Aluminum rigid fork? Anyone ride one?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Aluminum rigid fork? Anyone ride one?

What are the pros of the Aluminum rigid fork!

I know there stiff.

V-Shaped Rut
    Stiff, light.

Downsides are harshness.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am using a misfit aluminum fork on my Unit. It is less harsh then the then the Kona P2 that it replaced. I have never run a carbon one so i can't compare that. But for 100 dollars I was happy with the weight dropped and the better ride.

Dudette
    I'm also running the Misfit aluminum fork on my diSSent. I can't get over how light it is either. As far as being harsh? I don't know - guess I kind of expected it to feel a lot different from a suspended fork and I don't have any other rigid forks to compare it to. I just take it for what it is and ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

alum here

I'm riding an aluminum fork on my 2010 Cannondale SS 29er. I've had them all carbon, steel, and Carbon wrapped alum. Look, rigid is rigid. I've never been able to tell much difference in rigid forks unless one is really flexy. My ALum fork tracks well is light and actually flexes a bit on big hits. I would arque there isn't enough noticable differance to warrant spending big bucks on a rigid fork. Rigid is rigid.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I've been looking at the eXotic aluminum fork. Same as their carbon one but in aluminum for about $100. I think it weighs like 1.6lbs too.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    I have a Soul Cycles rigid aluminium fork, I actually find it more comfortable and stiff than my steal Dekerf Tuning fork off my last bike (Dekerf Implant).

I would whole-heartedly recommend both of the mentioned forks, but for an aluminium fork the SC can't be beaten in my opinion!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Find a Cannondale shop that's been around for a while and they'll likely have a few of Cannondale's aluminum forks (I've been running one on my American Breezer for a couple decades). It's light, obviously long lived, has lots of clearance, and cost me $20.00. I stripped off the paint and polished it to match the finish on the American Breezer's aluminum frame. If you have a newer frame and can only find the Cannondale forks with a 1" steerer tube, simply use a reducing headset. I'm running one that way on a Team Fat Chance. And depending on the length of the steerer tube you can use them with threaded or threadless headsets.

mtbr member
    yep misfit one. I think its compliant enough that I sold my carbon fork for the money.It.is also lighter then the carbon too.

is buachail foighneach me
    Cannondale pepperoni forks are definitely bomber. Older Klein forks are great too.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J
    I have a Soul Cycles rigid aluminium fork, I actually find it more comfortable and stiff than my steal Dekerf Tuning fork off my last bike (Dekerf Implant).

I would whole-heartedly recommend both of the mentioned forks, but for an aluminium fork the SC can't be beaten in my opinion!
    I thought Soul Cyles was cromo. Anyway, I've had three steel forks on mtbs and one sucked and the other two felt exactly the same, which was good. Point is, I doubt an aluminum fork is going to suck worse than the stock KM fork and will weigh a lot less.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    I thought Soul Cyles was cromo. Anyway, I've had three steel forks on mtbs and one sucked and the other two felt exactly the same, which was good. Point is, I doubt an aluminum fork is going to suck worse than the stock KM fork and will weigh a lot less.
    It is Cromo, that or it is the heaviest aluminum in the world.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmckeel
    It is Cromo, that or it is the heaviest aluminum in the world.
    Oh, sorry for the confusion!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have a 26" Cannondale with the Pepperoni Fork and a Monocog 29er. We have lots of sharp edged rocks so the tires are usually run with about35-40 upfront and 40 in back.
    2.2's on the Cannondale, 2.3's on the Monocog. The Monocog is so much smoother. I know the 29's are a big part of the ride. The Cannondale doesn't get much use by me anymore.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VicnPA
    I'm riding an aluminum fork on my 2010 Cannondale SS 29er. I've had them all carbon, steel, and Carbon wrapped alum. .
    Where did you get a carbon wrapped alum fork? Who makes it?

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by ccd1977
    Where did you get a carbon wrapped alum fork? Who makes it?
    bontrager switchblade. it's a great fork.

"Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    also running the miSSfit allum fork tried carbon and went back I even kept the fork when I sold the missfit dissent and I run it on my sir9 very smooth
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by VicnPA
    I'm riding an aluminum fork on my 2010 Cannondale SS 29er. I've had them all carbon, steel, and Carbon wrapped alum. Look, rigid is rigid. I've never been able to tell much difference in rigid forks unless one is really flexy. My ALum fork tracks well is light and actually flexes a bit on big hits. I would arque there isn't enough noticable differance to warrant spending big bucks on a rigid fork. Rigid is rigid.
    Which alum fork did you go with?

Members who have read this thread: 3