Almost Crashes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Almost Crashes

Ovaries on the Outside

Almost Crashes

Today I had an inexplicable encounter where I crested a small hill at speed and almost barreled into a pair of bald eagles, which certainly put the fear of G-d into me before they took off through the trees.

Anyone have a similar experience? Bonus points for hitting an animal above forty pounds on the singletrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We have alot of deer where I am. I was going around a fairly sharp corner and the bottom of a downhill when in the middle of the track was a deer. I had to hit the brakes hard and lay down the bike not to hit the thing. I would of gone flying if I had hit it full tilt. Still got a few bruises and cuts from missing the deer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I did an endo once when a squirrel head faked me. He went right and I went left and then he quickly went left again. I swerved again but went off the trail into a divet and over the bars I went. I should have just ran over the thing.

bike tester
    last year i almost hit a deer. this year i switched from organic to metalic brake pads, they grip better, last for ages, but howl like mad after they get hot. haven't met any wildlife in quite some time. with the amount of bears in the woods around here, i consider myself lucky.

mtbr member
    Squirrels are crazy, just yesterday I was on some single track and saw a squirrel coming full charge at me!!! for a split second I thought it was a Mt Lion just really far away, because it was coming at me full speed, I slowed down a bit and inches away it turned off the trail...My heart rate actually got a bit high from a freaking squirrel...:-)

Expert Crasher
    Apr 2009
    Ran over a skunks tail last summer..we were both moving fast enough to avoid the bad smell part. Happy ending was much appreciated.
    If you never crash you are not trying hard enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    A mid size snake (no I didn't have a chance to recognize who he was - was a brown ropie thing, could've been a rattler - lots of them around Denver) showed up a in my far down preferal vision when I was coasting a downhill, and I had no time to react. I had "is that a snake!?" + "sh!t!" + "damn!" + "what the h3ll!" all at once and I think I ran him over. I then flung my legs like crazy making sure he's not on me while I tried to slow down. No sign of snake at that point, and hikers were laughing. Damned snakes...

Kiss my Grits!

Not my time

I had a vulture fly past my face, about four feet away, as I rounded a corner that had a tree at the apex. pretty impressive wingspan and a vote of praise for wearing cycling shorts under my baggies to keep it all in.
    Sometimes, with a very strenuous effort, I will fatigue.

Out spokin'
    A few years ago Glowboy & I did an off-road bike tour in eastern & central Washington State. The first night we drove as far as the Snake River. Went for a late afternoon ride; saw an old abandoned rail line a couple hundred feet up the canyon, decided to hike a bike up to that and see how far we could ride on it.

I nearly stepped on a rattler during the hike a bike up. Heard a hissing sound and thought I'd somehow punctured a tire. As I bent down to see where the air was coming from, I quickly discovered I was sticking my face right into the snake's.

I backed away.

Was more careful where I put my feet after that. Finally got up to the rail line and started riding. Lots of old abandoned tunnels, most pretty short. Coming out of one at a pretty good clip I rolled right over another rattler. I felt kinda bad about it but I was going so fast it didn't seem to bother him much.

Another time I killed a deer with my motorcycle. Managed to save it somehow... I didn't go down but I hit the deer in the neck, snapping it. That was on the road... sorry not a mountain bike story but at least it involved two wheels.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Had a buddy on Dadd Gulch in Fort Collins run over a small chipmunk going uphill no less. The little guy tried to sprint between the wheels. He must have been used to 26''s or maybe he was getting old for that trick.

After we put him out of his misery, I told my friend "you know the mountain will make you pay for that."

Sure enough, he otb'd on the downhill. Super gnarly. I think it was the chipmunk's soul cursing him.

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Ran into a couple last Friday going at it 3 ft from the edge of the trail...

Not what I expected at 5:15pm and it could have made for an interesting threesome if I'd been heading down the hill instead of up it !!

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob

Not what I expected at 5:15pm and it could have made for an interesting threesome if I'd been heading down the hill instead of up it !!
    Pix or it didn't happen.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Threre is one trail that i have ridden at dusk that has tons of bats. They like to fly near you and dart back and forth. There was a group of them flying all around me on a climb and when i started to descend one bombed down near me and flew into my spokes, all of a sudden i feel something in the wheel and a quick noise. Spokes 1....bat zero!!!

Out spokin'

(Not my squirrel, my pic nor my bike.)
    disciplesofdirt.org

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    Pix or it didn't happen.

--Sparty

I wasn't stopping to dig out a camera

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob

On my first read, I was thinking, "A couple of what?"

On the second read, "Oooohhh..."

Good thing they were offtrail so you didn't catch a stick in your spokes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had an owl chase me on some single track in Virginia long ago. The sound of wings flapping right behind my head spooked the hell out of me! It happened during daylight hours too; not something I was expecting.

Single Speed Nation
    This happened a few years ago when I was living in Dundas Ontario.

A buddy and myself were riding side by side down a gravel path on our way to the singletrack.

A squirrel jumps out from my side of the path, sprints in front of my tire while narrowly missing it, then jumps right into my buddy's spinning wheel.

The squirrel gets flung forward and to the side, and lands somewhere in the forest to the side of the path. I have no idea what happened to the squirrel after, or whether it was okay. But it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Haven't hit one yet, but around early Fall, little turtles start popping up ALL over the trail around here. On the downhills its not uncommon to be dodging them every few seconds - as if the rocky descent wasn't challenging enough!

Bicycle Addict
    On my first read, I was thinking, "A couple of what?"
    My thoughts exactly. Uh...a couple of nasty looking water moccasins the literally jumped off the trail when they saw me coming. Scared the life out of me.
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

Members who have read this thread: 0