Another dude asking for condolences- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Another dude asking for condolences

Okay, so a couple weeks ago my singlespeed broke. Plain and simple, Bought it new 5 years ago, which have been of very good use. I replaced every component but the stem and headset (no one replaces those right?), then using it as a donor bike to a new one, then built back and turned to a singlespeed, my beautiful bike finally bit the dust. The drive side chainstay cracked, I noticed because I was dropping the chain a bit more than usual and after inspection found out the awful truth. I was in the process of buying a new bike and the broken frame served as a great discount on the actual bike I was getting so I believe I will use the money saved to get me wheels. Didn’t want to get a warranty replacement frame because my 2009 Rockhopper was 26” and Specialized was offering a 29” frame, pretty useless to me given that I don’t have anything in 29” other than a spare tube, so I worked out a deal to a new bike with my dealer. The problem is that I didn’t even had a chance to say good bye, one day it was broken, next day it was part stripped at the dealer and a week later I am rolling on a new geared bike.
    I do miss my singlespeed and I am on the hunt for a fairly simple 26” hardtail so I can build it back and keep the soul of my old brunette (bike’s nickname). Gee, it is sad to see bikes go away.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another dude asking for condolences-img-20151113-wa0023.jpg  

Another dude asking for condolences-img_20150407_184320791_hdr.jpg  

nothing to see here
    Condolences brother. Nice pic on the bottom. Good memories, I bet.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Another dude asking for condolences

In no other sport is our equipment an extension of ourselves. It is what keeps us elevated above earth, as we gleefully traverse its expanses. Your old self has been put to rest, welcome to rejuvenation. Ride on and smile. (Your awesome photo inspired these words. Thanks for sharing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Wow, that definitely made me feel better. Thanks for your support, will definitely ride the new one with the proper respect for the old one

mtbr member
    do you still have all the old parts? you can probably still get an On One Inbred 26" frame or a Surly 1x1 and build it from there with the old parts.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    You are stoked! Get a new bike and hang that old frame on the wall. I sell most of my bikes/or frames, so unfortunately, I never see them again! Never seeing them again is a bummer, so enjoy your new wall art. It will bring you pleasant memories for years, and that is pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FatDirt View Post
    In no other sport is our equipment an extension of ourselves.
    My Lacrosse stick is an extension of me. In fact, it extends my reach quite a bit. I am particular about it, and don't like other brands/models. As much as my bike fits me perfect and feels in sync with my thoughts, I'm not so brash as to declare only mountain bikers capable of feeling some Zen with their gear.

Batters whine and moan over grams as much as any weight weeny.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    My Lacrosse stick is an extension of me. In fact, it extends my reach quite a bit. I am particular about it, and don't like other brands/models. As much as my bike fits me perfect and feels in sync with my thoughts, I'm not so brash as to declare only mountain bikers capable of feeling some Zen with their gear.

Batters whine and moan over grams as much as any weight weeny.
    No, there are only 2 points of contact in lacrosse and you run on the ground. 5 points of contact for cycling and no touching the ground unless intended or you crash. I am not arguing the zen factor, as every sport / activity has that enlightenment. Just saying that cycling is unique in that our entire body is elevated above earth and power of movement from the same. Peace.

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Cannondale CAD3 SS 96er build (circa 1997)

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No, there are only 2 points of contact in lacrosse and you run on the ground. 5 points of contact for cycling and no touching the ground unless intended or you crash. I am not arguing the zen factor, as every sport / activity has that enlightenment. Just saying that cycling is unique in that our entire body is elevated above earth and power of movement from the same. Peace.

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Do you mean like rollerblading? Or more like rollerskating? A skateboard maybe? Nope its winter, you must mean ice skates.
    I like bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by yzedf View Post
    Do you mean like rollerblading? Or more like rollerskating? A skateboard maybe? Nope its winter, you must mean ice skates.
    Let it go yzedf. I was just trying to give OP words of sympathy and encouragement which he appreciatively received. Your analytical negativity is not appreciated, especially by OP I'm sure. I'm done with you.

Cannondale CAADX 105

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Fatdirt stated:
    In no other sport is our equipment an extension of ourselves. It is what keeps us elevated above earth, as we gleefully traverse its expanses. Your old self has been put to rest, welcome to rejuvenation. Ride on and smile. (Your awesome photo inspired these words. Thanks for sharing)

That was amazingly stated. Well done. I've played many sports and there is nothing like the connection I have with my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    just get a 29er SS. The big wagon wheels make it superior as a rigid and it's great when standing and climbing because your rear tire keeps traction. If your new rig is a 27.5 and your wanting only 1 wheel size. get a 27.5 SS and use wide rims and a 120mm fork for a fun dirt jump type bike. The options are up to your style of riding and trails you frequent but I'd never be without a SS in my stable.Good luck!
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Let it go yzedf. I was just trying to give OP words of sympathy and encouragement which he appreciatively received. Your analytical negativity is not appreciated, especially by OP I'm sure. I'm done with you.

Cannondale CAADX 105
    Wow, you need to read up on sarcasm....
    I like bikes