almoSSt.- Mtbr.com

Thread: almoSSt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

almoSSt.

having, in two days, been forced to disassemble a shifter pod to untangle a rat's nest of a half-cut cable AND fix a broken a cog on a cassette, i was stripping the frame of all the parts to paint it and decided......to not put the shifters back on.
    i pulled off the top chainring (mangled from a cement bench anyways) and replaced the rear derailleur with an old, light road one (suntour vx).
    this is actually a gary fisher marlin, with a new front brake, bottom bracket, seat, brake levers, tires, rear derailleur, pedals, and most importantly, paint job. i left a small chainring and derailleur with short cable a la keith bontrager because i do a lot of climbing.

It's 32x18 or 22x18 and is now my pride and joy. i converted it with a lot of nylon cassette spacers, and i'll let people know if it dies. now if only i had a better fork....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by briwear; 05-03-2004 at 07:57 PM. Reason: photos

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That's a pretty cool looking crankset. nm

That's a pretty cool looking crankset. Nice looking bike too!
    Last edited by Ti Guy; 05-03-2004 at 08:17 PM. Reason: forgot some info

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks, the more i look at the color the more i like it. the crank is definitely cool looking, but you should heft its weight when it's off the bike!!! it's a shimano alivio, solid aluminum and thicker than the hollowtech cranksets.... it doesn't flex much, that's for sure
    i think i dropped about a pound and a half between shifters, cassette, front derailleur, less chain, and different rear derailleur.

USB Rep'n
    I love the color. Question though...are you saying you plan on running a single cog in the back and two chainrings up front? Interesting indeed. One thing you probably realize though, it's not a singlespeed if it's got gears. The whole point is that you can either climb with the one you have or push....do it right man, ditch the derailer and go uno!!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

nice paint

i hear brown is the new pink

self destructive
    well that means that my poo brown kona is now cool? if you decide to run 2 chain rings in the front the chainline will be off unless you move the rear cog and that seems like a pain. also if that does work you may want to shorten your chain it looks like the derauiler would not be able to take up the extra slack in the chain on the smaller chain ring.
    When it rains it pours.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you're killing me now. i refuse to believe brown is the new pink, that's almost entirely why i painted it brown.
    chainline isn't an issue with the derailleur. i realize that it's no singlespeed, but that's why it's almoSSt. my standard ride is a 1500 foot climb, some paved roads some super steep logging road, over 6 miles, so i like a lower gear now and then

Members who have read this thread: 0