Alternative frame to Niner Air 9 Carbon- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Alternative frame to Niner Air 9 Carbon

Hi All,

So after 5-6 years I am looking for an alternative to my Niner Air 9 carbon. The eBB is so problematic and I tried everything under the sun to get it to stop creaking but IMO it is just a flaw in the design. With that said I like to get a similar frame but something that has dropouts vs eBB. Anyone know of anything? Closest thing I found was the Pivot 2015 frame but I cannot seem to find one anywhere. I have i9 hubs so I can adjust the endcaps but I am not looking at anything with Boost. Can the Foundry Hightower be run with dropouts SS? Any suggestions would be appreciated..... does not even have to be a name brand.

TIA!
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I really love my Ibis Tranny 29, I have been on it since late August 2016 and have had no problems at all. The slot machine tension system was a little bit of a concern at first because it was an unknown, but after a lot of miles and endurance races it has been perfect and actually the easiest tensioning method I have ever used (which includes EBB, and all sorts of sliders). The geometry of the Tranny is a little different in that the TT length feels slightly short, but after a few rides I really started to appreciate it, especially in the tight technical slow moving stuff (think a more focused center of gravity, I am not as spread out). There is retarded stand over which I don't usually care too much about but if its there its nice! The only thing about the frame I am not 100% sold on is the 71* head tube angle. I have been running it this whole time with a 100mm Reba and it has been fine but I think 1* or 1.5* slacker would be nice at times. I could run a 120mm fork which would take it to a 70*, but I don't need or want a 120mm. I just ordered a Cane Creek Angleset to try which should get me to 69.7*.

The Tranny is a very well built and versatile bike that can be ran geared, SS with a chain or belt, and also will pack up smaller than most frames for travel. It is very stiff in the BB and transfers power so good! But yet I do 100 milers on it and stay comfortable. The only other bike I would consider (and really want to try) is the Pivot Les 2.

Good luck in your search!

mtbr member
    Have you tried carbogrip on your ebb? Have to be careful to not apply too much, but it usually stops creaking.

It may not be quite what you're looking for, but a titanium salsa el mariachi could be an option if you can find one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Have you tried carbogrip on your ebb? Have to be careful to not apply too much, but it usually stops creaking.

It may not be quite what you're looking for, but a titanium salsa el mariachi could be an option if you can find one.
    Thanks Jbell and Coke. I do have Carbogrip and I am thinking that did work the best after everything I tried. The Pivot LES 29 is the way to go but it gets up there with $$$ and now everything has Boost. I will look at the Ibis and titanium salsa el mariachi. I was thinking of Ti I like the light bike but with SS I wanted to hassle but the ebb is so problematic. I own a One 9 too and same thing but right now that frame is sitting around. I should really ebay it.
    1998 GT Palomar, 2009 Gary Fisher Paragon.

eri
    mtbr member
    Its fine and noble to want a new bike after all that time. You earned it!

My suggestion, try a bunch of bikes to see what you might like. My suggestion: Kona Raijin.

But have you tried alternatives to keep your faithful steed alive? Could you lose the ebb and go with a magic gear ratio?

Best of Luck!
    the truth is always a gift because it offers the recipient of that information the chance to change the outcome - Grace Choi

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by raekism View Post
    Thanks Jbell and Coke. I do have Carbogrip and I am thinking that did work the best after everything I tried. The Pivot LES 29 is the way to go but it gets up there with $$$ and now everything has Boost. I will look at the Ibis and titanium salsa el mariachi. I was thinking of Ti I like the light bike but with SS I wanted to hassle but the ebb is so problematic. I own a One 9 too and same thing but right now that frame is sitting around. I should really ebay it.
    Did you try teflon paste? It worked great for my buddies niner air 9 ebb creak issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ti frames are sweet too! I had a Cysco that I rode for several years and loved every second of it! I hear ya on the Les getting expensive, plus there aren't any good single speed specific hubs in boost yet (meaning I9 has yet to release them).

I just built up a 2017 Lynskey 6-4 Pro 29 (new geometry and boost) 1X11 drivetrain and I am really liking how that bike rides. I am not sure if Lynskey would do it, but the "new" 6-4 Pro 29 with sliders that uses a 148 thru axle would be killer!

A steel Reeb Dikyelous is also a cool frame.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    Ti frames are sweet too! I had a Cysco that I rode for several years and loved every second of it! I hear ya on the Les getting expensive, plus there aren't any good single speed specific hubs in boost yet (meaning I9 has yet to release them).

I just built up a 2017 Lynskey 6-4 Pro 29 (new geometry and boost) 1X11 drivetrain and I am really liking how that bike rides. I am not sure if Lynskey would do it, but the "new" 6-4 Pro 29 with sliders that uses a 148 thru axle would be killer!

A steel Reeb Dikyelous is also a cool frame.
    I have i9 ss boost. Not sure why you think they dont make it. Its end caps on their ss hub.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Nov 2015
    Get a carbon Santa Cruz Highball and put a trickstuff exzentriker on it.

Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    On my Chameleon, I found grease (as per manufacturer spec) slipped, carbon paste was too grippy and wouldn't let me do the bolt up enough (sliding wedge style) and copperslip seems to be the best.

If I couldn't get any joy, I'd be looking at a Bushnell or Co-Motion EBB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    [QUOTE=LaneDetroitCity;13195625]I have i9 ss boost. Not sure why you think they dont make it. Its end caps on their ss hub.

Sent from my SM

Are you using a spacer for the brake rotor? I was under the impression that Boost required the brake rotor be relocated from the "non-boost" position. Maybe I am completely incorrect...

Nov 2015
    [QUOTE=jbell;13196417]
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I have i9 ss boost. Not sure why you think they dont make it. Its end caps on their ss hub.

Sent from my SM

Are you using a spacer for the brake rotor? I was under the impression that Boost required the brake rotor be relocated from the "non-boost" position. Maybe I am completely incorrect...
    What you are talking about is for a dt swiss hub. I have that too, the boostinator from Wolftooth. For i9 you buy end caps and mount up.

Edit..i made a mistake, my end caps are 142. From 10x135. You probably need something like a boostinator. The package says 142/148 so thats why i thought that.