mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Advantages of SS specific rear hub over geared modified SS hub???

What do I stand to gain?

mtbr member
    My understanding is the rear wheel will be stronger as the spokes will have less dish. I am curious if this is actually noticable.

mtbr member

Re: Advantages of SS specific rear hub over geared modified SS hub???

I feel like I notice the difference (my brother has another km with similar wheel spec but 10 spd xt hub) but it might be in my mind. No one riding my bike has ever said 'damn your rear wheel is stiff' when we trade bikes. Then again I outweigh them by 50 or 60 lbs so maybe it doesn't matter till you get to a certain weight class.

Could be qr with tug vs bolt on that I feel too, definitely noticed a huge difference there when I converted my surly hub.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member

Advantages of SS specific rear hub over geared modified SS hub???

Dishing shouldn't be noticeable under normal use, but where it traditionally pays off is durability, i.e. mean time between truing and resistance to catastrophic failure in a crash. That being said, if you want to under spoke your wheel it might matter. So if you need 28 spokes on a normal wheel, perhaps you can get away with 24 on a SS-specific wheel.

JM2C

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    There does seem to be alot more high engagement SS hubs out there which do make a difference. I have a Hope on both my AM and SS and the SS hub feel quite alot different.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    I just built up a set of SS wheels and had my first ride....too may variables to say if one can feel the difference, but as mentioned, going on theory, I felt more confident using lighter spokes and rim. I'll need a year or more to really get a feel for them, but all good on the maiden voyage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The advantage to zero dish is that all the spokes will be equal tension which leads to long term durability. We also took advantage of using larger diameter 30mm axles and bearing in our SS hubs, since there is no need for a tiny road bike size cassette with 11T cogs.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan View Post
    The advantage to zero dish is that all the spokes will be equal tension which leads to long term durability. We also took advantage of using larger diameter 30mm axles and bearing in our SS hubs, since there is no need for a tiny road bike size cassette with 11T cogs.
    are they out yet? Not that I am in the market anymore, but interested to know.

What's "social pace?"
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by finch2 View Post
    I just built up a set of SS wheels and had my first ride....too may variables to say if one can feel the difference, but as mentioned, going on theory, I felt more confident using lighter spokes and rim. I'll need a year or more to really get a feel for them, but all good on the maiden voyage.
    I've been riding SS-specific hubs for about five years now. Hope Trials, Chubs, and now Profile Elites. To me, they feel like wheels. It's not worth stressing too much. Shoot, tire pressure makes a bigger deal.

That said, the earlier poster who mentioned the superior engagement of some SS-specific hubs is right. If you're gonna SS, might as well build it up right.

1*14*29*2.1 & 1*1*29*2.4
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dinoadventures View Post
    I've been riding SS-specific hubs for about five years now. Hope Trials, Chubs, and now Profile Elites. To me, they feel like wheels. It's not worth stressing too much. Shoot, tire pressure makes a bigger deal.

That said, the earlier poster who mentioned the superior engagement of some SS-specific hubs is right. If you're gonna SS, might as well build it up right.
    yeah....loving the WI trials freewheel. The Paul hubs are just awesome too, not just due to the flange spacing

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    finch2,

Our hubs should be out in September. We had a lot of hot projects lately and new products are always the ones that get pushed back. But we do continue to test and refine the design in the mean time, so it is time well spent.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey TacoMan, I just looked over your website and if you all (Lunar) ever make a single speed frame with an ebb, I'll be on the lookout. Made in USA too!
    One Gear Under God

Got a suspension fork
    I switched to a SS rear wheel. To be honest I don't notice the wheel being stiffer than the pervious geared wheel I was using. But any wheelbuilder will tell you that a SS non-dished rear is a stronger rear wheel, I was changing wheelsets anyway and saw no reason to go geared when SS specific is a better choice for a SSer.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Winning
    Jul 2013
    I'm building a SS rear wheel, considering the White Industries Eric's Eno Hub with the brake mount adaptor. The adaptable axle options are awesome, and made in Northern is a huge plus! I must say that the Lunar Ss-88 looks pretty amazing! I'd love to try one out.