Affordable SS 29er Disk Wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Affordable SS 29er Disk Wheels?

I'm looking for suggestions.

I was thinking of building up the Salsa Delgado rims. What hubs would you recommend?

I'm open to alternatives, either pre-built or hand-built.

I'd like to keep the complete wheelset in the $300 - $400 range.

In case it matters, these are going on a Salsa El Mariachi.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    Pricepoint had wheelsets in that range, they weren't SS specific, but that hardly matters. If you use the WTB hubs you have to yse a wide base cog or it will ruin the freewheel body. The had XTs too and those are cool with skinny cogs.

The Delgado disc Rimis nice! XT hubs can be had for cheep just about everywhere. Then get Webcyclery to calc and cut you some spokes.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    look on ebay for some used bontrager ss wheelsets people have taken off their Rigs...almost always under 300.
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    look on ebay for some used bontrager ss wheelsets people have taken off their Rigs...almost always under 300.
    Hey don't give away my secrets....(says the guy possibly looking at a set)
    Funny, some go real cheap, and other guys want astronomical prices for their old wheels. I'ver seen them all across the board.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I went through this last winter and decided on Velocity VXC rims laced to a Hope XC front and a Surly disk rear. I built them myself, so the end cost was somewhere near $250....pretty dang cheap for a wheelset that comes in around 2000g.

I've been riding them non-stop and haven't had to true them yet. Delgados are nice, though. You won't regret the extra width.
    All the Dude ever wanted was his rug back.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by mcd
    ditto that. i upgraded the rear wheel and was going to sell the stock one, but it doesnt get 100 a set on ebay so i will just keep it as backup. i kept the front. they are actually very good wheels. i just wanted faster engagement on the rear and the option of running gears.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    Pricepoint had wheelsets in that range, they weren't SS specific, but that hardly matters.
    i would have to say single speed specific matters with the wider flange with which will make your wheel stronger, since 29er wheels are known the be less strong as it is, so having an unnecessarly small flange with to make your wheel less stable, i would stick to a single speed specific hub if you are going to make your 29er single speed, but thats just my opinion

Members who have read this thread: 0