Advice on rigid riding- Mtbr.com
    Single and loving it

Advice on rigid riding

Ok, I have a race in two weeks at a place that is known to be very rocky, hilly and technical. I pre rode the course last week on my rigid Vicious (33x18) and felt pretty damn good afterwards. Race is 18 miles, riding in the Vet 35-39 Sport class against the gearies. Running carbon bars, Oury grips, Vicious front fork, tubeless wheelset, 2.3 Hutchinsons at 33lbs.

I don't have delusions of winning but can any of you guys who have ridden what is considered "very technical" terrain see a flaw in my setup?

TIA

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If I was racing, then maintaining speed would be an important issue, I'd run a Reba. Otherwise if you felt good then go with what you like. Have you tried ergo grips? They really ease hand pain, provide a great platform for hard riding. Yeah, I'd run a Reba, way faster in tech stuff. Full rigid is better for slow tech, too much resistance to forward motion at high speeds.
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Keep your set up, but I guess I would go about 5lbs less air in the tires-they are pretty high volume and even in the rocks you should be fine. Lift up on the bars as much as you can to carry momentum over the rocks and roots. Go hard on the hills and recover on the flats. Good luck, hopefully you'll have a bunch of dudes shaking their heads cuz' they got crushed by a singlespeed!!

ChampagneTaste-BeerMoney
    Feb 2004
    Hey Soulrider are you talking about French Creek? If so how was the course on the rigid? I was thinking about doing the same thing in the age group just below you.

Single and loving it
    Hey Soulrider are you talking about French Creek? If so how was the course on the rigid? I was thinking about doing the same thing in the age group just below you.
    Yes, French Creek. As expected, it was dicy in some spots (ie: rocky azz downhills) but great on the climbs. I did get some arm and leg pump after one particularly mean downhill (at the top of the camp climb) but that would be my only complaint. I only saw one other guy out there on a SS last Sunday...then the torrents of rain came.

It can be done for sure.

mtbr member
    I don't like changing anything major right before a race.

I would not mess with air pressure at all, unless you can get another ride on the course before the race. If you're running 33psi and not getting pinch flats I'd stick with that.

I might consider a bigger front tire if (and only if) you can find the same tread pattern. I always found a 2.5" front tire to be fast on rough terrain, despite the weight.

Harrumph
    Step one, enjoy that everyone thinks you are at a disadvantage

Step two, enjoy that you are not losing energy while climbing, steering and braking precisely, and weighing a few pounds less.

Step three, don't be a wuss about your arms being a touch sore...you are doing something athletic...it hurts.

If you can't tell I'm partial to Rigid forks, the "efficiency" advantage of a suspension fork is negated by flex and weight IMO. Suspension is good for comfort, but unless you are DH'n it is not an advantage. I use a fork for really long or rough races, but that is for comfort not speed. This is all especially true for a SS where you are going to be standing and mashing. The few tenths you'd gain on a rough down hill with a suspension fork are not worth the bobbing/extra weight on that long climb.

My opinion, others will swear differently.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Members who have read this thread: 0