Thread: Am Ss?

mtbr member

Am Ss?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around the concept of an all mountain s/s set up using a 5" fork. Looking for steel, head tube gusset, horizontal drops and US made preferably. thoughts?

mtbr member
    Check out the azonic stealhead. I don't know anything about the frame but I came across the website and it looks like what you could be looking for. The Santa Cruz Chameleon is sweet but it is aluminum and made overseas.

Axles of Evil

second the steelhead

I've got a Steelhead from a couple of seasons ago I made into a play bike. It's got a Marz AM 1 up front with BB7's and some reasonably light wheels (XT's w/ Mavic 317's, I think?).
    The geometry is a bit different for trail riding as it was designed as a urban/jumper frame. Not bad, just a different feel. I love it.
    It is a heavy frame for a hardtail. Mine weighs a bit under 6.5lbs. Fully dressed, about 26-27lbs. So what?! It's a blast to ride in the rough stuff, it just plows through and over obstacles. You miss the weight at speed because it's so easy to throw around. I know this phrase is used a lot, but it really feels like riding a big BMX bike.

mtbr member
    Calvin - Can you run an Evil Sovereign or a DOC as a single speed?

I know you statee made in USA but that might be hard unless you go custom.

If you stretch your geographic area to North America how about one of these frames out of Calgary - http://www.uriedog.com/frames.asp

Or perhaps try and locate a used Balfa Minuteman - that'd get it done as a steel AM SS if you went with say a 130mm fork up front.

Cheers,

Mark

mtbr member
    you hit the nail on the head Mark. I need to find "another" sovereign. I let one go a while back in order to build my turner up. I've heard the minuteman's angles changed radically from year to year.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    if you weren't looking for US made, I would recommend and on.one Inbred..or maybe even a 456...

(there were some 567 protos around with sliding dropouts, but only Brant @ On-One knows if they will go into production)

Harrumph
    Check out the Kona Cowan too.
    Last edited by G-reg; 05-20-2007 at 02:53 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tiles
    you hit the nail on the head Mark. I need to find "another" sovereign. I let one go a while back in order to build my turner up. I've heard the minuteman's angles changed radically from year to year.
    Yes, the Minuteman frames often had differening Head Tube angles, but with the right fork in front they would make for a very durable steel hardtail with the horizontal dropouts you seek.

Hard to find them now though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Endless?

Made in the US. Bombproof. Maybe a little heavy, but I know a bunch of them get ridden in the WNC mountains.

mtbr member
    I had an endless a long time ago. used it for street and some trail. def not a bad rig, just don't want a 26/24 set up right now. I've got it narrowed down to a used sovereign, a custom chromag samurai and a peyto wild bill.

meh... whatever
    +1 for the cowan
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    You guys keep forgetting that the Cowan is an AL frame and MrTiles wants steel.

mtbr member
    no biggie MMMark. Sovereign will be shipping tomorrow

mtbr member
    Saweeeet! What color did you get - and where did you get it?

mdc
    mtbr member

Not steel but I love my Ridge...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Evil DOC, it has sliding dropouts. Tight, no rotor/caliper adjusting, no tension problems. Steel, burly and nice looking. You can get them on Go-ride.com. I have one, (though not currently running ss) love it.
    Let The Good Times Roll

mtbr member
    mark, got the dark blue.

AND, I've owned a ridge too bitd. It was my first choice if I were to run alu and gears. Very, very solid frame. FTW makes the coolest stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0