Another Crank Thread- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Another Crank Thread

So i just bought a used Lysnkey Pro29er, it came with a Chris King Shimano compatible BB.

I would like some opinions on the best bang for your buck (and light weight) single speed crank set up. (used new etc). With weights if possible.

I'd really love to be able to run a spider less chain ring but it seems the options for spiderless and shimano compatible are pretty slim (middlebury is the only one i could find) and they are kinda pricey and not that light.)

I've also heard of people running Sram in shimano BB's, for those who have done it, how did it work out? would you still recommend it?

Thanks for the help. Nothing like crowd sourcing a bike build.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would purchase new/used Shimano SLX or XT crankset and convert it to a SS crankset. I would recommend a 2-piece set because they are stiffer and tend to be lighter than the other choices (ie cartridge style BB).

Try ebay. I got a nice set of XT cranks off there for around $100. It was missing the chainrings but I didn't care because I already had a chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah i'm going to try to stick to the external BB type as i have the Bottom Bracket already.

For you M960 guys, How much lighter are the M960's than a current generation XT crank (just the arms?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by icon149 View Post
    For you M960 guys, How much lighter are the M960's than a current generation XT crank (just the arms?)
    My modified m960 arms came in around 560g with the preload bolt and Ti pinch bolts. I absolutely love this setup. It is crazy stiff, and as light as almost anything out there. The only down side is sourcing a 102bcd ring. Blackspire has them, but they are pricey. Then there is HBC and their ridiculous business practices, but if you are willing to wait the product is top notch and the price is great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks Textbookonewk,

I've been watching a few M960 auctions on e-bay. I'm really tempted to buy a set but the odd 102bcd is a turn off. I've got a 104bcd HBC ti ring i could use at least while i wait on a new HBC ring but obviously that isn't an option with the M960's.

So no decent spiderless options for shimano BB's? maybe i should sell the Chris King and get a GXP style and run an X9 spyderless.

Gigantic Hawk

So no decent spiderless options for shimano BB's? maybe i should sell the Chris King and get a GXP style and run an X9 spyderless.

This. If you want a spiderless setup, I'd go this route.

mtbr member

960SS Mod Wt.

Here's the wt. of a set of 180mm 960SS modified cranks with a E|P 32t Ti ring and all fixing hardware. 540g

Yeah i'm going to try to stick to the external BB type as i have the Bottom Bracket already.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Another Crank Thread-img_2595.jpg  

mtbr member
    Crazy 8's m960 SS mods are awesome - I have 2 of them. Check with him - he may have some modded cranksets available for sale. He also usually has the 102 bcd chainrings in stock at a good price if you have him mod your crankset, and he's great to deal with. Check out his site: http://ceramikoat.com

Members who have read this thread: 0