Alternate gearing for a Dinglespeed??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Alternate gearing for a Dinglespeed??

I have a 32/20 now and was wanting something easier for climbing, what could I use? I think my gear inch is 64.3 if that makes a differance
    Thanks Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    That's already a pretty low gearing. Even on a 29er that's 46 or so gear inches. IMO, any lower and it's going to be miserable to ride on anything other than a very steep climb. Unless you plan to stop at the bottom of every climb and swap the chain over to the other ring and swap it back at the top, but that really defeats the whole SS thing.
    All of the true things I'm about to tell you are shameless lies.

mtbr member
    Cool, I have not even rode this gear combo yet, don't get the gears till the weekend and use just wondering. Now I might have to start thinking about something higher
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What kind of terrain are you riding? Steep hills, tons of flats, tons of climbing.
    32x20 is basically the standard gearing here in colorado where there are lots of steep climbs.
    32x18 is great if you ride quick short hills and some flatter terrain

Apr 2007
    Unless you're riding a 49er, 32/20 combo does not give you 64.3 gear inches. (nobody check my math--just making a point.)

There are some steep trails that I sometimes ride and usually drop down in the low 40's GI. That's 33/32 x 22.

So basically, to get lower gearing to aid in climbs, get bigger cogs or smaller chainrings. Press rewind if I haven't blown your mind.

EDIT: I'd officially like to cast in my vote to start a "dingle" subforum. Where all the dingle dorks can mingle, dingling their dongle.

mtbr member
    I ride steep, long climbs with my FS bike and was wanting to take my SS on them. I built the SS for a rails to trails path that is 37 miles long with gentle climbs. And I got the 46.3 from Sheldon Browns site

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Unless you're riding a 49er, 32/20 combo does not give you 64.3 gear inches. (nobody check my math--just making a point.)

There are some steep trails that I sometimes ride and usually drop down in the low 40's GI. That's 33/32 x 22.

So basically, to get lower gearing to aid in climbs, get bigger cogs or smaller chainrings. Press rewind if I haven't blown your mind.

EDIT: I'd officially like to cast in my vote to start a "dingle" subforum. Where all the dingle dorks can mingle, dingling their dongle.
    Point made; but what does this post have to do with a dingle anyway?
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    Point made; but what does this post have to do with a dingle anyway?
    Two things:

1) Gear down rather than going dingle since he's already at a low 32/20 anyway. Setting up a dinkle at 32/22 is stupid.

2) Dingle guys never get laid.

Retro Grouch
    Two things:

1) Gear down rather than going dingle since he's already at a low 32/20 anyway. Setting up a dinkle at 32/22 is stupid.
    A dingle for 32:20 would be 30:22; not really sure how stupid it would be, but it would be a very low gear.

2) Dingle guys never get laid.
    That's only if you dingle all the time; something that needs to be avoided for obvious reasons.

Ovaries on the Outside
    JoeV- I'm not sure if you want a dingle or just more time on a SS... Give the 32x20 a run for a month and then get back to us...

2.) Dingle guys never get laid.
    They also never get syphilis.

mtbr member
    Will do, like I said, I havn't even rode it yet, just put my Fuel in that gearing and didn't like the steep hills and bailed to a smaller front gear

Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    A dingle for 32:20 would be 30:22; not really sure how stupid it would be, but it would be a very low gear.
    I'm not fluent in dinglese, but doesn't two cogs also count as a dingle? Should he able to run 20 and 22 without having to mess with the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    They also never get syphilis.
    Don't remind me.

Retro Grouch
    I'm not fluent in dinglese, but doesn't two cogs also count as a dingle? Should he able to run 20 and 22 without having to mess with the chain.
    A true dingle involves changing the gear ratio without changing the tooth count. This allows you to manually change your gear ratio without having to mess with your brake adjustment. Also, if you are running a tensioner, unless you have a Melvin, it is doubtful it would be able to handle more than 1 tooth difference.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe V
    Will do, like I said, I havn't even rode it yet, just put my Fuel in that gearing and didn't like the steep hills and bailed to a smaller front gear
    I'll await the report.

Not sure that you have a dingle at this point. What sort of bike do you have?

mtbr member
    A '07 Redline Monocog 29er

Ovaries on the Outside
    Ok, I think 32x20 is a good place to start. I'd probably use that ratio if I were on a 29er.

If you find you need a lower gear- 32x22, things will get interesting. A 22t cog is an expensive experiment. They are hard to find, so you'll have go away from a cheapo stamped cog. However, with your dropouts you ought to be able to swing a 2t difference in cogs without greatly effecting brake performance. I know, because I've done it on the 26" version...

mtbr member
    I use HBC machined stuff, got a cog, ring and tuggs on the way now.

Ovaries on the Outside
    You're gold. Post some in the SS Picture thread. i want to see the ass sled.

mtbr member
    I will when it's built. It's all in pieces now, only thing stock is the frame

mtbr member
    DONE:
    " width="549">

mtbr member
    That thing is righteous. Minus the color chain, but I'll over look that.

mtbr member
    Thank Man, I still don't know about the chain myself,
    More pics in the SS pic thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe V
    DONE:
    " width="549">
    my daughter loves the color and wants to know why you dont paint the frame to match

mtbr member
    Thanks, but what color? Red? I just changed it from the poop brown to matte black, Tell her maybe later

mtbr member
    Just put a 21 on the back and be done with it.....
    Just ride and quit bit$hin.......Yeti SB5+..SIR9 SS...CD Synapse DA...

Members who have read this thread: 0