"AM" Singlespeed Recommendations?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

"AM" Singlespeed Recommendations?

I have a Niner Air 9 RDO that I set up as a SS. I love the set up but am thinking about adding another bike that I can rip on downhills better. Things I'd be looking for are: 29" tires, slacker HTA (maybe 69 degrees), wider rims and tires, at least 100mm, ideally 120mm of travel.

I'm also considering getting a FS geared bike again, but after riding a SS HT for a while, gears don't seem necessary for my local trails and FS feels numb and too inefficient for riding out of the saddle.

Anyway, any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I have a Niner Air 9 RDO that I set up as a SS. I love the set up but am thinking about adding another bike that I can rip on downhills better. Things I'd be looking for are: 29" tires, slacker HTA (maybe 69 degrees), wider rims and tires, at least 100mm, ideally 120mm of travel.

I'm also considering getting a FS geared bike again, but after riding a SS HT for a while, gears don't seem necessary for my local trails and FS feels numb and too inefficient for riding out of the saddle.

Anyway, any recommendations?
    Canfield brothers nimble9. Is what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    There are a lot of really cool frames in this category. Are you looking for a specific frame material? Certain pricepoint?
    2019 Salsa Horsethief
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Kona Honzo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hanzo or Nimble 9 are excellent choices, I would also look at the Trans Am I really dig those frames!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The Honzo was my first thought as well.

And the new Timberjack models from Salsa could be good. They come built up complete as a 1x, but they have swinging dropouts in the frame that allow you to go SS. They also look like pretty economical buys.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start taking a look.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzler View Post
    There are a lot of really cool frames in this category. Are you looking for a specific frame material? Certain pricepoint?
    Probably anything but steel. Pricepoint is tough because I'm not sure how much I'll ride it compared to my main bike. I'd probably want to be around $1,500 and upgrade if needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Thanks for the replies. I'll start taking a look.

Probably anything but steel. Pricepoint is tough because I'm not sure how much I'll ride it compared to my main bike. I'd probably want to be around $1,500 and upgrade if needed.
    Salsa Tiberjack is i think $999 68 degree HT, short chainstays and a 120mm fork and it has swinging drop outs, it is an 11 speed but i dont think it is a XD driver so SSing should be easy and can also be had as a 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I had my N9 v1 set up SS with a 120 fork for the last 5 years. Handles chunk, and jumps well too...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "AM" Singlespeed Recommendations?-n9.jpg  

Downcountry AF
    I don't know much about any of these

Kona Big Unit, Trek Stache?, On-One Carbon 456 Evo (pretty slack)

Edit: there's a lot of steel frames in this category, but not many other options it seems unless you get into pricy carbon frames.

Kona Honzo looks like the best option so far. seems a little more Trail and less XC.

you looking for $1,500 frame or complete bike?
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Trek Stache, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Woodsmoke, Vassago Optimus Ti, Canfield Nimble 9, Gravity Pedalhead, Advocate Hayduke, Jamis Dragonslayer, Surly Karate Monkey, Vassago Verhauen, Vassago Jaberwocky (29+), Kona Honzo, etc etc.

I guess you could eliminate some of those based on cost, but I personally wouldn't take steel off the table. 😜

mtbr member
    If you're absolutely against the use of steel you could do something like a Canfield Yelli Screamy or Kona Honzo AL complete for under your budget.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't do it. I had a Niner SIR9 and built up a Honzo. The Niner was my XC bike, the Honzo was my AM/DH SSer. The Honzo has bigger brakes, a frame mounted bash guard, Maxxis Minion tires, a 140mm Reba with 20mm thru-axle, and a dropper post. I liked it so much I sold the Niner. While the Niner was slightly better at climbing hills (mostly due to being 5lbs lighter), the Honzo was so much more fun on the downhills that it made no sense to keep the SIR9. That's saying something, because I really loved that bike.

ACC
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pivot LES has great geo for descending, while also being a great climber. I have one set up with a Fox 34 at 120mm travel, so the HTA is about 68 degrees. Also using a dropper which goes a long way to making it more "AM." I am getting ready to sell the bike due to sizing considerations, so shout if you happen to be interested in a LES in size large with a solid build.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I got a 2011 Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 140mm Pike and put up with the 26" wheels.
    REALLY cheap AM fun.

mtbr member
    Carbon options; Canfield EPO, Ibis Tranny(beltable if that's a thing for ya), Pivot LES as already mentioned.

mtbr member
    I was in a similar situation. I have a Niner One 9 RDO and love the bike, but wanted something I could have more fun on. I ended up with a Niner ROS 9, which can be found on closeout right now. I have mine set up with a 120mm fork, dropper, and 30mm rims with 2.6" tires. I think it will do everything you're looking for.

The frame is heavy, but the weight helps keep things more stable on rough downhills. Also, I know carbon is strong, but in general I'm a lot more comfortable getting air and pushing my limits on a 6 pound steel frame than I am on a sub 3 pound carbon frame.

western NC
    Having just converted a Stache to SS, and having a Fuel EX 9 as my other primary bike, I'll give another vote for the Stache. It feels very similar to my Fuel EX geometry wise, and it's a blast to ride. I also have a Soma B side I built up running a 120mm fork up front. Also a lot of fun, especially locally where there's nothing really technical. But in technical terrain I prefer the traction and rollover of the 29+ personally. I have beefy wheels and tires on the B side, so I don't really notice a difference in getting the 29+ setup rolling.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Man, I wish I could demo a bunch of these bikes.
    The reason I steel wouldn't be ideal is because I'd like something somewhat light and with flex. I know not all steel is equal, so maybe a decent cro-mo would be ok.

I'm hoping I can try out a Honzo. I'm not a weight weenie but my current bike is 22# and I have a lot of steepish, technical climbs that I like to fly up. So a bike in the high 20's may feel pretty sluggish. I'm also considering tossing some fatter tires on my Air9 at least for the time being until there are a few demos available by me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    Having just converted a Stache to SS, and having a Fuel EX 9 as my other primary bike, I'll give another vote for the Stache. It feels very similar to my Fuel EX geometry wise, and it's a blast to ride. I also have a Soma B side I built up running a 120mm fork up front. Also a lot of fun, especially locally where there's nothing really technical. But in technical terrain I prefer the traction and rollover of the 29+ personally. I have beefy wheels and tires on the B side, so I don't really notice a difference in getting the 29+ setup rolling.
    I'm adding this to my list of bikes to check out. Do you know the weight?

that guy
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Man, I wish I could demo a bunch of these bikes.
    The reason I steel wouldn't be ideal is because I'd like something somewhat light and with flex. I know not all steel is equal, so maybe a decent cro-mo would be ok.

I'm hoping I can try out a Honzo. I'm not a weight weenie but my current bike is 22# and I have a lot of steepish, technical climbs that I like to fly up. So a bike in the high 20's may feel pretty sluggish. I'm also considering tossing some fatter tires on my Air9 at least for the time being until there are a few demos available by me.
    You can build steel SS bikes that are well under 25 pounds, even WITH a suspension fork. I have a buddy who rides a 22 pound steel Verhauen -- it's glorious! Just something to think about...

western NC
    I did the bottom end Stache 5 (throwing most of it in a box anyway), and ride an XL frame. Mine was 29lbs before going tubeless and adding my dropper post. Doesn't feel like a 29lbs bike when you ride it though. The 5 comes with good cranks, a decent fork, and decent wheels.

Downcountry AF
    this makes me cringe. please allow me to clear up some misconceptions about steel.

yes, steel is a little heavier than aluminum and carbon, but it's not that significant in many cases and less significant in the grand scheme. (please nobody compare a XC race frame to a AM hardtail frame) high end steel frames are a very reasonable weight. when you add rider weight, gear, and bike weight (175-235 lbs average?) 1.5-2 lbs in the frame isn't that significant, less than 1%. a pound or two in the frame isn't that big a deal IMO. a pound or two in your wheels and tires IS!

modern steel frames are all Cromo/chromo/cro-mo/chromoly steels. the difference is in air hardening, heat treating, and slightly different alloys. basically True Temper 4130 tubing is the same as Reynolds 520 but there are many others. as you go up the scale typically you get more strength, higher quality, better ride quality, and less weight. Reynolds for example goes 520, 531, 631, 725, 853, 953 (stainless). the two most common high end steels are Reynolds 853 or True Temper OX Platinum.

Steel is (generally speaking) the most compliant frame material. carbon can be designed to dull the trail chatter a bit but it lacks that "lively" springy ride characteristic that only steel has. Aluminum is stiff and harsh IMO. it has no personality, no soul, and is less fun to ride for me.

if you look into higher end steel frames you'll find the additional weight to be quite acceptable. however, your asking about a Trail or AM frame which is going to be built strong, and ultimately a bit heavier.

sorry, just had to get that out. if steel is not your thing that's totally cool, and i get it. it's not for everyone or every frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

Upcyclist
    Although not a 29er, it could fit 29" wheels if I'm not mistaken. 2016s are 35% off right now.

SERGEANT Aluminum - RSD

ACC
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just posted my LES for sale here: Pivot LES singlespeed - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Sorry to spam, but just in case there's interest from this thread!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Just posted my LES for sale here: Pivot LES singlespeed - Buy and Sell Mountain Bikes and Accessories

Sorry to spam, but just in case there's interest from this thread!
    Looks real nice. I'm looking for something with a slacker HTA and less $ if I buy used, but good luck selling

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post
    this makes me cringe. please allow me to clear up some misconceptions about steel.

yes, steel is a little heavier than aluminum and carbon, but it's not that significant in many cases and less significant in the grand scheme. (please nobody compare a XC race frame to a AM hardtail frame) high end steel frames are a very reasonable weight. when you add rider weight, gear, and bike weight (175-235 lbs average?) 1.5-2 lbs in the frame isn't that significant, less than 1%. a pound or two in the frame isn't that big a deal IMO. a pound or two in your wheels and tires IS!

modern steel frames are all Cromo/chromo/cro-mo/chromoly steels. the difference is in air hardening, heat treating, and slightly different alloys. basically True Temper 4130 tubing is the same as Reynolds 520 but there are many others. as you go up the scale typically you get more strength, higher quality, better ride quality, and less weight. Reynolds for example goes 520, 531, 631, 725, 853, 953 (stainless). the two most common high end steels are Reynolds 853 or True Temper OX Platinum.

Steel is (generally speaking) the most compliant frame material. carbon can be designed to dull the trail chatter a bit but it lacks that "lively" springy ride characteristic that only steel has. Aluminum is stiff and harsh IMO. it has no personality, no soul, and is less fun to ride for me.

if you look into higher end steel frames you'll find the additional weight to be quite acceptable. however, your asking about a Trail or AM frame which is going to be built strong, and ultimately a bit heavier.

sorry, just had to get that out. if steel is not your thing that's totally cool, and i get it. it's not for everyone or every frame.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This frame is pretty much the slackest AM I've ever heard of. Plus you can customize the frame if needed. Super long reach too. https://www.btr-fabrications.com/products/ranger-frame/
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    This frame is pretty much the slackest AM I've ever heard of. Plus you can customize the frame if needed. Super long reach too. https://www.btr-fabrications.com/products/ranger-frame/
    I don't see any sliding dropouts on that frame. How is that a good SS frame?

Out spokin'
    I love my 4 y/o steel Honzo with a 160mm fork. If anything happens to this bike, I'll seek to duplicate it. I ride an XL frame and this is the first steel frame I've ridden that doesn't feel like rubber. And it's heavy -- 7#. Don't care. It's awesome!
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by *OneSpeed* View Post

{snipped for brevity}

Well said, and I'd second everything he wrote.

I don't push the "steel is real" dogma on everyone but for firsthand experience- I was riding a sub-4lb alloy HT frame (On-One ScandAl) with a Reba and Stan's wheels. It weighed about 23.5 lbs.
    I got the chance to buy a new Vassago Jabberwocky frame that weighs *exactly* 6lb. I built it up with the same parts, except for a few things here and there, different stem, swapped spacers, new grips, ect. It weighed in on build day at just a whisper under 26.
    A lot of the geo on those bikes is similar, especially where it matters: ETT, BB drop and CS length.Like within a few mm in most cases. HTA was about 1* slacker on the Jabber. They felt almost identical from the cockpit on the 'down the street' test ride.

On the trail, the Vassago is a *MUCH* better riding bike. It climbs better, it descends better. It's much less fatiguing on the body when you're in the saddle for 4+ hours.

TL;DR- IMO, ride quality far outweighs frame weight for a hardtail where ride quality is actually felt on every rock, root, and bump.
    Donít modify the trail to match your skills, modify your skills to match the trails.

jct
    mtbr member
    there's a new SC Chameleon about to drop with sliders. aluminum. stealth cable routing. boost. 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Soma Valhallen. Hard to find details about this frame, but a teaser or two has shown up on Soma's Facebook page. Looks rowdy. Knowing Soma, it will most likely have sliders. All they seem to hav revealed so far is that the headtube will be 68+ and Boost-ready. looks like a B+ with a fat seat tube to accommodate a variety of dropper posts.

"AM" Singlespeed Recommendations?-16300366_1211919258886574_520940184828803726_o.jpg
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 02-13-2017 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice, I like the Somas. I considered the Sandworm, but the weight was on the heavy side. Any deets on the BB shell, hopefully threaded?

Facebook holdout...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Gigantic Hawk
    This is my third Canfield Nimble 9. Great bikes.

"AM" Singlespeed Recommendations?-img_20170101_162956564.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
    This is my third Canfield Nimble 9. Great bikes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170101_162956564.jpg 
Views:	604 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1121330
    Dude that's a bad ass nimble. Is it the new boost model or a 16. And how do you like the dvo on it. I'm getting ready to rebuild mine with some proper wheels and a mrp stage fork.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    https://www.btr-fabrications.com/products/chaser-frame/
    This one is SS but not as slack.
    Quote Originally Posted by HPIguy View Post
    I don't see any sliding dropouts on that frame. How is that a good SS frame?
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

the air is thin up here..
    One more vote for the honzo (steel...or ti).

Perfect all-round geo, laterally stiff but compliant frame (no way I'd ride an aluminum hardtail for AM), great tire clearance, threaded BB, and affordable. Lots of standover room, internal dropper capable.

Edit: one more note about aluminum - I rode my aluminum trek rig shortly before I bought my 2012 honzo, and remember very clearly noticing the increased ride quality going down the rough stuff. Kona has further increased ride compliance since then (flattened seat stays).
    2017 Transmission Smuggler
    2015 Kona Paddy Wagon
    www.mngnt.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Soma Valhallen. Hard to find details about this frame, but a teaser or two has shown up on Soma's Facebook page. Looks rowdy. Knowing Soma, it will most likely have sliders. All they seem to hav revealed so far is that the headtube will be 68+ and Boost-ready. looks like a B+ with a fat seat tube to accommodate a variety of dropper posts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16300366_1211919258886574_520940184828803726_o.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	245.1 KB 
ID:	1121291
    the word i got about this bike is it's designed for 140mm fork and boost. From an old instagram post it's also got an EBB.

Soma said they should be available in 5-6 months.

Gigantic Hawk
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Dude that's a bad ass nimble. Is it the new boost model or a 16. And how do you like the dvo on it. I'm getting ready to rebuild mine with some proper wheels and a mrp stage fork.

It's a boost frame. I had this fork on my '13 N9, and it was great. The new frame should solve the little issues I had with the '13, that being not enough reach, lighter, and a round top tube (less inner thigh bruising).

I also have a 9.8 dropper on it now. Comes in at 29 pounds even.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    My local shop is telling me Kona is done building Steel Honzo's for the foreseeable future. They managed to find me a frame from another dealer, I've just finished building it up. It's an awesome bike, sad to see them go.

mtbr member
    On the topic of rowdy SS 29ers, i just got a ROS 9. Super fun bike!

mtbr member
    The spot rocker fits the bill as a solid AM bike. I can't wait to finish getting it together.

mtbr member
    That Soma looks nice. Not a fan of the EBB though.

If I were shopping for a new SS, I'd take a hard look at the Reeb Dikyelous.

what the quan?!
    still gettin'er dialed in, but this is my new all-mountainy singlespeed machine

"AM" Singlespeed Recommendations?-amsinglez.jpg