ahh, new headset.........- Mtbr.com
    The perfessor

ahh, new headset.........

ordered a new CC 110 headset for my 29er SS rigid.......with a CF fork, I felt I needed a bit more protection than the crap on there now........will post pix when its here and installed.....
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

Bro Mountainbiker
    You are the man! Im waiting on QBP to restock the red 110s! I need a new headset so bad!

What color did you go with?
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Best headset....ever!

The perfessor
    Cane Creek has an outlet store - they only had blue but that was good enough for me.........said they may have some other colors later but I wasn't waiting - it won't match my dark green very well, but its the ride that matters more than the color.........
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good headset, I have two of them, one on my FS, and one on my SS, as well as a King Gripset on my geared HT. With the addition of the Gripset, I tend to go for the Kings these days.

Both are great headsets!
    Last edited by S:Drive; 10-31-2011 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I use a combination of the 110 and King headsets myself. I really like the 110 and how well designed it is. The one thing I don't like about it is the interlocking headset spacers, and you're required to use even one; it's just an extra part that's unneeded. The 110 is definitely gentler on your steerer tube, and I feel the quality is just as good as King's, though I still love King's bearings.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    I use a combination of the 110 and King headsets myself. I really like the 110 and how well designed it is. The one thing I don't like about it is the interlocking headset spacers, and you're required to use even one; it's just an extra part that's unneeded. The 110 is definitely gentler on your steerer tube, and I feel the quality is just as good as King's, though I still love King's bearings.
    Have you seen the Chris King Griplock...Dia-Compe's patent ran out, King now uses the Aheadset system so no more fork steerer issues. You can even retro older King headsets.

Not taking anything away from the CC 110, it is an awesome headset

Never trust a fart
    You can't go wrong with either the King w/Griploc or the CC 110 series. Both are outstanding headsets. I usually go for the CK stuff, since I can get it cheaper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Have you seen the Chris King Griplock...Dia-Compe's patent ran out, King now uses the Aheadset system so no more fork steerer issues. You can even retro older King headsets.

Not taking anything away from the CC 110, it is an awesome headset
    Dude! I've been waiting for that thing for ages! I've even been regularly checking their website for it, but it looks like it's still not on there. Weird.

Someone directly from King told me they've license the threadless headset from Dia-Compe from the beginning and always had rights to use the slit ring, but decided not to. In my opinion it was the advent of long travel single crown forks which eventually forked King to make a headset utilizing a split ring.

mtbr member
    Dude! I've been waiting for that thing for ages! I've even been regularly checking their website for it, but it looks like it's still not on there. Weird.
    Order the conversion kits here...

Pull down menus offer you the choice of Griplock or Traditional

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    FYI,
    110 was redesigned, so you do not have to use the interlock spacers.

With the addition of the Griplock, and the redesign of the CC 110, they only reason I choose one over the other, is if I want a taller or shorter stack heigh, or build color.

Both headsets are on par in my book.

The perfessor
    alrighty, its in........LBS said they'll remove the old race for me and my bro has the tools to put the new headset on......definitely an upgrade over the crap on there now............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ahh, new headset.........-dsc03699.jpg  

Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL

mtbr member
    Dang I saw that Chris King upgrade and thought I need that! then I started to count and figured I would have to buy six of those things - that's right I got six Chris King headsets sitting in the garage never counted till right now.

mtbr member
    What difference does a nice headset actually make...?

Bro Mountainbiker
    Thats a sexy piece of equipment. I have to say the Kings are a bit blingier but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    When I built up my Jabberwocky 3.5 years ago, I used a CC 110 headset. While there is no doubt that part of the cost is in the fit and finish, I have not touched it since the day I installed it and it's as smooth as ever. I consider it functional bling.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndog45 View Post
    Ride a rigid SS with a 203mm front brake rotor and you'll find out why. I currently have a non Grip lock Chris King headset that pisses me off on every ride...now I gotta spend another $29 on a conversion kit + shipping for it to work properly. I won't buy another one after this experience. CK can pack sand. I've had $30 non sealed bearing headsets work better than this one. Looks do not matter, unless you want a blingy paperweight.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater View Post
    Order the conversion kits here...

Pull down menus offer you the choice of Griplock or Traditional
    You shouldn't have to convert a product to work in this price range...just my opinion.
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.