American Classic SS Hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

American Classic SS Hub

I'm in the market for a christmas wheel build, and I'm looking at the american classic hub. Does anyone else have this? If so, what are the good/bad things about it? And please don't try to sell me on Hope's. I agree with the quality, but not with the sound.
    Thanks

Edit: I'm looking for QR without a threaded freeehub.
    Last edited by MRakus; 09-09-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    WD40 means Water Displacement and 40 is the IQ of whoever uses it to lube a bicycle chain

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MRakus View Post
    I'm in the market for a christmas wheel build, and I'm looking at the american classic hub. Does anyone else have this? If so, what are the good/bad things about it? And please don't try to sell me on Hope's. I agree with the quality, but not with the sound.
    Thanks
    hahahaha. christmas wheel build... i'm gonna use that one.

don't know anything about the AC's. Love my DT swiss 240s with the ratchet upgrade. sounds is rad too, not loud at all but distinct.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

i ride bikez!!11!
    Aug 2006
    Can't comment on the SS hub specifically, but my geared American Classic hub hasn't had any problems. Over 2 years with no maintenance

openwound
    I had a pair of their ss wheels. While the wheels (29-inch) were a bit flexy, the hub worked fine for me. I like the tall flanges. I suppose there are hubs with better engagement but they're were not bad. Hopes aren't that loud...
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I wish I could afford DT Swiss stuff... but since I'm in high school with a summer job which is about to end, I have no money because of buying other bike stuff, such as a frame. So with my remaining money, I'm giving up all christmas gifts for these wheels, hence christmas wheelbuild. And i prefer quieter hubs rather than loud ones, and hope's are a little too loud for me. Thanks for the responses
    WD40 means Water Displacement and 40 is the IQ of whoever uses it to lube a bicycle chain

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've got their hubs laced to some Bonty Duster rims. They are light, spin up quickly and seem to roll forever. I know some people haven't had good experiences with them but I've had mine for a couple of years with no problems.

mtbr member
    They are not clyde rated, thats for sure.
    The 29 wheels are super flexy under my bulk. The hubs are nice though. The engagement is comparable to a Hope, but not a King. I will eventually ditch the weight weeny rims and build something nice with the hubs.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member

Good job! Hadley

Simply the best

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Simply the best
    The OP did not ask about Hadleys (or Kings, or DT, or Hopes for that matter).

mtbr member
    I looked many times at AM SS 29er wheelset, as the rims are wider than Flows, yet the overall weight is lighter than my Arches with Hopes, but the only thing that stopped me was the rear hub's slow engagement - only 24pts if I remember correctly. That is the deal braker for me... To some people it doesn't matter, but I for one will probably never go slower than the 48pts of my Hope Pro II.
    Too bad, as I've heard good things about the wheelset in general from some people I ride with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've raced a set of AC singlespeed wheels a few years ago... I didn't like the slow engagement, but other than that, the hubs were trouble free.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    The OP did not ask about Hadleys (or Kings, or DT, or Hopes for that matter).
    Hadleys are not that well known.....and if you are going to get something like a AC why not look at all options.

Sorry to offend....

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeZee View Post
    Hadleys are not that well known.....and if you are going to get something like a AC why not look at all options.

Sorry to offend....
    No offence taken. I should of mentioned in the OP that I need QR, and I want to avoid threaded freewheels. I would rather use cogs and spacers, which is why I'm looking at AC. Thanks for all of the suggestions too! Sadly it seems Hadley does not have what I'm looking for.

openwound
    Actually, Hadley does have what you're looking for, they use a freehub body. While their ss hub can be purchased as a bolt-on hub, a simple phone call to their shop will secure a set of qr end caps. I've done it. Very sweet hubs.
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Nice. I'll have my LBS call them up when I go up there to order them. I'm going to have my LBS lace them up, mainly because I don't have much confidence in building wheels, and they can get the right spoke length. Does anyone know hadley's phone number?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    I looked many times at AM SS 29er wheelset, as the rims are wider than Flows, yet the overall weight is lighter than my Arches with Hopes,
    Where did you ge the information about rim widths? My AM SS 29r rims are narrower than the Arches on my other wheel set. The AM rims have a deeper V to them, but are much narrower. This contributes to a very flexy ride when pushed hard into corners and in techy terrain. They also do not fit fat tires very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Where did you ge the information about rim widths? My AM SS 29r rims are narrower than the Arches on my other wheel set.
    The new AC rims are supposedly 26mm wide (22mm internal width). My mistake, the Flow is actually wider - 28mm (22.6mm int.); it is wider than Arch - 24.4mm (19mm int.). But, the AC rim is supposedly sub 400g, vs. Arch (470g) and Flow (525g). Even if that "sub-400g" published weight is not entirely acurate, I would still think it would be in low 400s, well below Arch's weight.
    Where I got the info on AC rims? I actually emailed AC a few months back as I couldn't find any specs on the rims itself, and that's what they emailed back with.