alt bars and build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

alt bars and build

I've been going back and forth with the big sweep/alt bars. Most recently I tried the Bontrager Crivitz (flat bar, 25 degree sweep, with wiggle like the Carnegie) but felt a lack of control on the technical stuff, especially downhill, because I couldn't get my elbows out. Even worse, the inside of my arm was chafed from rubbing against my jersey and torso, which hurt like heck for a week. So now I'm back to a 9 degree riser. But I'm intrigued with a more comfortable hand position especially considering that road bikers, who typically log dozens of hours a week, spend most of their time with their hands on the hoods, certainly not equivalent to a flat bar with 9 degrees of sweep.

Most people posting here don't disclose much about their build. I'm 6'2" 200#, fairly broad shoulders. I see some guys riding with alt bars that are much more slender, which would make sense given their arms are pointed out radially from the torso rather than straight forward. Seems to me that a bar with more sweep would work for me only if it were much wider. Thoughts?

one chain loop
    good point. my origin8 space OR2 is wide enough for me. from knuckle to knuckle is around 570mm, approximately an inch wider than my shoulders (5'6", 155#). i don't think it would be comfortable if its anything narrower than 550mm grips.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Gotta pay to play
    I've got Titech J-bars on my full rigid SS 29er. I'm 6 foot and 200 pounds and normally put about 50 miles (8-10 hours) on the bike a week. I love the bars, they work fine for me climbing and descending. I've never tried any other alt bars so I don't have much to compare them to in that sense, but they are way more comfortable than normal bars.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I'm 6'3" and hover around the 205 mark with fairly broad shoulders as well. I've found that the Misfit FU Bar works pretty well for me even when I'm logging 10-15 hours a week in the summer. Interestingly enough, it's about 6 cm shorter than the Crivitz you played with.

I did have to change my stem length quite a bit though. I wound up running a 130 mm stem just to get my hands at the same place as my old 9deg sweep 710 mm Monkeylite. Once I got my hands far enough forward, I haven't run into any issue with rubbing my arms on my sides. I was able to find a suitable stem on Jenson for less than $10.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    I liked the Crivitz for cruising around, but the more technical trails (tight, twisty, log rollers, rock gardens, etc.) were a bummer. Maybe the stem length does have something to do with it.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Part of the reason I went to the alt cars in the first place was that the wide bars were just too wide for the tight twisty stuff between the trees but I wanted to keep the leverage.

I haven't noticed an appreciable difference in the rock gardens with the narrower bars but I usually don't play there. Slow speed stability is not my strong suit anyway. I balance as well as a 1 legged stool.
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.