Air Travel with bike.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Air Travel with bike.

Any of you guys ever travel on the airlines with your mountain bike? I assume I need to let the air out of my front shock? I went to France a couple years ago with my road bike and all I did is let about half the air out of my tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I don't think so

I've taken my bike on planes before and I've never let air out of the tires.I don't think the shock is any different.

mtbr member

Depends on size of box.

Most airlines have max size requirements for luggage. They also charge an extra $75 each way. I have shipped my bike on the plane before and when I did, I had to let the air out of the shock in order to get it to fit in the right sized box without having to take the fork off of the frame. In a separate box is my wheels with the tires removed, which is small enough to not be charged the extra $. They also require you to sign a release form, which releases them from responsibility should the bike get damaged. Last time I traveled, I shipped the bike via USPS and took the wheels' box on the plane, this worked well because you can insure the bike by sending it priority mail, about 3 days. It was about $65 from the west coast to the east coast plus insurance, which was about $15. No matter now you do it, it is going to cost you! Oh, and those bike crates like Performance has are way too large, the airlines won't take them.

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

Brakes?

Shipping is best.

I've done both.

Shipping is far better 'cause you don't have to drag that big-ass box through the airport, and you save a ton of money since shipping is usually less than $35. (StLouis to Rocky Mtns)

Disadvantage of shipping, is that you have to go a few days without your rig. Allow 7+ days each way. Probably won't take that long, but you'd be hatin' life if you showed up and your bike didn't.

If you're an IMBA member, try their travel service for your tickets and your bike flies free.

mtbr member

Performance Case....

ships on Delta just fine. I've done it at least 5 times now. Use to cost $50 each way if the person at the desk was jerky, many times they let me ship it free. I believe its $100 each way now. Still cheaper than renting if your staying long enough.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Billy
    Most airlines have max size requirements for luggage. They also charge an extra $75 each way. I have shipped my bike on the plane before and when I did, I had to let the air out of the shock in order to get it to fit in the right sized box without having to take the fork off of the frame. In a separate box is my wheels with the tires removed, which is small enough to not be charged the extra $. They also require you to sign a release form, which releases them from responsibility should the bike get damaged. Last time I traveled, I shipped the bike via USPS and took the wheels' box on the plane, this worked well because you can insure the bike by sending it priority mail, about 3 days. It was about $65 from the west coast to the east coast plus insurance, which was about $15. No matter now you do it, it is going to cost you! Oh, and those bike crates like Performance has are way too large, the airlines won't take them.

Less yappin, more Brappin

baggage hold pressurized

there should be no need to depressurize your shock. letting air out of the tires will allow you to use a smaller box. baggage holds are pressurized, they keep animals down there. call the airline to make sure(if youre flying some ghetto airline they might not pressurize even the cabin) the aircraft is usually pressurized to 6000-8000 feet, meaning its the same ambient air pressure you would feel if your standing on a mountain at 6000 feet.

ship the bike over the continent via ups or fed ex, on international flights, sometimes i have seen that it is free. check it out.

geoffss

Quote Originally Posted by vcyclist
    Any of you guys ever travel on the airlines with your mountain bike? I assume I need to let the air out of my front shock? I went to France a couple years ago with my road bike and all I did is let about half the air out of my tires.