advice on a few frame choices- Mtbr.com
    zeebot

advice on a few frame choices

The surly lived a short but healthy life and shall be going for sale once i decide on a new frame. a few reasons why: size and wheel slippage with discs.

I'm debating between the following frames:

Kona Unit, Kona A w/ remote lockout, and the on-one with ebb. prices range from the kona unit around 400, kona a at 549 and the on-one is about 490 i think.

not sure on the full suspension single speed. with remote lockout it seems like it would be a great ride but i know of noone that has even ridden it on a trail. unit i know is solid but i dont know much about the on-one either.

right now i'm leaning towards the A because i think it would be very nice for my endurance races and with the remote lockout bob shouldnt be a problem.

after that, i'm torn between the unit and inbred. both seem like solid rides but i like the fact the on-one will be cleaner being disc only and i wouldn't have to fiddle with the slides in the rear and disc alignment.

opinions???

"Mr. Britannica"

get the A

because somebody must be first.

Between the Unit and On-One, they have pretty different geometries, so I would think fit should be the deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

speaking of units and geometries...

Quote Originally Posted by roadiegonebad
    because somebody must be first.

Between the Unit and On-One, they have pretty different geometries, so I would think fit should be the deciding factor.
    Any idea on where one can find the geometry and measurements on the Kona Unit? There is nothing on the kona website (or at least it's not obvious to me).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

An opinion

The On-one has either a ebb or track dropout like your Surly(may repeat brake issues), but the sliding dropouts on the Unit look really sweet. The Unit is a higher grade lighter steel too. That would be my choice. I just can't bring myself to a suspended SS.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Eltbee
    Any idea on where one can find the geometry and measurements on the Kona Unit? There is nothing on the kona website (or at least it's not obvious to me).
    in the tech section you can download a pdf there with the geometries. it's for the 2003 i think but they didnt change the sizing as far as i know.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by midtnSS
    The On-one has either a ebb or track dropout like your Surly(may repeat brake issues), but the sliding dropouts on the Unit look really sweet. The Unit is a higher grade lighter steel too. That would be my choice. I just can't bring myself to a suspended SS.
    I agree on the suspension thing...the idea seems cool but i dont know how practical it is. I'm trying to find a # so i can call kona to speak with them but so far no luck.

paintbucket
    Given how choosy you are, I think you'd be very well served to go custom rather than off the shelf.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Given how choosy you are, I think you'd be very well served to go custom rather than off the shelf.
    I'm considering Spicer since they are in the price range and offer reasonable wait times for builds. If someone wants to give me an extra 500 bucks for a custom frame i'm all for it. I'd drive up to vicious this evening to have them build me one. I have a hard time dropping over a grand into a frame...

Cracker-magnon
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    and the on-one is about 490 i think.
    I don't know if you can still get an EBB Inbred. The new ones will have sliding drops like the Unit. not sure on when they will be available.

edit..it looks like they still have 20" ebb's in stock if that is your size.

IMHO I would go unit or inbred, but I like my ride rigid in the rear.
    "Life is a [email protected]#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

mtbr member
    The surly lived a short but healthy life and shall be going for sale once i decide on a new frame. a few reasons why: size and wheel slippage with discs.

I'm debating between the following frames:

Kona Unit, Kona A w/ remote lockout, and the on-one with ebb. prices range from the kona unit around 400, kona a at 549 and the on-one is about 490 i think.

not sure on the full suspension single speed. with remote lockout it seems like it would be a great ride but i know of noone that has even ridden it on a trail. unit i know is solid but i dont know much about the on-one either.

right now i'm leaning towards the A because i think it would be very nice for my endurance races and with the remote lockout bob shouldnt be a problem.

after that, i'm torn between the unit and inbred. both seem like solid rides but i like the fact the on-one will be cleaner being disc only and i wouldn't have to fiddle with the slides in the rear and disc alignment.

opinions???
    Have you looked at the Kona Explosif? Looks like a nice versatile design. Probably a little heavy though, being composed of all Tru-Temper Ox tubing.

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by gpsser
    I don't know if you can still get an EBB Inbred. The new ones will have sliding drops like the Unit. not sure on when they will be available.

edit..it looks like they still have 20" ebb's in stock if that is your size.

IMHO I would go unit or inbred, but I like my ride rigid in the rear.
    The A seems to have been eliminated because i called kona and asked for the HT length. They told me 150mm which seems rather long for the 20" model. My fork won't come close at all to fitting in that. If that unit is like that as well it's gone. the inbred i know will fit fine. i'm going to call another place for another measurement to make sure...the kona isnt any lighter than the on-one in fact the on-one is lighter.

semi-evolved simian
    The A seems to have been eliminated because i called kona and asked for the HT length. They told me 150mm which seems rather long for the 20" model. My fork won't come close at all to fitting in that. If that unit is like that as well it's gone. the inbred i know will fit fine. i'm going to call another place for another measurement to make sure...the kona isnt any lighter than the on-one in fact the on-one is lighter.
    The headtube on my 20" Explosif is pretty darn long, 150mm would certainly be possible. I can get a better measurement tonight if you're interested.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by SofaRider
    I had a chance to ride a pre-production A! It was a little small for me, but was a pretty cool ride. I only rode it for a couple of miles, but it seemed to work great for what it was. The one thing I didn't really like about it was that it bobbed pretty bad when I was trying to crank up a hill and robbed me of some power -- but a remote lock-out would take care of that. In my opinion, well worth the $550.
    I found a little snag in the A's armor besides the really long HT. 550 doesnt include the shock price.

indigosky

Hey Sean...

I was at Bath Ski & Cycle (www.bikeman.com) this weekend, and they have Units in stock. Just FYI...

To bad about the Surly, so far I haven't had issues with my rear wheel, but then again I got an xt disc hub with bolt on axle...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Rode an A

I had a chance to ride a pre-production A! It was a little small for me, but was a pretty cool ride. I only rode it for a couple of miles, but it seemed to work great for what it was. The one thing I didn't really like about it was that it bobbed pretty bad when I was trying to crank up a hill and robbed me of some power -- but a remote lock-out would take care of that. In my opinion, well worth the $550.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mine'sAPint
    The headtube on my 20" Explosif is pretty darn long, 150mm would certainly be possible. I can get a better measurement tonight if you're interested.
    Yes i just got a confirmation on it. Looks like the kona's are out for sure since i dont really want to buy another fox 80rlt!

banned
    Have you looked at the Kona Explosif? Looks like a nice versatile design. Probably a little heavy though, being composed of all Tru-Temper Ox tubing
    Billy, for my purposes (SS, XC, FR) I think OX Platinum is NOT heavy tubing, not even in its burliest gauges. I have two Curtlo frames made from OX Plat, one in burly gauge with extra top/down/headtube gussets, and both are quite light for their strength and fine ride.
    Besides, I can shed a pound from my body much easier than trying to get some flyweight tubeset to hold up to the trails I ride.

++++++++++

spooky, I would suggest calling Vulture Cycles. Wade knows his stuff and could build you a fine custom EBB SS frame for not a whole lot of money... good values from Vulture.

Vulture Cycles website.
    Last edited by gonzostrike; 05-10-2004 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member

I called Kona about the "A" a few months back.

Their reply was that the one guy in the office is riding one and I think he likes it.

Thanks all the info the could offer.

KMan

I agree on the suspension thing...the idea seems cool but i dont know how practical it is. I'm trying to find a # so i can call kona to speak with them but so far no luck.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzostrike
    Billy, for my purposes (SS, XC, FR) I think OX Platinum is NOT heavy tubing, not even in its burliest gauges. I have two Curtlo frames made from OX Plat, one in burly gauge with extra top/down/headtube gussets, and both are quite light for their strength and fine ride.
    Besides, I can shed a pound from my body much easier than trying to get some flyweight tubeset to hold up to the trails I ride.

++++++++++

spooky, I would suggest calling Vulture Cycles. Wade knows his stuff and could build you a fine custom EBB SS frame for not a whole lot of money... good values from Vulture.

Vulture Cycles website.
    Yes, I've had a COMPLETE change of heart and will heed the advice by a few of you here. I'm going to have a custom built frame and in the long run be probably way happier. Right now i'm getting quotes from TETcycles, Spicer and i'm going to call Wade in a bit to see what he has to offer. Ideally i'd like to have one by vicious cycles since i could go to the shop and pick it up but i'm having a difficult time convincing myself their frame is worth 400-500 dollars more than the above guys.

Frequent Crasher
    Another vote for Vulture. Wade will not dissapoint you! I am considering another frame from him right now.
    SB