awesome

Adjusting rear wheel with track ends.

Hey all, how do you go about adjusting/centering your rear wheel with track end drop outs? Is there a sure proof method to leave out the guesswork, for example by using calipers? I'm using XT qr and I have noticed the axle is not the same thickness on each end, so I guess it's no use measuring the set screws.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I always use chain tugs, but mainly because I don't want to scratch up the pain with the nuts. They make it easier to get the wheel centered and tensioned appropriately. I usually just pull the wheel straight back, check the clearance of the tire between the chainstays to make sure it is even on both sides, then I tighten the nuts by hand, check the tension, then tighten the nuts a little, check everything, then cinch it down and check again.

mtbr member
    jab a tennis ball between the tire and the rear of the seat tube. This is a safe method of making sure there will be tension on the chain. Tighten away.

awesome
    thanks guys

is buachail foighneach me
    are you talking more about perfect alignment than chain tension? if so, just eyeball it. you should be able to get it close enough to not matter.

awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    are you talking more about perfect alignment than chain tension? if so, just eyeball it. you should be able to get it close enough to not matter.
    Yes I was talking alignment, so I guess eyeballing it is

Members who have read this thread: 0