Ahhh, Love Is In The Air.....- Mtbr.com
    You Are What You Is

Ahhh, Love Is In The Air.....

I finally finished my Chameleon build and was able to take it for it's maiden ride today. Let me tell you right from the start - I'm a devout granny-gear-spinning-seated type of climber so this singlespeed thing kind of woke me up. I'm running a 32x22 gear and even so, I thought I'd be walking most of the hills today. To my surprise, I was cleaning some pretty steep [email protected] I definitely walked some, but the ones that I cleaned were very confidence instilling. I better give it a few more rides before I claim total addiction, but man I'm lovin' it so far. I got a better workout on a 5 mile ss ride than most 10 or 15 mile gearie rides. My thumbs didn't know what to do. They kept reaching for a downshift where there was none.
    And climbing hills with zero ghost shifting? Unbelievable. I'm stoked!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

nice job!

looks like you're a great stripper! seriously, the frame looks excellent.

where did you ride at 32:22?

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    looks like you're a great stripper! seriously, the frame looks excellent.

where did you ride at 32:22?
    I actually just rode the horse trails around my house which are pretty good for a quick ride straight from the house. I'm in the Anaheim Hills area, so it's pretty steep in spots. I also ride Weir, Santiago Oaks and Chino a lot since they're close.

-> SickLines.com <-
    do you have problems with mud packing in that rear triangle?

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    do you have problems with mud packing in that rear triangle?
    I definitely have some clearance issues with that rear tire. I've got new lower profile tires coming, so hopefully that will give me a little breathing room back there. Besides, I only see mud a couple of times a year here in SoCal.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! ah, the tres beyotches!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    I also ride Santiago Oaks.
    32:22 is about perfect for that, i'd guess! my fork is supposed to be delivered today (sitting at fedex in anaheim, so that and brake cables and my leezard will be ready to ride by this weekend. i'm pretty fired up.

You Are What You Is

Hey EssQ

Where do you ride usually? We should get together for a ss ride after I've logged a few more hours on the ss. I need to get stronger first. And post some pics of your Chameleon once it's built.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I ride 32x22 on my 29er. That allows me to clean all 3 B's at Santiago Oaks and 99% of everywhere else. 32x20 on the 26er though.... Or else I feel too spinny....

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Cool-blue Rhythm hey phunk!

Where do you ride usually? We should get together for a ss ride after I've logged a few more hours on the ss. I need to get stronger first. And post some pics of your Chameleon once it's built.
    i almost always ride aliso wood, laguna coast wilderness and el morro, since they are within easy riding distance of my house, and being on the coast, these spots are usually 10 degrees cooler than rides on the other side of the 5. i've been itching to go ride HJT to Trabuco before it gets too hot (too late?). i also dig san juan & chiquito.

i'll be riding the new bike somewhere this weekend. i haven't been riding a ton lately, so don't feel like you wouldn't be able to keep up; more likely it'd be the other way around! if you want to ride somewhere, let me know.

chris

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    I ride 32x22 on my 29er. That allows me to clean all 3 B's at Santiago Oaks and 99% of everywhere else. 32x20 on the 26er though.... Or else I feel too spinny....
    I agree that the 32x22 is too spinny on the flats and such, but I NEED it for the hills around here. I barely clean the 3 B's in a granny gear so that should tell you where my fitness level and strength are. You did the VQ didn't you Padre? Did you do it SS? That's quite an accomplishment no matter what bike you use, but on an ss - that's SICK!

USB Rep'n

PFunk and eSSq, you suck!!!

I want my Chameleon so bad it makes me cry like a little girl who just got her doll's head torn off by a Rott! OK, maybe not quite that bad but I really, really, really want it here now!

Glad to hear you are enjoying (or about to be enjoying) yours!!!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! we do suck.

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I want my Chameleon so bad it makes me cry like a little girl who just got her doll's head torn off by a Rott! OK, maybe not quite that bad but I really, really, really want it here now!

because not only do we have new bikes (mostly), it is 84 degrees here right now. fortunately, it will be cooling off to the low 70's for the remainder of the week.

i am listening to namaste by the beastie boys on their instrumental cd "the IN sound from WAY OUT." it's an old import disc. yummy.

You Are What You Is

Nice analogy

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte

How much longer namaSSte? Let me just tell you, from my intial rides, this bike is SOLID!
    I weigh 215 so I worry about stuff like that. But this bike seems stiff and very responsive. It could also be that it's been 3 years since I've ridden a hardtail. But so far, so good. The geometry is pretty good, just a tad short in the top tube but I'll remedy that with a setback Thomson and roll my riser bars forward a little. I'd like to test it out on some dirt jumps and see how it responds. Some very small jumps, mind you. You're gonna be stoked when your Chameleon finally arrives.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I agree that the 32x22 is too spinny on the flats and such, but I NEED it for the hills around here. I barely clean the 3 B's in a granny gear so that should tell you where my fitness level and strength are. You did the VQ didn't you Padre? Did you do it SS? That's quite an accomplishment no matter what bike you use, but on an ss - that's SICK!
    Yeah..i did it very sloooooowly on the SS 29er. 32x22 feels too spinny on the ups, not just the flats...I feel like I'm not getting the momentum I need. Then, on places like the 3rd B...where it's super loose...that super tall gear just wants to slip. Whatever works man! That is awesome. I'll keep my eye out for the naked Chameleon. You keep your eye out for the gigantic grey Vulture of doom.

You Are What You Is
    because not only do we have new bikes (mostly), it is 84 degrees here right now. fortunately, it will be cooling off to the low 70's for the remainder of the week.

i am listening to namaste by the beastie boys on their instrumental cd "the IN sound from WAY OUT." it's an old import disc. yummy.
    Oh man, I dig that Beastie's disc. I lost it years ago, but now that you reminded me I'll have to go buy it again. Very cool.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

i'll burn you a copy.

Oh man, I dig that Beastie's disc. I lost it years ago, but now that you reminded me I'll have to go buy it again. Very cool.
    it's no trouble, as i borrowed it from our file clerk and i'll be burning one for myself. i'll just make 2.

You Are What You Is

Cool. Thanks eSSq.

it's no trouble, as i borrowed it from our file clerk and i'll be burning one for myself. i'll just make 2.
    We'll definitely have to set up a ride now so I can claim that CD. Maybe after I get back from my Monterey trip (April 9-12).