Almost done...bad news...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Almost done...bad news...

I am almost done with my lurcher build. Had to order a brake adapter for the fork. Saved alot of weight moving from the inbred. Havnt had a chance to ride it as the day before it arrived my doctor dropped the cancer word on me.

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    don't mind the routing of the rear brake cable. That will be sorted once I get the front brake mounted as I want to shorten both cables at the same time.

Running Magura MT4 brakes.

MMS
    mtbr member
    Sweet looking ride.

<<<<<<<<<<+++++>>>>>>>>>>
    Positive vibes on the Cancer.
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks, its sort of a positive as I have been in intense pain for a while. its good to know what is causing it, and how we can focus our attention to battle this.

mtbr member
    Said a prayer

mtbr member
    Sexy build.

mtbr member
    Kick cancer's ass. Nice ride.
    2014 Big Dummy
    2015 Salsa Beargrease Carbon 1
    2015 Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you for the prayer. Its hard as a father of 3 and the only worker in the house. Luckily we caught it very early...

mtbr member
    Dope whip! and more prayers bro!
    Calmer'n you are.

Bike for the heck of it!
    I'm a bladder cancer survivor,...kick cancers ASS!!! I'll be praying for your swift recovery.

Also, sweet ride, I'll be waiting to see pics of you riding it,...
    Meh,...

mtbr member

Re: Almost done...bad news...

Good luck with treatment and recovery, and hurry up and get well so you can get out on that slick setup! Looks tops!
    10 Gary Fisher Cobia - 13 Trek Madone 5.2 - 14 Trek Fuel Ex8

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wishing you as speedy a treatment and recovery as possible......be well! Sweet ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Good luck and all the best for a full recovery man!

mtbr member
    A runner guy I know is going through chemo right now and writes incessantly about it, this may be of some help: Run Fast. Run Vegan. | Vegan Competitive Distance Running

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider

As the husband of a cancer survivor, I say fight as hard s you can. Use that cool bike as a reward to making it one day at a time

mtbr member
    A rule of mountain biking is also a rule i carry over into my daily life. Keep your head up and eyes on the trail ahead. This will help you prepare for anything life has in front of you. Beat the cancer and enjoy the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you all for the prayers. I have known that something is wrong for a while. The last straw was a bike ride a couple weeks ago i couldnt complete 3 miles. I had to lay down and close my eyes on the side of the trail. My body had been in intense pain for some time now, and i attributed that to my broken back from 1999. Turns out all of these symptoms were actually related. The icing on the cake was a decent sized lump on my adams apple. I went to the doctor on monday, and they were very concerned and did some blood tests. Tuesday morning they called me and said I had to come in as soon as possible. By that evening they had sent me to get an ultrasound. During the ultrasound the nurse stopped and said she was going to get the doctor. He came in and completed the ultrasound and said i needed a biopsy. Same day the biopsy was completed. The next morning my fears were confirmed. It was thyroid cancer. It is early and they think they can cut it out. Its hard as a 32 year old to deal with this. I have a wife and 3 beautiful children that depend on me.

May 2009
    Prayer said. You've got too much to live for, not even including the cool bike, to let this slow you down.

Here, diagonally!
    Heavy stuff. My best friend and riding buddy got thyroid cancer about 8 years ago. It was hurthle cell carcinoma which is pretty rare, and according to him it is hard to treat. He had his thyroid removed and had 18 months of radiation treatments IIRC, but he has been 100% cancer free and healthy since then. He has to take a thyroid pill every day, but small price to pay.

Good luck in your fight. Do what you got to do with surgery and treatment, and I hope you get this in your rearview mirror soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

Sharp looking ride, enjoy it!

mtbr member
    I have endured watching the ravaging effects of cancer can have on the body and mind. All I can say is I hope for you the best of luck and the best of care as you and your family go through the days of treatment. Live as much and as best you can every day not in spite of cancer but because of life. Cancer sucks, kick its ass and go ride the heck outta that 2 wheeled smile creator!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Good luck with the Cancer mate. Prayers and good vibes sent your way.

mtbr member
    I was notified on Friday that I, too have cancer. I'm with ya! Good luck and God bless.

banned
    Jun 2007
    Sick looking steed!
    Remember this, despite the size of the obstacle, once the front wheel clears it, you and the rear wheel will follow it to safety.

mtbr member

Prayer said! Wish you a speedy recovery bud! Btw sick bike

Jake

Stokeless Asshat
    They say that if you have to pick one, Thyroid is the cancer to choose. My daughter is a survivor.

Peace and Light.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: Almost done...bad news...

Prayers and best wishes, my father beat cancer twice and has been cancer free since 2000(squamus cell carcinoma, first was throat cancer, a year later it returned in his right lymph nodes) it was a life changer but hes still here and lively as ever....

Good luck with a speedy treatment with many miles ahead

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    It has been a while since I visited this forum. I wanted to update everyone on my health.

After I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer an x-ray technician took an x-ray a little too low and captured an image of my chest. The next morning I received a call from my doctor stating that I had to come in as soon as possible. Later morninrnoon I was in the office with him when he shared with me the news. In the x-ray that caught part of my chest there were a couple large tumors visible. The doctor wanted me to get a full x-ray and scan of my chest that day.

The next day I got the results of the scan. You know its bad when the doctor ( also a riding buddy) starts getting emotional. He started by saying that my thyroid is the least of my worries. He then jumped straight into the discussion of Hodgkin's and non-hodgkins lymphoma, and which one i should hope for.

By the next morning I was on the operating table getting biopsies done on my lymph nodes and my lungs.

The results came back pretty quick and they surprised everyone. They were not cancer. My wife and I celebrated immediately. The doctor stopped us and said that cancer has a better cure rate, and that he wishes it had been non-hodgkins lymphoma.

I have a rare disease that is extremely advanced. Its called sarcoidosis, and I am at what they call "end stage". I have been placed on a lung transplant list, and am doing intensive chemo treatments once a week.

I went again to the doctor because I was getting weird lumps on my arms. Got yet another biopsy and it appears the sarcoid is attacking my blood stream and skin as well.

My right lung no longer functions and I am on an oxygen tank. We are just trying to buy time at this point.

I had the surgery to remove my thyroid a couple months ago, and that went very well, and looks like that won't be an issue any more.

I don't think I will ever be riding again. I wish I could. Prayers are appreciated, mainly for my wife and kids.

I apologize for any spelling issues as I am posting this from my phone.

mtbr member
    My god man, I'm so sorry to read this. I can't imagine what you're going thru, but you have my prayers as does your family. Hang tough bud.
    Calmer'n you are.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldencalf View Post
    My god man, I'm so sorry to read this. I can't imagine what you're going thru, but you have my prayers as does your family. Hang tough bud.
    +1 So sorry to hear but hang tough! You'll be in all of our thoughts and prayers.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am so sorry. I don't know your name or face, but you are my brother as a fellow cyclist. I have a wife and young kids myself. Can't imagine what you and your family are going through. My prayers are with you and your family.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Wow AJ. Sorry to hear. Prayers for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You're in my thoughts AJ, take care man.

mtbr member
    It is heartbreaking to read this. Wishing you and your family the best of luck.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SS
    RM Suzi Q 90 RSL
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    just prayed for you bro.
    hope you get to kick that disease's ass.

mtbr member
    My prayers to you and your family.

The 5th knuckle
    Best of luck man. My family is pulling for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernando Gutierrez
    The only thing you have to figure out is don't fall down. To keep riding the bike.

mtbr member
    Great looking ride!! Prayers sent for the Cancer. I know many survivors, keep positive, you got this!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Wow, hang in there...

Sent from my RM-915_nam_usa_228 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ride it like you stole it!

mtbr member
    I read your post last night and found I didn't know what to say in response. I'm not one for prayer, but in your case I'll make an effort. I don't know what you are going through right now, but I do know how your children might be feeling. My mother passed away a few years ago after her battle with peritoneal cancer and it nearly broke us. There IS light on the other side and there WILL BE laughter even though now it seems impossible to smile. Right now is the time to enjoy each other and to talk about everything you may not get the chance to later. I sincerely hope you can fight and win because every battle won is a hard fought step to win the war against cancer. I hope you are able to find peace with your family about the possibilities of the future. I wish you peace of mind, strength of body and tranquility for the soul. Best wishes for your family and other loved ones.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said by all these other guys, and better than I could say it too.

Life can be such a bastard.....

mtbr member
    Wow, that is a tough read man and I will be hoping for you. I am not a prayer person, I like to help with charitible acts. Looks like I have a connection and another reason to do a Cancer benefit ride. Stay strong and fight, You never know, once you heal you will find a way to ride again, even if its cruising a fatbike down the street to a cafe. Keep us posted!
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Prayers going out for you and your family. I can't even begin to imagine what your are going through. Kick this things ass and go ride with your kids!

mtbr member
    I can't even begin to imagine the struggle you and your family are faced with. All I can say is squeeze them tight and savor the special moments you all shared. You are an inspiration for your courage to come on here and share your story. I just gave my wife a kiss and thanked her for who she is. Thank you for that. I have always been one to appreciate the little things and it sounds like you do as well. Thoughts and prayers for you and your family!!

Bollocks
    Good luck my man... Fight on. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts during these dark days and relishing every moment with my loved ones. Best wishes.
    You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough.

MTB NOLA
    prayers for you and your family as you fight the good fight especially through this holiday season.. God BleSS!!

mtbr member
    I have read your sad story over and over.

Each time I come to the last thread and start to type something, but don't ever finish.

So here it is...

I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through.

I wish you peace...

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    IMHO You are among the bravest people in this world. Fight on brother. I am praying for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You WILL get better. Stop worrying like you won't. You can and will kick cancers a$$. I want to see a ride report on that bike ASAP! Good luck brother, prayers sent your way!

mtbr member
    As a 32 y/o myself with a young family I cannot imagine what you and your family are going through. I am truly choked up about your battle. Us singlespeeders are a stubborn bunch so don't you give up the fight, and keep turning that gear! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    MisFitPsycles DiSSent, ALc - BLINGLESPEED
    Rocky Mountain Altitude
    Surly Ice Cream Truck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Read your story over and over again. Started to type something to express what I feel but could not finish. You are a very strong man who is living through very bad experience. I truly believe you can beat it - just telling us the story takes a lot of will power and I am sure you have more of it inside of you and I am sure your family supports you very strongly as well.
    I really feel for you brother, I wish you to beat it. I am not the one to pray but I'll do it for you and your family.
    And what does not kill us - makes us stronger. Sounds very trivial and I am sure it was said millions of times but does not make it any less true.

All the best.