Alt bars - help with stem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Alt bars - help with stem

Okay, building up a new bike, going to go with Ragley Carnegie bars (carbon). I've never ridden an "alt" bar before, so I need a little insight.

Current ride is a Spec. Stumpy SS (large), setback post, 105 mm stem running at flipped (it's either -10˚ or -15˚). I'm running straight, flat, and wide carbon bars and a Niner carbon fork.

New build is a Salsa Selma Ti SS (large), plan to use the same setback post, and Ragley Carnegie bars (not the inverted ones). I don't have access to a wide variety of stems to play with, and I'll be running another Niner carbon fork, so cutting the thing correctly is kind of important. I am guessing a 100mm Thomson 0˚ stem (knowing that I may end up having to swap it out at some point).

I'm just a little over 6' tall, fairly normal proportions I guess. Is the 100mm stem a good starting point with the Carnegie bars?

Thanks!

Bro Mountainbiker
    I can only figure that stuff out with trial and error. Maybe some friends will let you borrow their spare stems in various sizes. Consider it a bump!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx View Post

I'm just a little over 6' tall, fairly normal proportions I guess. Is the 100mm stem a good starting point with the Carnegie bars?

Thanks!
    Yes.

I'm just messing with you
    The manufacturer may be able to tell if additional stem length is needed to put your hands in the same place as they would be with a straight bar. Or you can figure it out yourself like I did with this fu-bar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alt bars - help with stem-img_4571.jpg  

Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised