chain (1992 hyperglide)
    stx and a lower quality center pull cantilever brakes with alivio levers
    Trek quill stem and a Scott handlebar with built in barends (AT-2? the widest one I had lying around) wrapped up in an old inner tube.

On Monday I trail tested it for the first time.
    About 30 seconds into the ride I stood up to ride up a sharp incline that begins the trail, and I found myself hurtling to the ground, whacking the bars and the top tube on my way. It hurt, and reminded me quickly why everyone says do not use ramped cogs. This was the turning point in my ride. It was limp back to the car, and wait to get the proper parts, or finish the ride and see if I liked it.

An hour later, after two ascents of our local mountain loop, 7 lost chains, and one trip over the bars (I'm still getting used to the rigid fork) and I was still smiling. Tuesday I rode for another hour, and today I am taking the day off. I really liked the riding this bike, even with the mechanical failures. I will get some photos of my frankenbike and post them here soon. Now I have to get the proper equipment on it and do this right. I just have to figure out where to start.

Want list:
    Required:
    New cog
    New chainwheel
    (maybe a bolt on SS wheelset with a freewheel?)
    Desired:
    Wide riser bars
    Bigger front tire (now I am running a somewhat worn hutchinson mosquito 2.0 I had lying around)
    (maybe linear brakes)
    Cosmetic
    New seat (now it has a "velo" saddle)
    seat post

Thanks for all the information I have gleaned from your posts. Feel free to give me your opinions on my upgrade list. I have thought of just getting an unramped cog and chainring and beating on this bike for the winter (I live in New Hampshire), then upgrading to a dedicated single speed bike.

mtbr member

I can help you out

I have a SS bolt on Paul Word Disk wheelset for sale in the classifieds. $250. I also have a Azonic 28" riser bar for $20. I only take cash or check though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    you probably only NEED a dx cog in the rear to stop your chain from coming off.

on my commuter, i only ever changed the rear cog to unramped it elimintated the chain drop. i also run a stock ramped middlering on my monocog w/ no problems.

that said i'll replace them with an unramped ring but why mess with it if it works?

mtbr member
    How is the chain tensioned? (Could be the cause of your problems)

34N 118W

Good job! nice

Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    How is the chain tensioned? (Could be the cause of your problems)
    Pay attention class!

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfix
    Scott 4130 chromoly with horizontal drops
    hey Greenie - way to get out there and give 'er with a parts bin bike. Mis-matched cranks, inner tube bar tape, going OTB and coming back for more with a smile.

first order of business is to replace your drivetrain; cog, chainring and chain with new stuff. The DX cog as mentioned is good 'n cheap. Check Salsa for chainrings. Then check, dbl check and re-check the chainline. I'm assuming you have a cassette hub with a cog and spacers now?

what's your budget for upgrades?

HW

mtbr member
    Still waiting for an answer. Never assume what a newbie has done.

Quick release, eh? Could chain tension be the problem?

brother on a mission

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies, and sorry for the delay in response. I was unavoidably detained.

Robin, Thanks for the offer on the wheelset, but that is a little beyond my budget at this point.

Pacman, I have forward facing horizontal drops and no tensioner. There is plenty of room for getting the chain tensioned without the need for a tensioner. The quick releases do make me a little concerned, especially because I have had the experience of pulling the wheel out of dropouts on a different bike (it was in traffic, involved blood, and thoroughly uninterested driving public). I have the quick releases tightened down as tight as I can get them while still being able to close teh clamp all teh way. I have checked and rechecked after riding it to see if I pull the wheel out of line with the frame and I do not.

Hollywood and Max, Thanks for the advice on the DX cogs. That will be my first stop, then the chainwheel, and I think I have a barely used SRAM 7 speed chain in the bottom of one of my boxes that I will slip on to replace the beater chain that is on there now.

My budget is somewhat limited at this point. The forward dropouts and quick release make me a little nervous about keeping this bike for a long term off road singlespeed. I would like to get it a little more rideable in the short term, and for the long term I have a lead on a barely used solo-one for about $400 (probably won't happen until the new year). They seem to be well liked on this forum.

thanks again for the advice, and the pics are coming.

edit: I deleted the question about the DX cogs because I answered it myself.
    Last edited by Greenfix; 10-29-2004 at 07:40 AM.

brother on a mission

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    going OTB and coming back for more with a smile.
    Thanks Hollywood.

I need to relearn a bit to get used to the rigid fork. It was a pretty steep downhill with a rock ledgesmack in the middle of the slope. the ledge rose up about 3 inches, not much, but I guess I did not loft the front as much as I should have. I have never really done technical trails with a rigid fork, and my first impression was, "boy does my suspension fork suck that much?" I expected a lot less control on the descents, but I am probably riding a bit slower and picking cleaner lines. I learned how to take my trail licks growing up with motorcycles, but I find at 30 it feels a little different the next day (like a lot of things ).

brother on a mission

Pics finally

Thanks again for everyone's pointers.

I scrambled some pics together.

I took a pic of the drop out, the cog that is causing the problem, and the entire bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I took a pic of the drop out, the cog that is causing the problem, and the entire bike.
    Wow, that does look worn out. First order of business is new cog (any cog) and new chain. I'll guess the chain is equally worn. When you lose the chain is it coming off the cog or the chainring? And when you put the chain back on is the tension still as good as when you started? Looking for wheel alignment won't do, a movement of 1/16" can set you up to lose the chain.

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by pacman
    Wow, that does look worn out. First order of business is new cog (any cog) and new chain. I'll guess the chain is equally worn. When you lose the chain is it coming off the cog or the chainring? And when you put the chain back on is the tension still as good as when you started? Looking for wheel alignment won't do, a movement of 1/16" can set you up to lose the chain.

Yeah, the cog is off a pretty old cassette. The chain is not as old, but I am still going to replace it with the SRAM I have in my parts box. I will probably wait to put the SRAM chain on until I get the new cog. I went to the bike shop today, but the problem with bike shops up here is that they convert to skis this time of year, so they could not help me out with the cog. I am going to try another shop later today.

The chain falls off the rear cog, and when I put it back on it goes back on with the same tension it had before.

As far as the pics of the bike goes, the wrap job is not done in the photos. I needed to redo the tape on the bars, and ran out of tape before I could finish. I will post more pictures of the bike as it grows.

Hollywood, I guess my upgrade budget sits right around $100.

Any wisdom on fixing this up versus getting the KHS?

Thanks again

(was) Big in Japan

discos

If they are good enough for Travis Brown, they are good enough for us.

Make em urself, its more fun that way.
    Ride.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Desired:
    Wide riser bars
    Since your budget is somewhat limited, and you want wide riser bars, I thought I'd point out these Ringle's from Jensonusa. 28" wide, $17. I bought some for myself a few weeks ago. I also got a take-off Jamis stem for $6 in the same order.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=HB606A01

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=ST608A00

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSingleGuy
    If they are good enough for Travis Brown, they are good enough for us.

Make em urself, its more fun that way.

I was thinking about the discos. What do you make yours out of. I have heard the the Compact disc versions do not work well. I was thinking of dremeling a couple of spoke gaurds I have lying around to use those as a disco. I may just go ahead and order a set of discos from Professor Brown.

brother on a mission
    I took some better pictures of my bike. This time the Bar wrap is intact. I have not been on it in a couple of days, but I should get about an hour in tomorrow. I have not been able to get a new cog for it yet, but I am working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images