(Another) Chris King Hub mystery- Mtbr.com
    My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004

(Another) Chris King Hub mystery

This might be an odd one, and isn't necessarily SS-specific, other than that it is a SS hub and I know there are posters here who use them in far more extreme conditions than me. Extreme weather, I mean, not the Mountain Dew sense.

But anyway - I was riding today in Wales, which was unseasonably cold and still covered in snow from a couple of days ago. All was going great - we'd made to to the top of a long and delicious climb without any problem and we were about to lose all that altitide on an occasionally steep and rocky (and snow-covered trail).

I rode down the first part of the descent before it got a little steep and sketchy for my modest abilities, walked a little way - then, when I went to pedal away, nothing doing from my hub. The freewheel was free-er than it should be, free in both directions, and I had no control to continue the descent on the bike.

On the walk down I realized that I could zip-tie the cog to the spokes and fixie it for the rest of the ride (which I could do on the road) - "If it's fixed, it must be broke" I think is the saying.

But when I looked at it at the bottom of the descent the hub was fine and dandy again and was not a problem for the rest of the ride. Weird. I still had to do the hamster dance on the road home to keep up with the gearies, but it was easier being able to freewheel occasionally.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Had the cold screwed something up? - surely that would seize it up, not free it up? Does my hub have some sense of when I might hurt myself on a descent, and quit working so that I walk? Was I hallucinating as a result of eating ripe energy gels?

Thanks.
    Wibble

"wicked good"
    You probably had a little bit of water in the hub from previous rides which got a chance to solidify on the surface of the ring-drive mechanism while you were walking. The centrifugal force and jolting descent loosened or removed enough ice and encrusted ring-drive lube for the ring drive mechanism to engage again.

The fact that it froze up while you were not riding it is particularly suspect, especially since you were at a summit with the most potential for wind and low temperature.

Just my guess. What a fun question!

Quote Originally Posted by scorcher seb
    This might be an odd one, and isn't necessarily SS-specific, other than that it is a SS hub and I know there are posters here who use them in far more extreme conditions than me. Extreme weather, I mean, not the Mountain Dew sense.

But anyway - I was riding today in Wales, which was unseasonably cold and still covered in snow from a couple of days ago. All was going great - we'd made to to the top of a long and delicious climb without any problem and we were about to lose all that altitide on an occasionally steep and rocky (and snow-covered trail).

I rode down the first part of the descent before it got a little steep and sketchy for my modest abilities, walked a little way - then, when I went to pedal away, nothing doing from my hub. The freewheel was free-er than it should be, free in both directions, and I had no control to continue the descent on the bike.

On the walk down I realized that I could zip-tie the cog to the spokes and fixie it for the rest of the ride (which I could do on the road) - "If it's fixed, it must be broke" I think is the saying.

But when I looked at it at the bottom of the descent the hub was fine and dandy again and was not a problem for the rest of the ride. Weird. I still had to do the hamster dance on the road home to keep up with the gearies, but it was easier being able to freewheel occasionally.

Anyone have any idea what happened? Had the cold screwed something up? - surely that would seize it up, not free it up? Does my hub have some sense of when I might hurt myself on a descent, and quit working so that I walk? Was I hallucinating as a result of eating ripe energy gels?

Thanks.

Out spokin'

Kings are temp sensitive

Extreme weather, I mean, not the Mountain Dew sense.
    They get cold, they freeze up. Use King's recommendations for oil in lieu of grease in subfreezing temps.

No damage done to your hub.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Yeah - I thought I remembered something about them recommending messing with the lube in cold temps, but assumed that it meant really cold. Or maybe it was really cold.

There were a few streams that we crossed and one that we had to ride up shortly before the summit, which, followed by a brief break before the descent could have frozen it up. There couldn't have been any old water in there as I'd only been inside it a couple of days before, without riding it since.

Anyway, glad to hear that it isn't more serious. Maybe I'll carry a spare hub with me on long rides just in case.

Thanks
    Wibble

Fat Boy Deluxe
    You should search the archives, might be the real old archives for "drevil" and "chris king" as he had the same exact problems this winter. Lots of replies for that one, the biggest being to piss on it (which by the way didn't work very well - all of maybe 5 minutes or until he stopped pedaling again).

DT

Yeah - I thought I remembered something about them recommending messing with the lube in cold temps, but assumed that it meant really cold. Or maybe it was really cold.

There were a few streams that we crossed and one that we had to ride up shortly before the summit, which, followed by a brief break before the descent could have frozen it up. There couldn't have been any old water in there as I'd only been inside it a couple of days before, without riding it since.

Anyway, glad to hear that it isn't more serious. Maybe I'll carry a spare hub with me on long rides just in case.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

suggestions of cause

I have repaired many King hubs due to premature ring failure (older ones with alum ring gear) and here is a suggestion. Service your hub! If it has a metal ring gear you will fix the problem. King uses a spiral slide engagement for the drive ring and it can dry out and stick, leaving it unengaged (freewheeling). The lube king uses is propriatary to his hubs and does not seem to stay wet as long as grease. Clean the whole thing good......

If it has alum rings, they could be flat by now and need to be replaced. King will send you the parts to retrofit. Even though it has alum rings the spiral slide could be sticking anyways and would be fine with a service.

Good luck......

Eric

My post is that way --->
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 2PAAD
    I have repaired many King hubs due to premature ring failure (older ones with alum ring gear) and here is a suggestion. Service your hub! If it has a metal ring gear you will fix the problem. King uses a spiral slide engagement for the drive ring and it can dry out and stick, leaving it unengaged (freewheeling). The lube king uses is propriatary to his hubs and does not seem to stay wet as long as grease. Clean the whole thing good......

If it has alum rings, they could be flat by now and need to be replaced. King will send you the parts to retrofit. Even though it has alum rings the spiral slide could be sticking anyways and would be fine with a service.

Good luck......

Eric

The hub is only just over a year old and I had a good look around in there and Ring-Drive lubed it quite recently, so I don't think it can be an alum ring problem. I'm pretty sure it must have been the conditions - the spot where it happened was sheltered form the sun too, so must have been colder than elsewhere on the ride.

But I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't recur. Thanks.
    Wibble

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Cool....

My point was not that it has a ring problem but that it probably is a sticky slide but do not be surprised if you found something else. If it stuck once...it will again. I would pop it open and wipe down the slide and lube it. You will probably find some gray pastey alum muck in there and it worsens with lower temps