Adjusting Chainline question??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Adjusting Chainline question??

Posted this in the wrong forum originally.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have finished up building my new single speed after receiving my rear wheel last night from Oddsandendos. WI Eno eccentric hub, Mavic 3.1 ust rim, DT Supercomp spokes with an ENO 18T freewheel. (fyi Mike was great again to deal with and shipped as promised...price was excellent @ around $240 shipped for everything!).

My question is on the chainline. I am using a FSA Carbon Team crank with Truvative 33t ring and a 73x113 FSA BB (ISIS). The chainline looks off a bit in that the inner plates on each link is rubbing against the teeth on the freewheel. I "assume" my only remedy to try and correct the chainline is to use a shorter BB (73x108)?? I have not ridden the bike yet, but from messing around in the basement I think it is rideable the way it is....but I am one of the anal bike people that everything needs to be perfect.

Another option I have is as I can switch cranks on my FS bike which is a 5 arm compact FSA using a square tapered BB set-up. I do have a Race Face BB that allows to adjust the chainline. The problem with this I would need to find somewhere that sells a compact 5 arm 33T ring. (I am keeping perminant the 18T Eno freewheel and if I ever decide to change gearing I am chainging the front ring). I really want to stay with a 33T front ring as well...as a 32/18 I do spin out a bit too much and a 32/17 was a bit tough at times. I think a 33/18 would be perfect for me.

Which is the better route to persue and will offer the best solution......
    New BB with a shorter spindle length.......Cost probably around $60-70
    Switch to the square tapered setup with the adjustable BB and locate a 33T 5 arm ring somewhere. cost around $40.

Thanks for any suggestions and insight
    KMan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Switch to the square tapered setup with the adjustable BB and locate a 33T 5 arm ring somewhere. cost around $40.

KMan
    Can you use a 34 t

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Mercha..._Code=COMPCRSS

mtbr member

I can actually find a 33T ring

from Warhawk industries, but there have been a few post about delivery. I have called them to check on availabilty on the 33t ring for a 5 arm compact. As I stated in my original post, I really do not want to use a 34t ring. I know some may say that the 1 tooth is not that big of a difference, but I have a bad back and do not want the added stress if I don't have to.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Chainwhipped

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Square vs. Splined

hey K-man

i hear ya' about the right gearing. one tooth makes all the difference... if it didn't, why would all the gearies be running 27 speed drivetrains?! of course, a tooth in the rear makes a greater difference than one in the front, but it all adds up; and we are all unique individuals who should have the right set up for us and only us.
    that said, i am going to switch my gearing from 33 x 16 to 33 x 18 so i will have some semblance of my knees after the 12 and 24 hr races coming up on the schedule!

i am running 2 setups on 2 SS's. the first is an XT square taper BB running 175mm race face cranks and the second is a gigapipe SL splined BB spinning a set of 180mm stylo cranks. the difference in stiffness is really noticeable, and i think that there are many advantages to a splined system, esp. on a SS where you are torque-ing so hard on the cranks. try to find the correct chainline with a splined BB in my opinion. a true performance enhancement (and easier to remove for maintenance).

adam
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Posted this in the wrong forum originally.....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have finished up building my new single speed after receiving my rear wheel last night from Oddsandendos. WI Eno eccentric hub, Mavic 3.1 ust rim, DT Supercomp spokes with an ENO 18T freewheel. (fyi Mike was great again to deal with and shipped as promised...price was excellent @ around $240 shipped for everything!).

My question is on the chainline. I am using a FSA Carbon Team crank with Truvative 33t ring and a 73x113 FSA BB (ISIS). The chainline looks off a bit in that the inner plates on each link is rubbing against the teeth on the freewheel. I "assume" my only remedy to try and correct the chainline is to use a shorter BB (73x108)?? I have not ridden the bike yet, but from messing around in the basement I think it is rideable the way it is....but I am one of the anal bike people that everything needs to be perfect.

Another option I have is as I can switch cranks on my FS bike which is a 5 arm compact FSA using a square tapered BB set-up. I do have a Race Face BB that allows to adjust the chainline. The problem with this I would need to find somewhere that sells a compact 5 arm 33T ring. (I am keeping perminant the 18T Eno freewheel and if I ever decide to change gearing I am chainging the front ring). I really want to stay with a 33T front ring as well...as a 32/18 I do spin out a bit too much and a 32/17 was a bit tough at times. I think a 33/18 would be perfect for me.

Which is the better route to persue and will offer the best solution......
    New BB with a shorter spindle length.......Cost probably around $60-70

Thanks for any suggestions and insight
    KMan

Have you tried putting your chainring in the middle position? Aside from that, its BB spindle change time. You could also try flipping around the bottom bracket, some BBs will allow that, and have different length sizes on either end.

With the non shifting gears, having the chainline a little off should not be a problem.

You could use spacers, but thats asking for trouble, IMO.

mtbr member

Question for you...

Your XT, is that a five arm? Where did you find a compact 5 arm 33t ring?
    I have been able to only find it thru one source, which I have not been able to get a call thru to see if they actually have any.

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    hey K-man

i hear ya' about the right gearing. one tooth makes all the difference... if it didn't, why would all the gearies be running 27 speed drivetrains?! of course, a tooth in the rear makes a greater difference than one in the front, but it all adds up; and we are all unique individuals who should have the right set up for us and only us.
    that said, i am going to switch my gearing from 33 x 16 to 33 x 18 so i will have some semblance of my knees after the 12 and 24 hr races coming up on the schedule!

i am running 2 setups on 2 SS's. the first is an XT square taper BB running 175mm race face cranks and the second is a gigapipe SL splined BB spinning a set of 180mm stylo cranks. the difference in stiffness is really noticeable, and i think that there are many advantages to a splined system, esp. on a SS where you are torque-ing so hard on the cranks. try to find the correct chainline with a splined BB in my opinion. a true performance enhancement (and easier to remove for maintenance).

adam

mtbr member

The answer....I think.

If you can't get a BB that corrects the chain line then I would scrap the whole project.
    No, how about this:
    - A 33 x 18 ratio is 1.83 to 1.
    - Use your 5 arm compact FSA crank and RF taper lock bb and get a 20T ENO and 36T chain ring. Sell or return the 18T ENO.
    - 36 x 20 (1.8 to 1) is close to a 33 x 18, but then you may be limited to getting to an easier gear by only changing chainrings.

Or you could stop being so darn picky and just ride the bike as is. I'm sure it's fine and you'll be getting a new bike in a couple of weeks anyway. Haha...see you on the trails punk (If it ever stops raining).

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Should have specified...

Your XT, is that a five arm? Where did you find a compact 5 arm 33t ring?
    I have been able to only find it thru one source, which I have not been able to get a call thru to see if they actually have any.

KMan
    I should have specified that my Race Face setup is running a 34t chainring and an 18t rear freewheel (my Bianchi BuSS with v-brakes).
    The 33t x 16/18t setup is on my newer Stylo and Gigapipe combo (my Jamis with discs).

Adam
    Spinning and Grinning...

the horror...

test message ignore

testdddd

the horror...

test reply please ignore

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinHole
    testdddd
    test test