mtbr member

another bar question

my question is has any one ridden the salsa promoto flatbar 11degree bend or the niner with a 9 degree bend. II'm looking for a wider flat bar and want to know if their is an advantage to the salsa over the niner with its 2 degrees of extra sweep.
    ODI | SIXSIXONE | SDG | CRANK BROTHERS |

Poorly Disguised Poser

well....

Quote Originally Posted by brucexc
    my question is has any one ridden the salsa promoto flatbar 11degree bend or the niner with a 9 degree bend. II'm looking for a wider flat bar and want to know if their is an advantage to the salsa over the niner with its 2 degrees of extra sweep.
    There is no advantage to any sweep over any other...it is a matter of what fits your needs better.

Honestly, I can not tell the difference in only 2 degrees, but it could make a difference in what stem length you need. As sweep increases, the stem needs to lengthen....and when you get up over 10 degrees, small increases in angle start to necessitate greater changes in stem length (basic geometry and triangulation).

I ride the 11 degree Salsa bars and like them just fine...but if you swapped them for 9 degree bars, I would probably notice the reach change before I noticed the sweep angle change.

I used to ride Jones bars (45 degree sweep). Everything feels like a nearly straight bar after riding on those....so 7, 9, and 11 degree all feel similar to me....and it takes me about 2 seconds to acclimate to either.

does this help you at all?
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    It helps, with bars the same length and clamp size the only diff. is sweep . I've never used anything with as much sweep as the salsa. Does it give you more leverage for climbing or just more comfort.

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by brucexc
    It helps, with bars the same length and clamp size the only diff. is sweep . I've never used anything with as much sweep as the salsa. Does it give you more leverage for climbing or just more comfort.
    My climbing technique does not rely on bar width much, so I can not help you there much...I actually grip the bars narrower for a big climb.

Leverage is a bad term, ergonomics would be better. Some people tend to develop more torque with hands facing one-another (huge sweep, or bar ends), others are most comfortable with hands facing back (like holding an un-swept bar)...it really depends on the rider...there is no singe answer for all.

If you want to see what huge amounts of sweep will do for you pick up an H-bar, or a set of Mary bars (or similar) and see for yourself. I really do not expect changing from a 5 degree bar to a 9 or 11 degree bar will offer most riders anything more than perhaps subtle comfort. That said, you will develop more power and torque when you are more comfortable (but I would not expect a drastic change).

This may sound stupid, but to me, bar sweep is a lot like saddle padding. Some guys like a lot, others like very little. Perhaps no rider knows which they prefer until they have tried several varieties.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I love the Salsa ProMoto bar but hated the 11 deg sweep - the postion was all wrong for me (and the Salsa logo also seems to be wrong, when the bar was slightly 'up' as I like it the logo pointed at the ground). Switching to the 5 deg was much better for my fit.

mtbr member

bar question

T HANKS for all the input. today I went back to my flat easton and tried it out after 2 months with a riser bar.lafter the ride i've decided to go with the niner bar wide with same sweep as the riser bar should be the answer. thank again for all the input.

mtbr member
    Did ya ever do the closed eyes, bar angle test?

grab bar (not on bike) with one hand on handgrip area. Close your eyes. Put your hands out in front of you, holding bar in one hand. Make grip as natural as possible. Open your eyes. Look at center of bar. Is it parallel with your shoulders? (i.e. Is the natural grip angle for your hands and wrist the same angle as the bar at the handgrips?) Another way to do this is to hold a short section of straight bar in each of your hands, eyes closed. What angle is formed between the two pipes, when you are holding hands in natural, relaxed state?

For me, the only bar that passes this test is the Mary bar (I've got Scott flat bar, quite a few riser bars, Salsa promoto 11 degree, etc...) I like using the different bars, and haven't gotten to the Mary on the trail yet...

I'll let you know in a week or two... gotta finish a few woodworking projects first, to get my workbench back for bike wrenching.

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Also, the streets are full of horizontal dropouts...

BSNYC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quaffimodo
    Ugh. Remember the old joke that starts out...

Two men walked into a bar...
    the third one ducked.

D.M.S.R.
    Jun 2007
    Flat bar with bar ends gave me wrist pains during long standing climbs and the round grips dug into my palms. Got a Titec Pluto Carbon bar 690mm / 2" rise / 9deg sweep and Ergon GP1 grips and it has solved all my problems in that department.

As for the other bar... here is my choice: my bar

Members who have read this thread: 0