Am I setup right?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Am I setup right?

Need some help here.. I sold my FS Titus frame and used the parts for a new 19in explosif. I've been riding the FS for years and am used to the feel of the bike and want to be sure I am positioned correct on the Kona so I don't trash my knees or back.. Anything glaringly wrong with my form? It feels OK I suppose but again it's my first time on a HT in 6 years... Thanks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Your seat height looks about right.
    However, you seem very upright on the bike.
    Do you have a riser bar on it?
    Might want to consider a flat bar if you do.
    Or, a longer/lower stem if you find the front end wanting to come up on climbs.
    Lenny

Duckin' Fonuts.
    Dec 2005
    How tall is you? Looking at that from here on my couch I would say you need a longer stem and to raise the seat about 3-4 cm. Your right knee is at a pretty acute angle at the top of your pedal stroke and your left leg is far from fully extended. I agree that you are sitting fairly upright too. My very first hunch is that a 20" frame may have been a better choice. Judging by your fit and frame size I would be willing to bet you inseam is near 33" and you are a about 6'1.5"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonracerrichie
    How tall is you? Looking at that from here on my couch I would say you need a longer stem and to raise the seat about 3-4 cm. Your right knee is at a pretty acute angle at the top of your pedal stroke and your left leg is far from fully extended. I agree that you are sitting fairly upright too. My very first hunch is that a 20" frame may have been a better choice. Judging by your fit and frame size I would be willing to bet you inseam is near 33" and you are a about 6'1.5"
    I agree with the knee comment (though I don't know how I look on a bike). Are those 175mm cranks? A setback seatpost would help with the short TT.

mtbr member
    The cranks are 175mm. I did think of a setback seapost but thought that my knees would then be too far behing the pedal axles but I may be wrong. (I was thinking abou the rule of the plumb line from the kneecap to the pedal axle) I'd rather go that route than a 130 stem...

ito
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'd have to see you riding to be sure, but it looks like the frame is too small. You've got a longer stem on there but you still seem way upright. You also have a pretty distinct bend in your knee while the pedal is in the lowest position. A set back seat post raised up a few cm's might help.

You really look like you belong on a 21". with how high your right knee is I'm going to say the frame is too small. How tall are you? Give us a few measurements.

Did you get fit at a bike shop?

The Ito

mtbr member
    We guesstimated at the shop, and based on the kona fit guide the frame should work. The frame is a 19, 20 is the largest. If I use a setback thomson post it will give me the same ETT as the 20 frame. The stem is currently a 120. I'm a bit over 6'1and I believe my inseam is between 32 and 33 in..
    Last edited by theFuzz; 08-15-2006 at 03:00 PM.

blame me for missed rides
    ETT is totally independent of what type of seatpost you use because it's always measured to the axis of your seat TUBE. the saddle setback tunes your pedaling position, the stem adjusts your reach.

mtbr member
    Good point, I guess I was thinking along the lines of distance between my arse and the bars.. Went out for an initial spon today and it felt pretty good after raising the seatpost a bit, probably need a few more before any changes...

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz
    Good point, I guess I was thinking along the lines of distance between my arse and the bars.. Went out for an initial spon today and it felt pretty good after raising the seatpost a bit, probably need a few more before any changes...
    You are talking about what I call "functional" TT length.

You need to set your position over the BB (by using KOPS or whatever you like) then you can adjust the stem length.

The functional TT is affected by the seat tube angle. With a steeper STA the saddle needs to move back on the seatpost to maintain your position over the BB. Given the same ETT length a steeper STA increases the functional TT length.

I do not find your pic useful other than the saddle may be low. You are sitting in an unnatural position that you would not be using while riding.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by theFuzz
    We guesstimated at the shop, and based on the kona fit guide the frame should work. The frame is a 19, 20 is the largest. If I use a setback thomson post it will give me the same ETT as the 20 frame. The stem is currently a 120. I'm a bit over 6'1and I believe my inseam is between 32 and 33 in..
    I'm 6'0" 32' inseam and the 2006 20" Explosif is a perfect fit for me. That frame definitely looks too small for you.

BTW- Been riding that frame over a month now and it totally kicks ass! Rode my Ellsworth FS today for the first time since I built up the Explosif and really wished I had brought out the Kona instead.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

enjoying the kool-aid
    I think I agree that the frame seems a little small for you. But without changing frames, there things you could do to help. Though they will all be compromises to having the correct size frame.

You may find that your current setup, with some tweeks is perfect for you. Just b/c it isn't theoretically perfect, doesn't mean it won't work for you and be comfy.

I am just under 6' at around 5' 11.5" with a 31.5" inseam. I ride a 19" Ventana with a 24.1 ETT and a 19" Soma 4one5 with a ~23.7 ETT. I run 90mm stems and low riser bars on both bikes and they both feel very comfy to me. I am not a fan of longer stems.

It sounds like you need to test ride a larger Kona if you can.... out on the trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0