Advice from Frog owners please.- Mtbr.com
    nothing to see here

Advice from Frog owners please.

Speedplay Frogs that is, not the green rribbit type.

I just got myself a pair of these to replace my Eggbeaters. I was sick and tired of pulling out when putting some effort in. I liked everything about the Eggbeaters, except for these unwanted clipouts, one broken spring, worn soles (which I eventually solved with the sole protectors) and cleats which wear prematurely (3 sets this year).

After mounting the new cleats and pedals, I noticed straight away the lack of inward float, even with the cleat angled correctly. I knew this might have been an issue before I purchased the pedals, so I'm looking for assistance. No inward float is no good for my knees.

Who has modified or completely removed the plastic inward float stop to reduce/eliminate this? What were the results? Can it be totally removed without exposing the interior of the pedal? Do you have photos of the modified pedals?

Cheers,
    Steve
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

master blaster
    correct. there is no inward float. i do not suggest removing the float stop. i wouldnt give up completly on speedplay though as they have a non plastic mtb pedal due for 2011. in the mean time sell me your frogs as mine are cracked and i need to send them out for warrenty yet theyre my only pair.

nothing to see here
    hehehe

too late...already removed the stops. much betterer now.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob
    hehehe

too late...already removed the stops. much betterer now.
    and there goes your warrenty on plastic pedals

i love my frogs as they save my knees. but mine cracked within a couple months.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    and there goes your warrenty on plastic pedals

i love my frogs as they save my knees. but mine cracked within a couple months.
    I was well aware of the warranty issue before I modded them thanks. With my current large-ish Q factor, I'd rather have good knees than a piece of paper. I wasn't going to be able to ride them unless I modded them.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Dirty South Underdog
    If you had unintentional clipouts with eggbeaters... well, good luck with the frogs. I had a pair on my first CX bike, clipped one on a root, and it would never hold securely after that. I'd hate to see what would happen on a normal mountain bike ride.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    correct. there is no inward float. i do not suggest removing the float stop. i wouldnt give up completly on speedplay though as they have a non plastic mtb pedal due for 2011. in the mean time sell me your frogs as mine are cracked and i need to send them out for warrenty yet theyre my only pair.
    i suggest you give up on them so i dont have to hear you complain about your crappy pedals on the ride.
    Kurt finally ditched them after talking to a speedplay exec at the bike show. Apparently even with the new pedal coming out, it will do nothing for all the accidental unclipping issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    After mounting the new cleats and pedals, I noticed straight away the lack of inward float, even with the cleat angled correctly.
    There should be a way to angle the cleats to give yourself a small amount of inward float. I'd try that first before modifying the pedal.

The other thing that happened early on when I tried out the Frogs is that I was getting a lot of accidental / unintended unclipping. I thought at first that I didn't have the cleat adjustment correct - there's a small set screw on the cleat. But it turned out that the soles of the shoes on which I was using them had a soft or perhaps recessed spot just under the cleat. Placing a small shim cut from a plastic margarine lid under the elastomer fixed that problem.

I've since switched back to Time Zs. I like being able to ride unclipped on occasion. That's something that's very easy to do with the Time Z, and next to impossible to do with the Frogs.
    Last edited by KevinB; 07-15-2010 at 01:07 PM.

mtbr member
    In case the issue comes up for someone else, and you find this thread via a responsible search , I'll echo the suggestion that you rotate your cleat a little. Even "stock" the Frog DOES provide inward float from the middle, just not as much as you've got to kick out with in the other direction. If you rotate your cleat(s) a little, you can set it up for more inward float (and a correspondingly greater kickout angle on the outward float side.

I've pedal-struck, mashed and enjoyed my three sets of composite Frogs ranging in age from 2-16 years old without need for anything but an occasional lube and bearing replacement on the oldest set. Cleats have broken but not pedal bodies. Great stuff for knees and I ceased getting unscheduled kickouts after I stopped flailing my legs around like a rider in a seizure.

Low Rep Count
    My knees don't bother me and I have been on the same pair of frogs for over 6 years now! Love them. Ride Speed Plays on my road bike as well. Well, I used to but don't have a road bike any more. Still got the pedals though!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've also been using 2 sets of Frogs for over 4 years and longer (one set was completely rebuilt - which costs almost as much as a new set).

I still like them. I also agree that I just angle the cleats so that I have inward rotation as well. I can still turn my heels inward against the stops though... because I didn't file them off! ;-)

mtbr member
    I gave them up 10 years ago. SPD all the way. Bomb proof. This from an Internet celebrity.

nothing to see here
    Sorry gentlemen. I tried rotating the cleat. Still not enough inward float. My knees hurt after only riding around the back yard in them. SPD's never did it for me.

I'll persist for a little while, and if no good, I'll return to Eggbeaters.

Side question. What's the float like on the Times?

ps. Going for a very technical ride now. Will report back in about 3-4 hours.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

master blaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ISuckAtRiding
    Apparently even with the new pedal coming out.
    i will be riding these soon. hopefully really soon.

Stokeless Asshat
    Lots of float with Times. Lots of models to choose from. Bomb proof, simple, great mud clearing design. Why go anywhere else for pedals?
    J
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Side question. What's the float like on the Times?
    Time's web site says +/- 5 degrees. You actually have a bit more than that, but will likely encounter some spring resistance once you exceed 5 degrees. You definitely do not release after a mere 5 degrees.

Over the four months or so that I tried Frogs, the free float, or riding on ice cubes feeling is something that I never totally got used to. With Times, it is easy to reposition your foot angle, but once you set it, the retaining mechanism helps to hold your foot in place so that you're not constantly swinging your heel back and forth.

I've never ridden eggbeaters, but the retaining mechanism is similar (to that of Time), so I would suspect that the float would be similar too.
    Last edited by KevinB; 07-16-2010 at 09:07 AM.

Low Rep Count
    Love pedaling on ice feeling. The free float is the exact reason I got Speedplays to start with. I got them on my road bike first and naturally put a set on my mtb. Love them. I always struggled with getting in standard road pedals (single sided) and the same went for when I was riding spd's. For me they work great but everyone is different. Definitely find something that works for you bro!

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    I gave them up 10 years ago. SPD all the way. Bomb proof. This from an Internet celebrity.
    +1 on that.
    I've been on the same (cheap) pair for quite a while, and they just need to occasional squirt of lube to function perfectly. I still have the same cleats too. I hate float so they work for me.
    Tried time, wont ride egg beaters or speedplay. Too many breakage issues, especially with the egg beater's spindles. I dont remember what it was about the times i didnt like, but i ebayed them for another set of spd's back in the day. I think it was the float that bothered me.

nothing to see here
    So it seems that obviously some like float, and some don't. My cranks set my pedals too far outboard (don't know measurement) and when standing to grind, I need to swing my feet inwards as I sway the bike from side to side, so it's float or nothing for me.

Having said that...

First impressions on the Frogs. Unclipping is no issue at all. Clipping in however, seems to be a little more difficult than the eggbeaters due to the fact that the pedal hits the front of the cleat, before entering the "cleat race" as it were. The trail was damp/muddy where I rode yesterday, and this seemed to affect the ease at which I could clip in. I'll admit it was frustrating having to try a new clip in method. Rotating the heel as you tried to lock in seemed to help. A couple of times on the left pedal there was no click noise to let me know I was in. I did have some unwanted unclip moments, but this was probably due to the fact that I thought I was clipped in when I wasn't. I also noticed that the Frog system raised my feet by a few mm compared to the Eggbeaters.

It may take a few more rides to "learn" how best to clip in properly. The ice block feeling wasn't a problem for me. My removal of the inner float stop was of no concern. I can't imagine why Speedplay designed it like it was. Once in properly, putting the torque down on some steep hills was fine, as was bunny-hopping over logs. I'll also remove the cleats and mount my crank bros shoe shields underneath them, to see if that has any effect. A can of dry teflon spray is on the list as well.

I'll continue to provide honest feedback.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

master blaster
    So it seems that obviously some like float, and some don't.
    ive never really cared about float. i get used to whatever within a few rides. but my knees would burn after short periods of time without float and i havent had any issues with my knees since switching to frogs. with that said i dont mind the quality/lifetime of the pedals, as long as i can turn that 1hr ride into a 8hr ride and not have to worry about my knees exploding.

(ive tried spd's and crankbrothers pedals btw)

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    A couple of times on the left pedal there was no click noise to let me know I was in. I did have some unwanted unclip moments, but this was probably due to the fact that I thought I was clipped in when I wasn't.

I'll also remove the cleats and mount my crank bros shoe shields underneath them, to see if that has any effect.
    Not sure what those shields look like, but they may well help.

If not, try placing a thin shim beneath the cleat's elastomer. It should be cut the same size as the elastomer. When I did it, I used a piece of plastic cut from a margarine tub lid. Once the shim was in place, I got a more noticeable click when clipping in and never had a problem with unwanted clip-outs.

Stokeless Asshat
    On float. Another thing that works for me is that Time also has lateral float built into all their pedals. I'll get upwards of 1cm of side to side play out of my older Attacks which again works well for my biomechanics. Oh yeah, and the inside release feature and the fact that their French and.............
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

?
    Dec 2010
    well i have the old speedplay pedals "magnums" on both my bikes and i love that pedal i started using in about 1995 and then they switched to the frogs and people were rebuilding their magnums to turn them into frogs and so i got a bunch of extra cleats from the shop (which allowed me to keep using them for so long also went long period without bikes) but i've been worried about having to get new pedals and i'm hoping that the frogs with the plastic block filed off would work just like the magnums (they basically are the frogs without the inside block clip thing though it's a little different in size it seems like the circle and the metal wing things and cleats and stuff the frogs it looks like the whole attachment mechanism is a little smaller) i have bad knees so i don't think i could ride without these pedals also for me it does take a little getting used to (or it did originally but then it becomes subconscious the movements and that's what i'm used to) also i would want to be able to come out of the pedals in both directions in the event of a crash (so hopefully that worked i guess i will try getting the frog pedals and filing off the plastic blocks)

i was maybe worried that the float would be less with the frogs before coming out of the pedals than with the magnums but i'm not sure how to find that out or maybe if there are accidental clipping out when pedaling from rotating and is the float even like how far you rotate inward verses rotating outward before clipping out

also if i got the name wrong "magnums" sorry it's been a while gotta go this place is closing

mtbr member
    I've been riding the same 2 pair of frogs for 15 years. I adjust the cleats so that with the crank horizontal the shoe moves as far inward as possible without actually rubbing the crank. Once you get used to the frogs nothing else will do for XC.

miwuksurfer
    I only ride ******** pedals. I've had the same pair for exactly 6 decades. Anybody who doesn't ride ******** pedals obviously don't know what they are talking about. I've ridden every single pedal ever made. They all suck except for ******* pedals. Don't tell my sponsor, because they make some of the other pedals. Anyways, if you aren't using ******* pedals, you probably are really just a roadie who owns a mountain bike but doesn't really ride it in the dirt.

nothing to see here
    ^ *******
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Use them on my road bike. Tried them on the MTB and thought they pretty much sucked. The engagement isn't postitive enough for my liking and they are too easy to come out of on rougher terrain. Shimano all the way for me!

Members who have read this thread: 0