Affordable, Bomb Proof Frameset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Affordable, Bomb Proof Frameset?

I have a second bike that's set up as a 29er fixed gear, and recently I cracked the frame. There seems to be a general consensus with the fixie mtb crowd, and that is that frames cracking in the rear seat stay area is fairly common. It was described to me that the constant torquing and pop skidding tweaks the rear end around enough that a lot of steel frames fail.

So long story short I am currently on an On One Inbred, and I am completely done with On Ones customer service. The frame only lasted me about 8 months before it cracked, and the people I have been dealing there are less than helpful. They have pissed me off to the point that I don't even care to get a warranty replacement from them.

So now I am looking for a frameset, something affordable as this is a second bike (like, 500-600 range). Steel, bombproof but still with a decent ride quality, and it needs to have standard QR dropouts. 29er, but I am open to plus frames that will squeeze a 29er, or any other odd ball frames you can think of.

I am all ears!

mtbr member

WillWorkForTrail
    ^^ That. In there you'll find a lot of options. But for $500-600? My money would be on the Soma Juice, every time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I think the general consensus is terribly flawed too. Honestly, a fixie is putting more work into the rear triangle than disc brakes? Um, not likely.

Related to your question, bomb proof for you and bomb proof for me are two totally different things. With that said, I'd look towards the bikes that are marketed as long travel hard tails, or all mountain hardtails. Think ROS 9, Honzo, or Nimble9. Probably a touch more money than you want to spend though.

Also, why not have a welder fix your frame? Steel is easy to re-weld, and a frame specific welder could even beef up your current frame for less than a new frame would set you back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    kona unit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    ...There seems to be a general consensus with the fixie mtb crowd, and that is that frames cracking in the rear seat stay area is fairly common...
    Are you talking to the hipsters or the guys who have been riding fixed for decades?

Because basically it sounds to me that it's simply a function of buying crap bikes. A lot of the SS/fixed wheel bikes I see advertised are sold more on style than structural integrity.

When I was young* most of the offroad riders were on fixed wheel dropbar bikes. Bikes got bent in crashes etc, but I don't ever remember hearing of one cracking.

That's probably because a properly made lugged steel bike isn't going to have the localised built in stresses of a cheaply made welded steel bike (a properly welded bike is fine).

I'd suggest you look at Surly. My 1x1 is 18 years old and I don't know anyone who has managed to break one. If you're in the UK take a look at Genesis Genesis Bikes or Singular Home - Singular Cycles.

I would sooner buy a good second hand steel frame than what you could get new for the same price.

*That's a very long time ago.
    Last edited by Velobike; 12-25-2016 at 01:33 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    The new pace rc127+ seems like a sweet SS bike. 27.5+ or 29er wheels, boost, single speed dropouts, Reynolds 853 steel and slack if that's your thing.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I'd stay away from soma juice, I had the exact same experience that you had with ON One....frame broke after 3 months and the company outsources their customer service so it was complete trash. Soma is just trying to capitalize on the hipster trend....Oh and my experience was with the newest version of the soma juice, not the first generation that was also very prone to frame failure

id second that you look at the the all mountain hardtails like, ROS 9, Honzo, or Nimble9. oh and cant forget he Karate Monkey is also a safe bet and they just realised a new version with updated geometry and it can fit 27+ tires

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    All frames can crack. I weigh 160 and ride SS and don't catch air. I broke a brand new Surly KM. It was near the weld on the downtube and likely due to overheating the weld. Surly customer service took care of it but it cost me money which I didn't appreciate.

Customer service is probably the biggest difference. I've been riding an Inbred for some time now without a problem. If it breaks, I'll just buy a new frame given how little they cost. My Surly cost me $100 since the shop charged me for diassembly and shipping. A new On-One is roughly $160.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hsakkire View Post
    All frames can crack. I weigh 160 and ride SS and don't catch air. I broke a brand new Surly KM. It was near the weld on the downtube and likely due to overheating the weld. Surly customer service took care of it but it cost me money which I didn't appreciate.

Customer service is probably the biggest difference. I've been riding an Inbred for some time now without a problem. If it breaks, I'll just buy a new frame given how little they cost. My Surly cost me $100 since the shop charged me for diassembly and shipping. A new On-One is roughly $160.

Best of luck.
    Yea, I am not saying the Inbred is a bad frame. It actually rides really well for what they cost. My issue is with the company, not the frame. Their customer service is absolutely awful.