Advise needed on replacement crank length...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Advise needed on replacement crank length...

I want to replace the my current crankset with a different setup. I have a raceface evolve 32T but it creaks no matter what I do. I like the Raceface Evolve SS set up but fear I'm going down the same road.?? Second question is I'm 5'8 with a 30 inch inseam and 175 pounds what would 170 mm crank arms do for me. Here in North GA we climb alot of the time and wonder if a shorter crank length would be better.......Thanks guys. Oh I just add the Stans ZTR 650b's and totally love them. I

AZ
    banned
    IMHO for climbing longer crankarms give you an advantage .

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    are you sure it's the crank? could be the frame or something else. A cracked frame sounds alot like a bottom bracket creak. But as far as cranks go, i really like the Shimano xt and xtr cranks with the external bearings. You can always go the white industries route, but they are a bit more expensive when you factor in a decent BB and all that jazz.
    Also, i'd still say longer is better of your climbing alot. more leverage can only help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I've ridden both 170mm and 175mm cranks on my SS. I just started a post about getting some new 175mm cranks...

Anyway, I like to spin fast and the shorter cranks feel good doing that. If you have a lot of short steep climbs and you like to spin fast, then I'd say the 170mm are a good choice. If you have more long grinding climbs then 175mm is probably better. Hopefully that helps, and hopefully other will also give you their advice too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yup, if you're a spinner, shorter cranks are preferable. But you'll be "giving up" the 'slight' torque advantage of longer arms.

I'd always used 175's on my 26ers & I'm 5'9.5" :-) with an ~33" inseam but when I converted to a 29er (& SS -- not for long!) last month I switched to 180's. Honestly, really can't tell if there's a difference but then I've been off bikes for ~3 years. So far though, I think I'll stick with them. Even though my preference is spinning as well. Gone as high 133rpm on-road so far but my normal (preferred) cadence is ~80-90rpm. FWIW.

Good luck in your selection.

Members who have read this thread: 0